Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I just installed Linux on a Mac Mini and it looks (too?) good!
(11-04-2016, 04:30 PM)kkrekula Wrote: Hi,

as Macs nowadays run on pretty "standard" hardware, I installed Ubuntu Mate on my Mac Mini (and adapted the Ubuntu Studio packages).

After setting up dual boot, I tested the performance of Mixbus 3.6 both in Mac and Linux using the same song. Surprisingly there were big performance gains using Linux:

Mixbus DSP was running at about 36% in OSX, 23% in Linux and the system load was much lower.

I also performed an export test (exported the song to ogg vorbis) and Mixbus was 35% faster in Linux! Big Grin

Has anyone of you experienced the same?

Regards
Kenneth
Hmm that's interesting, I'm running on a Mac but I want more performance, was the song at the same buffer settings etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
(11-05-2016, 12:25 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: Hmm that's interesting, I'm running on a Mac but I want more performance, was the song at the same buffer settings etc

Yes it was the same song and identical settings.

Good news for you is that the v3.7 Mac version runs much better! Almost identical to Linux now.

/Kenneth

(11-04-2016, 04:48 PM)Frank Wrote: While testing i saw that Mixbus 3.7 was faster: Ben made me aware of the following qoute from the improvements :

Previous versions would only utilize physical processors (ignoring hyperthreading processors) This has been fixed to match operation on linux and windows.

It would be interesting if you could repeat your test with Mixbus 3.7 !

Yes v3.7 runs faster on the Mac. Almost the same performance as Linux now.

/Kenneth
(11-05-2016, 06:58 AM)kkrekula Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 12:25 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: Hmm that's interesting, I'm running on a Mac but I want more performance, was the song at the same buffer settings etc

Yes it was the same song and identical settings.

Good news for you is that the v3.7 Mac version runs much better! Almost identical to Linux now.

/Kenneth

(11-04-2016, 04:48 PM)Frank Wrote: While testing i saw that Mixbus 3.7 was faster: Ben made me aware of the following qoute from the improvements :

Previous versions would only utilize physical processors (ignoring hyperthreading processors) This has been fixed to match operation on linux and windows.

It would be interesting if you could repeat your test with Mixbus 3.7 !

Yes v3.7 runs faster on the Mac. Almost the same performance as Linux now.

/Kenneth

Thanks for testing and reporting !!

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
indicator-cpufreq is a useful app that allows accurate control over cpu settings
and even clock ticks. It's in many repos. It puts a speedometer icon on the taskbar,
with three menu popups:

Time Between Updates (ticks)
Set CPU Power Policy
Powersaving Behavior

Quite handy to maximise the processor for audio sessions!

I have E17, E19, and IceWm for gui's which are very low on cpu consumption.
It's very unlikely mac or win interfaces will ever be faster than those. I also
strip away all user apps which I will never use, firmware for things I don't have,
and competing system utilities, if I understand the consequences. My /usr/bin folder
is a whopping 384 meg.

Looking forward to using 3.7!

That U-he Repro-1 is a bargain beast instrument, great sound, new fx, and versatility
that minimizes it's mono-ism.
Cheers