Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stability
Hi,

I am very interested by mixbus (like : a lot) but what concerns me is that it looks very very much like Ardour... and it's probably ardour underneath.

Yet I distrust Ardour quite a lot (i've seen this thing crash so many times, and I have lost so many hours because of this... I won't go back)*.

So, is mixbus a ripoff of ardour (with few extra features) or is this a real fork with dedicated devs working for it ?

Thanks

*Please do not give me the usual "It works for me" stuff : it's not my question. Maybe ardour has gotten better, but I still can't trust it : a single barely paid dev can't add features and provide pro-grade stability at the same time. At least, not in the long run.
Generally speaking, Mixbus is Ardour combined with some Harrison addons, commercial-quality testing, documentation, and support.

We work very closely with the Ardour developers on a daily basis. The Ardour "platform" is no longer developed by a single person. Paul acts as the gatekeeper to manage additions to the Ardour source code. But there are quite a few developers, both professional and hobbyists, that are now working on Ardour every day.

-Ben at Harrison
Between Harrison and waves, ardour has came a long ways in the past couple of years. Not sure when the last time you tried ardour was, but by the way you talk, long enough to warrant another look IMO. And there is not a demo of mixbus available.
There -is- a demo of Mixbus available. It's on the right side of the product page:
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
(11-09-2016, 05:08 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: There -is- a demo of Mixbus available. It's on the right side of the product page:
http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html
The demo is also part of the debian based bootable AVlinux dvd
at www.bandshed.net
Ardour has been very solid in the 5.x era, and I've found Mixbus 3.6
a very able host for linux vst and lv2 plugins.

The waveform visuals of Mixbus processed audio show the results of
working with plugins as a team, as opposed to always starting from scratch.
Sounds fine to me!
(11-09-2016, 03:07 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: Generally speaking, Mixbus is Ardour combined with some Harrison addons, commercial-quality testing, documentation, and support.

We work very closely with the Ardour developers on a daily basis. The Ardour "platform" is no longer developed by a single person. Paul acts as the gatekeeper to manage additions to the Ardour source code. But there are quite a few developers, both professional and hobbyists, that are now working on Ardour every day.

-Ben at Harrison

Thanks a lot Ben,

I feared a flame war, but got a quick and pro answer instead. So I guess everything you said is true Smile
(11-09-2016, 02:24 PM)Aberration Wrote: Hi,

I am very interested by mixbus (like : a lot) but what concerns me is that it looks very very much like Ardour... and it's probably ardour underneath.

Yet I distrust Ardour quite a lot (i've seen this thing crash so many times, and I have lost so many hours because of this... I won't go back)*.

So, is mixbus a ripoff of ardour (with few extra features) or is this a real fork with dedicated devs working for it ?

Thanks

*Please do not give me the usual "It works for me" stuff : it's not my question. Maybe ardour has gotten better, but I still can't trust it : a single barely paid dev can't add features and provide pro-grade stability at the same time. At least, not in the long run.
Ardour and mixbus is getting much better, I'm impressed by both mixbus and Ardour, just hang in there, it's much better to have issues with these kinds of developers because they are so close to our requests, you won't get this kind of costomer support with a commercial company, try contacting avid about issues or other companies, but In honesty, it's getting better,

Issues I have since I'm using a mac OS is laggy plugins, from some fancy Gui and other popular plugin companies, but if you run Linux and use there plugins you should have less issues,
I am looking into leaving a lot of my commercial plugins behind, there's lots of free stuff now I can use.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk