Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Track name and color
Is it possible to have the functions: changing track-name and track-color in the same window. Saving time when you have 36 tracks to change...
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 - Intel i9 13900K - 64 GB DDR4 - NVIDEA GeForce RTX3060 Ti 8GB Gaming OC - SSD 1 TB 7000 mbps - FLstudio 21 - Studio One 6 Pro - Mixbus 9,2 32C - Tascam US2400 - Focusrite Clarett +8pre - Adam studio monitors - Windows 11 Pro
I am working on a feature to make this kind of management much easier, yes. Your input is appreciated.

I'm proposing a "session management" window which will list your tracks in a very compact way, and allow you to rename, color, reorder, group, add comments, and apply multiple track properties from one convenient place. This dialog will also allow you to select multiple tracks and rename them or color them together. I think this is best done from a separate window, rather than trying to shoehorn all kinds of features into the regular editor/mixer windows.

Does that sound like a good idea?
(08-24-2016, 01:27 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I am working on a feature to make this kind of management much easier, yes. Your input is appreciated.

I'm proposing a "session management" window which will list your tracks in a very compact way, and allow you to rename, color, reorder, group, add comments, and apply multiple track properties from one convenient place. This dialog will also allow you to select multiple tracks and rename them or color them together. I think this is best done from a separate window, rather than trying to shoehorn all kinds of features into the regular editor/mixer windows.

More than I expected, THX Ben
Be Quiet Pure Base 600 - Intel i9 13900K - 64 GB DDR4 - NVIDEA GeForce RTX3060 Ti 8GB Gaming OC - SSD 1 TB 7000 mbps - FLstudio 21 - Studio One 6 Pro - Mixbus 9,2 32C - Tascam US2400 - Focusrite Clarett +8pre - Adam studio monitors - Windows 11 Pro
This is a great idea. The workflow while mixing in MB is great. The session setup time can be a little clunky - this would improve that a lot.
Just thinking through what happens with each session I import...

It might also be a place to modify the default input for each track. Or at least disconnect the input. Maybe assigning inputs (or not) should just be an option when importing.

It'd be great if it could show the full track name (for some reasonable but longish length). This is often an issue when importing lots of tracks from someone else that all have similar prefixes.

One other thing I'm back-and-forth on regarding this would be assigning mixbusses and un-checking a master send. No need for send levels, just the assignments. It's often part of the grouping process.

And, as it seems always, a simple request is expanded fully by the MB team to become a genuine feature rather than one more checkbox. Awesome work. Thanks.
(08-25-2016, 09:27 AM)dustinnr Wrote: It might also be a place to modify the default input for each track. Or at least disconnect the input. Maybe assigning inputs (or not) should just be an option when importing.
You can edit the config file to set input connections to manual (Ardour has it as a preference option).

<Option name="input-auto-connect" value="0"/>

(08-25-2016, 09:27 AM)dustinnr Wrote: It'd be great if it could show the full track name (for some reasonable but longish length). This is often an issue when importing lots of tracks from someone else that all have similar prefixes.

Yeah. I tend to switch to editor view to see the full names in the regions. It would be handy if the tooltip on the mixer strip showed the full name of the track to give more of a clue for renaming them instead or as well as the "Right click to rename", which isn't that helpful once you know what to do.

(08-25-2016, 09:27 AM)dustinnr Wrote: One other thing I'm back-and-forth on regarding this would be assigning mixbusses and un-checking a master send. No need for send levels, just the assignments. It's often part of the grouping process.

I do all the grouping first, then it's a single ctrl click on one channel per group to assign a mixbus and turn off master send. Sometimes I end up with multiple groups going to a single mixbus, so it isn't always that simple. Multi miked snares for example get their own group to use as overall snare level control.

This is one of scenarios where I'd like to be able to select a bunch of tracks to work on as a temporary group for setting stuff across them, though when VCAs arrive it'll be less of an issue as I'll use those for level controls on multi miked stuff and can have all my drums in one group Smile
Thanks for the tip on the auto-connect. That will save a little hassle.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
(08-24-2016, 01:27 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: I am working on a feature to make this kind of management much easier, yes. Your input is appreciated.

What a nice idea Ben! I was similarly wondering about the 'Meters' window allowing the features it has to view ,arm,solo etc if they Cld also operate the functions? Considering the sizeable screens needed for the big picture of mixbus it would be great to create more functionality in every view of the DAW.. Workflow supportive [PERSON WITH FOLDED HANDS]
Would appreciate a normal color box option for tracks and also for theme.
The present kaleidoscope is unpractical, the theme color box has no logic.

Would suggest colors in rainbow order and not in a mess.
with the kaleidoscope no one on earth can select the same color twice. (asked 4 years ago)

Now that I studied the first win version of Ardour I know these nonproper options are not Harrison's "inventions" but adopted from Ardour as it is.

By the way the same regards a lot other "Mixbus issues" as well for example exported wave has delay (audio starts later than in the the track itself) both inArdour and Mixbus.
http://screencast.com/t/lsqTnvEm

Could the issues and bugs be suggested to repair in Ardour first or check Ardour issues before Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V into Mixbus?Smile

Thanks
Tassy

Yes, I like that. Something else that would be nice is:

Ability to name specific colors so I don't have to remember, "Oh, Sitar is suppose to be 'light purple'." etc.

Or better - An option to save Track Templates that can be applied as needed, maybe including Color, I\O, FX, etc.

I don't always remember to use a Session Template, or I change so much stuff, the template becomes useless.
Boyd
------------------------------------------
Windows 10 64; - Core i5 16GB; - RME Babyface; - MixBus 32C & XT plugins; Sonarworks Reference 4; Ozone 8; Neutron 2; Steven Slate Drums 5;
Superior Drummer 3; Ample Sound Bass & Guitar VSTi's; Behringer X-Touch

(09-03-2016, 11:51 PM)Boydbob Wrote: Or better - An option to save Track Templates that can be applied as needed, maybe including Color, I\O, FX, etc.

Yes, this would be a great place to save and apply track templates.