Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Separate Project Locations for Mixbus & Mixbus32C
(01-02-2017, 02:21 PM)bapu Wrote: Naming files is a work around but to me it's a 1980s concept for a 21st Century DAW (I've been programming since 1978, btw).

All I'm asking for is an "option" to have Mixbux3 and Mixbus32C keep separate default locations for projects. I'd move (or copy) a project if I want it migrated between the two.

Proper file naming helps keeping things tidy. Everywhere. It's not a workaround for Mixbus.
Regarding Mixbus: It should be easy to start either program via script, which switches between two versions of the config file which provides the last ten sessions, depending on which Mixbus you have started. I'm only programming since 1986 but I feel totally confident to do such.

MMM
(12-29-2016, 04:59 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(12-28-2016, 01:52 AM)Bart Wrote: Ben- I think this is a really good idea - I've had strange problems accidentally opening a 32C project with Mixbus and vice versa. I usually have to take notes so I know which project was created with which version.

I include the mixbus version in the filename... and touching the other thread regarding file explorer sorting: my solution for session names is
[YYYY][MM][DD]_<actual_session_name>__MBv2
[YYYY][MM][DD]_<actual_session_name>__MBv3
[YYYY][MM][DD]_<actual_session_name>__MB32Cv3

Everything which doesn't follow this convention is before MixBus32C and can be opened with v3. I still carry a v2, though, but didn't start it in ages Smile
If I open one of the "pre-convention" sessions I rename it to follow the scheme.

Cheers,
MMM

I see the default location as a scratch pad. When recordings are finished data is moved to a separated drive which is also backuped.

I make a setup of the channels before i start recording and save that in a template. I use the template for each recording f a tune

Basic directory is in home/sessions. In there i have map group/record/tune

Tune has as tune name <name>Take#-V#-App
Take#=take number
V# = mix version number
app is MB<version> or 32C<Version>

example /sessions/AFZB/Untitled/train-take2-V4-32c-XXXXX
Is the tune train, second take, fourth mix made by MB32C-XXXX from the group AFZB, album title still not determined

I do not include the date, like MMM that is automatic, sorting is by tune/take#/mixversion#

in /sessions/group i have a Lyx (=editor) file with group related info, same in record , and same in tune. These documents travel with the group directory and to achive. Before archiving the lyx files are converted into PDF

I use Lyx because i do not have to typeset the document. and when the app cannot read it : version is outdated VI can. It is TeX based.

Aside from that i have a simple wiki : dokuwiki : it contains all information in a structured fashion., pages and info are linked via bookmarks. The pages can be edited at the same time at diffrent locations : and can be read and edited on each machine i have. It is standard on each desktop i open.

If i see a good idea : it goes into the wiki: i also do not make bookmarks in the browser, But I save the bookmark in the wiki with a note about what is important. I use different browsers on different OS es : No need for a search where i found it : the url is in the Wiki

Maybe sounds cumbersome : but all has worked for me and in a team..

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(01-03-2017, 08:39 AM)Frank Wrote: Aside from that i have a simple wiki

*facepalm*
Man I use Wikis all the time for IT and sysadmin stuff for years. Never had the idea to make one for my studio work. Sometimes I'm really thick...
Thanks Franks Smile

MMM