Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C Compressor characteritics
Hi,

What would be the characteristics of the compressor found on each channel strip in Mixbus 32C regarding attack and release ?

Thanks.
There's this: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...techniques

It tells you what the characteristics are, but I'm not sure (based on a quick skim) it includes any actual numbers. Not sure exactly what you're looking for.
As described in the manual:

The Leveler has an adjustable attack, a very low ratio, and a very fast release.
The Compressor has a fast attack, an adjustable "ratio", and uses a program-dependent auto-release.
The Limiter has a very fast attack, a fairly high ratio, and an adjustable "release" time.

For the adjustable values, you can see the exact value of the ( attack, ratio, & release ) in the channel's text display, while you are turning the knob.
(11-02-2016, 09:43 AM)dustinnr Wrote: There's this: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/m...techniques

It tells you what the characteristics are, but I'm not sure (based on a quick skim) it includes any actual numbers. Not sure exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks. Lots of information in there. I took several notes.

In Mixbus 32C compressor mode though, the control - by control I mean the rotary knob at the bottom of the threshold slider - is for ratio whereas in the video (Mixbus V2) it is said to be a combined control for attack and release (knob labeled FAST/SLO). The text mentions that it has fixed attack and release times.

So my question still remains: what would be the attack and release times ?

Thanks.
The compressors changed dramatically between v2 and v3.

In v2, the leveler mode was very popular, but users rarely used the compressor/limiter modes, as they were essentially the same algorithm but with a higher ratio. In v3, all of the modes are different algorithms entirely, to suit the needs of each mode.

The "leveler" mode is the same as v2, but the other 2 modes are quite different in v3. You should ignore the v2 video in this regard, and instead refer to the v3 manual.
(11-02-2016, 10:26 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: As described in the manual:

The Leveler has an adjustable attack, a very low ratio, and a very fast release.
The Compressor has a fast attack, an adjustable "ratio", and uses a program-dependent auto-release.
The Limiter has a very fast attack, a fairly high ratio, and an adjustable "release" time.

For the adjustable values, you can see the exact value of the ( attack, ratio, & release ) in the channel's text display, while you are turning the knob.

So, how true is this:

If it's important to adjust the attack, use the leveler; if it's important to adjust the ratio, use the compressor; if it's important to adjust the release, use the limiter. If it's important to adjust all three, use a third-party plugin.
(11-03-2016, 10:16 AM)retro Wrote: So, how true is this: If it's important to adjust the attack, use the leveler; if it's important to adjust the ratio, use the compressor; if it's important to adjust the release, use the limiter. If it's important to adjust all three, use a third-party plugin.

I would at least disagree with the last statement. A limiter will always have a high ratio, 20:1 being not uncommon while some say that starting from 10:1 limiting is in. Because one typical use of a compressor is to make it musical, to the BPM, with the adjustable release. It is not possible to switch to a limiter just because one wants to adjust a release time. Same with the attack statement. One cannot switch from a compressor, where the attack can be important to locate the sound in the audio field, to a leveler just because the attack time has to be adjusted. That makes no sense.

In any case, there can be multiple compressors on a single track, each one doing its own thing, and in this respect, the built-in Mixbus 32C leveler/compressor/limiter fits just fine.
I'm probably not as smart about mixing as many around here.

I tend to use the words Harrison gives to the three types of compressors as a guide to which one to use.
The Leveler is used to level out a track.
The Compressor is used to do "general duty" compressing.
The Limiter is used to do Limiting. Which I almost never do on individual tracks.

That said, I do understand wanting to know what they are actually doing - hence the reason I'm following this thread.
The compressor modes are intended to meet these 2 needs:

1) Professionals who are doing common tasks all day long ( "this dialog would benefit from a leveler") and want it under their fingertips.

2) Inexperienced users who don't know how to set a full-featured compressor knobs, and benefit from the simplicity of the 3 common setups.

So, when might you use a plugin compressor?

An expert might use a plugin compressor if they need a very specific sound for a signature track.

An inexperienced user might use a plugin compressor to learn what all the knobs do.

I think the important point is: you don't just put a compressor on for no reason. First you decide what's wrong, then you decide what tool(s) might fix the problem. The leveler/comp/limiter modes are designed to solve the most common day-to-day problems.
(11-02-2016, 10:26 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: As described in the manual:

Leveler = LA-2A ?
Compressor = DBX 160x in overeasy mode ?
Limiter = 1176 ?