Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording with MB3 or 32C
Hi,
I'm always on the forum reading up on comments trying to learn more, I find it very helpful indeed.

However reading some comments about Recording, it seems most of the experienced people prefer to use other DAWS as opposed the MB 3 or MB 32C for their tracking or recording. Yet praise MB 3 and 32C for its mixing ability and super sound...Why is this..? is MB recording ability not up to speed.

Which DAWs do you guys use for recording and why is it better than MB 3 or 32C for recording or tracking

Regards

Alan
Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 16Gb memory, Intel i5 quad 4 (3,450Mhz), Audient ID22,
Reaper, 32C Ver5.1 (Rev 5'1), 32C Version 6
(08-17-2016, 12:01 PM)amsmarle Wrote: ...

However reading some comments about Recording, it seems most of the experienced people prefer to use other DAWS as opposed the MB 3 or MB 32C for their tracking or recording. Yet praise MB 3 and 32C for its mixing ability and super sound...Why is this..? is MB recording ability not up to speed.

Some of the "most of the experienced people" are stuck in old ways, but still others just want to make sure the recording gets done. If I could, I would still use Alesis adat HD24, but mine won't turn on any longer. Why did I like it? Because it worked. If I had two HD24's, I'd still use one while the other was getting fixed.

Why do I like Mixbus (and 32C) now? Because I can use the same instance on two or three computers. The cost? Another 10 year-old workstation. A lot cheaper than buying another Alesis adat HD24. (And Reaper only lets me use one instance.) And - so far lately - at least one Mixbus recording gets done. And it sounds good.

best, john
I do all my recording and mixing in mixbus now. It works very well, the small hickups I experience do not hinder me noticeably and I like the workflow. Prior to mixbus I used ProTools (and some times Logic), and I have much more confident that Harrison will address any issues with their product then I have that Avid and Apple will.

Mixbus works very well for me, and I suppose other DAW's works very well for others. If one is happy with his/her DAW there really is no reason to start recording (or mixing, if that is the case) on a different DAW.
For me it just can't handle my intensive projects that have multiple vi's, plugins, fx, automation, lots of midi plus tracking audio.

MB's forte is mixing. ATM I'm using it for mastering or mix projects using stems & audio only. I do plan on using it entirely for some other projects in the future.
i7 5820k· RAM 32GB DDR4· 1TB HD x3· 500 GB SSD x2· Video HD-5450 1GB· Win 10 x64· RME FF400· VEP5· MB32C·
(08-17-2016, 12:01 PM)amsmarle Wrote: Which DAWs do you guys use for recording and why is it better than MB 3 or 32C for recording or tracking

...not sure if I can claim to be an old hand...
I use Ardour for tracking because I do not need all the summing goodness or any channel strip features Mixbus has. Ardour has a smaller DSP footprint than Mixbus and comes tracking you want to have plenty of audio throughput capability to avoid buffer underruns.
Mic placement and very good audio chains are way more important than a superior monitor mix in the control room.
Using Ardour 4 means I can later use that very session directly in Mixbus for mixing Smile

MMM
(08-21-2016, 04:46 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 12:01 PM)amsmarle Wrote: Which DAWs do you guys use for recording and why is it better than MB 3 or 32C for recording or tracking

...not sure if I can claim to be an old hand...
I use Ardour for tracking because I do not need all the summing goodness or any channel strip features Mixbus has. Ardour has a smaller DSP footprint than Mixbus and comes tracking you want to have plenty of audio throughput capability to avoid buffer underruns.
Mic placement and very good audio chains are way more important than a superior monitor mix in the control room.
Using Ardour 4 means I can later use that very session directly in Mixbus for mixing Smile

MMM

Thanks MMM and to everyone else who responded.

So MMM... using Ardour 4 for your particular tracking is better than MB 3 or 32C.

MB3 & 32C track fine for me but I am interested to learn about alternatives

Thanks again

Alan

Will Ardour 4 run on Win 10 64bit..?
Like madmaxmiller I also use Ardour for recording when I don't need the mixing features during tracking. It basically just dumps a lot of data on a hard drive. Ardour is a decent tool for editing and mixing as well but like most people here I prefer Mixbus for that part of production. ;-)

(08-21-2016, 11:37 AM)amsmarle Wrote: Will Ardour 4 run on Win 10 64bit..?

The recently released Ardour 5 is the first version to officially support Windows. I haven't tested it but I see no reason why it shouldn't run in Windows 10 64-bit. You'll find the latest version here.
I track live shows with Reaper because it's so much lighter on the cpu. I mix the tracks in Mixbus.
(08-21-2016, 12:16 PM)mortenulysses Wrote: Like madmaxmiller I also use Ardour for recording when I don't need the mixing features during tracking. It basically just dumps a lot of data on a hard drive. Ardour is a decent tool for editing and mixing as well but like most people here I prefer Mixbus for that part of production. ;-)

(08-21-2016, 11:37 AM)amsmarle Wrote: Will Ardour 4 run on Win 10 64bit..?

The recently released Ardour 5 is the first version to officially support Windows. I haven't tested it but I see no reason why it shouldn't run in Windows 10 64-bit. You'll find the latest version here.

Thanks for the link, I have downloaded and installed it and subscribed. It seems to work a treat... I will report on further info when I have it

Best

Alan
The latest-released Ardour v5 might be too new for Mixbus; we are still using the v4 session format. Mixbus v4 will incorporate all the features of A5, and be able to open those sessions.

Another option is "Waves Tracks Live", which creates .ardour v4 sessions; Mixbus can open them natively.