Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mixbus and IKIS
Hi Ben & Tim,

are there any plans to marry Mixbus with (maybe a light edition) of IKIS? I'm dreaming of unlimited processing power by just adding another Linux-machine into my server rack and keeping the noise away from my mixing desk... Also control surfaces (maybe from Harrison?) under IKIS would be a dream...

What do my fellow users think?

MMM
Nice Idea : but will it be afforable ?

I was thinking of netJack. In a few week time i have some extra time: and i will start experimenting with that.

Thinking of a laptop and a mac mini as a second computer connected via netjack: to be portable
Have a AU host run on the mini
Mixbus on the laptop, getting the output of the mini via rj45/netjack
we can even create mixed environments than.. (Linux , OSX Wink

Kind regards

Frank
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(10-02-2013, 12:18 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Hi Ben & Tim,
are there any plans to marry Mixbus with (maybe a light edition) of IKIS?

Good thread starter madmaxmiller...
I would love to see an off-line version that allows you to integrate Mixbus and IKIS, so I could edit/premix and then transition to a larger room/console.
Also the reverse, clip based automation editing within Mixbus for the inevitable recuts...
Have you guys considered releasing such x-tools as the multi band Exp and Comp, and your de-esser, even if it is available to IKIS owners only?

Regards and thanks for all the work!

Dingo
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(10-02-2013, 12:18 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Hi Ben & Tim,
are there any plans to marry Mixbus with (maybe a light edition) of IKIS?

That's a very interesting question. We didn't expect there to be much overlap between our console customers and our Mixbus customers yet.

IKIS is a studio control center that connects multiple workstations, processing engines, big control surface(s), audio routing, and external gear (such as reverbs) into one big system. IKIS does the overall session management (Save/recall) and automation for a multi-box system.

Mixbus is an in-the-box system so its not clear how many features from IKIS make sense to incorporate.

However I can certainly see the possibility of an IKIS+Mixbus system, where IKIS is the master controller for several Mixbus systems acting as playback, DSP, and recording machines.

(10-06-2013, 04:32 PM)Dingo Wrote: Have you guys considered releasing such x-tools as the multi band Exp and Comp, and your de-esser, even if it is available to IKIS owners only?

Yes, the XT plugins (available at our Mixbus store) are derived from the X-Tools console DSP. We've only released a multiband compressor and EQ so far. But more are coming.

-Ben
(10-07-2013, 09:05 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: IKIS is a studio control center that connects multiple workstations, processing engines, big control surface(s), audio routing, and external gear (such as reverbs) into one big system. IKIS does the overall session management (Save/recall) and automation for a multi-box system.

Yeah I see, the intersection set might not be huge (hence "light" version) but the idea of integration of outboard gear and external computing racks and coupling Mixbus sessions easily has something. To the extreme, you could sit somewhere in the bush with your laptop but have a huge rack somewhere in the cloud... and in the time you are not working yourself you could rent the computing power out to other users...

(10-07-2013, 09:05 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Yes, the XT plugins (available at our Mixbus store) are derived from the X-Tools console DSP. We've only released a multiband compressor and EQ so far. But more are coming.

Yay, looking forward to this. I loce my XT-EQ, still need to learn how to use the MT efficiently Wink

MMM

(10-06-2013, 08:12 AM)Frank Wrote: I was thinking of netJack. In a few week time i have some extra time: and i will start experimenting with that.

Keep me in the loop with that: I plan to investigate into netJack, too. Maybe we can open a dedicated netjack thread?

MMM
(10-07-2013, 09:05 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: That's a very interesting question. We didn't expect there to be much overlap between our console customers and our Mixbus customers yet.

-Ben

@Ben and @Tim, I think this is one of the biggest assets that you (Harrison) bring to the table. There is a reason Sony Motion Pictures, NBCUniversal, Wildfire, etc have chosen Harrison. I think the best (only) way to separate yourselves from the over-crowded DAW market is to bring the MPC-5 experience to the people who don't have access to price-is-no-object consoles.

Everyone has access to MIDI. Everyone has access to many things that MixBus is hinting at as improvements. But not many have access to the MPC-5 experience. Give us that. Nobody else can.

-James

(10-06-2013, 08:12 AM)Frank Wrote: I was thinking of netJack. In a few week time i have some extra time: and i will start experimenting with that.

Keep me in the loop with that: I plan to investigate into netJack, too. Maybe we can open a dedicated netjack thread?

MMM
[/quote]

I will keep you informed : not a bad idea to make a dedicated thread.
Plan to make it Xplatform : Linux, OSX/BSD, and even Windows.
Collecting machines now.
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(10-11-2013, 03:00 PM)Frank Wrote: I will keep you informed : not a bad idea to make a dedicated thread.

done Smile