Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MixBus 3.7 ffado Alesis IO14 and or Echo AudioFire 2
Hi!
I would love to use my Alesis IO14 and IO26 with Mixbus on Linux.
I love these interfaces, they are built like tanks, sound great and have 2 headphone amps and ADAT in.
And I think they should be supported in Linux now.
But I cannot get it to work - and I am new to ffado.
PC desktop with Ubuntu 16.10. Texas firewire chip on Mobo.
Added myself as audio user. Installed ffado tools 2.3.
Apparently Echo AudioFire 2 should be fully supported and I have one of those
here so I though let's try that first.
It is not possible to start Mixbus 3.7 with Jack with either Echo or Alesis IO
and I now also see that it is not possibe to start with jack on a Ubuntu laptop with built in
audio. It therefore seems that Jack is not working anywhere for me..
So first, am I supposed to use Jack? Or should it be Alsa? Totally confused...
With Alsa I can get sound from PC with both Alesis and Echo
BUT then there are crackles and noise....
So since there are noise from a fully supported card, I must do something wrong...
Any clues where I should start?
Anyone has a similar setup?
kind regards
Petter
The Echo Audiofire should most certainly work. If fact I am pretty sure it will work even without FFADO. I believe the Audiofire drivers are now a part of ALSA (as are the DICE drivers). At least they are with my Audiofire 12. There are plenty of good jack troubleshooting resources available including the jack web page. I use Fedora, so I am totally not familiar with the Ubuntu/Debian way of doing things.

To troubleshoot, try starting jack from a command line. You can learn much from doing that. Install QJackCtl. It is also helpful in configuring. Also, using two different sound devices, you have to use jack_in/jack_out to connect them. There is also a zita-ajbridge which supposedly works better than alsa_in/alsa_out, but I have not yet tried it. Definitely try the Audiofire by itself first and see how that works. Then try the Alesis by itself. If you can make them both work individually, then start messing with alsa_in/alsa_out to bridge them together.

This link might be helpful regarding the Alesis IO 14. Look at the bottom entry. http://ffado.org/?q=node/36
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
It might help to set qjackctl Periods/Buffer setting to 3.

http://libremusicproduction.com/articles...arted-jack has details for connections

search youtube for qjackctl for video setup examples, and hydrogen, zynaddsubfx
rakarrack videos often start with that.
Cheers
(11-26-2016, 03:39 AM)micksedan Wrote: It might help to set qjackctl Periods/Buffer setting to 3.

http://libremusicproduction.com/articles...arted-jack has details for connections

search youtube for qjackctl for video setup examples, and hydrogen, zynaddsubfx
rakarrack videos often start with that.
Cheers

Thanks for the tips!
I have solved it now and posted a new thread with a how-to-manual.