Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux and Zoom R16+R24
Hello, I'm new to the forum but I'd like to share some recent success with the Zoom R16 and Zoom R24 recorders as an input device.

I've been using Mixbus for a few months now and I'm loving it. Normally I use a FocusRite for my interface but this week I successfully got the R24 to record under Linux which now gives me 8 simultaneous inputs should I need them and midi control of the faders/solo and transport.

I'm using Qiana Studio from Bitwig as my Linux install as it is a kind of hybrid of KXStudio and Ubuntu Studio for 64 bit and it's running on a fairly cheap laptop from ebuyer (sold with linux) which I fitted with an SSD. Has four cores and 8Gb of memory and has been very stable so far with Mixbus 3.4 and today with Mixbus 32C.

https://www.bitwig.com/en/home/news-arch...tudio.html

To get the Zoom R24 to work under Linux I updated to the brand new 4.4 Linux Kernel (low latency) which has only been around a few weeks but now has the Zoom support.

QJackCtl settings I can probably screen capture and post here if anyone is interested.

The Midi control surface works with a few tweaks of the Mackie protocol and again I'll show my settings if this is useful.

Spend a whole day recording and mixing with Mixbus 32C and to say I am delighted is an understatement. This really is a terrific piece of work from your developers.

I'll post some mixes soon too.

Plum
(08-03-2016, 12:44 PM)Plumocelot Wrote: To get the Zoom R24 to work under Linux I updated to the brand new 4.4 Linux Kernel (low latency) which has only been around a few weeks but now has the Zoom support.

QJackCtl settings I can probably screen capture and post here if anyone is interested.

The Midi control surface works with a few tweaks of the Mackie protocol and again I'll show my settings if this is useful.

Cool bananas! So the R16/24 are not class compliant?
Yes please post all knowledge you want to share, that's what the forum is for and you got the first reputation from me for posting something constructive as an early post (other than a complaint or request as do so many)

Cheers,
MMM
(08-03-2016, 12:44 PM)Plumocelot Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum but I'd like to share some recent success with the Zoom R16 and Zoom R24 recorders as an input device.

I've been using Mixbus for a few months now and I'm loving it. Normally I use a FocusRite for my interface but this week I successfully got the R24 to record under Linux which now gives me 8 simultaneous inputs should I need them and midi control of the faders/solo and transport.

I'm using Qiana Studio from Bitwig as my Linux install as it is a kind of hybrid of KXStudio and Ubuntu Studio for 64 bit and it's running on a fairly cheap laptop from ebuyer (sold with linux) which I fitted with an SSD. Has four cores and 8Gb of memory and has been very stable so far with Mixbus 3.4 and today with Mixbus 32C.

To get the Zoom R24 to work under Linux I updated to the brand new 4.4 Linux Kernel (low latency) which has only been around a few weeks but now has the Zoom support.

Spend a whole day recording and mixing with Mixbus 32C and to say I am delighted is an understatement. This really is a terrific piece of work from your developers.

Plum

Some QJackCTL settings

Plum

(08-04-2016, 08:19 AM)Plumocelot Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 12:44 PM)Plumocelot Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum but I'd like to share some recent success with the Zoom R16 and Zoom R24 recorders as an input device.

Plum

Some QJackCTL settings
Plum

Jack control surface connections

Plum
(08-04-2016, 08:19 AM)Plumocelot Wrote: I successfully got the R24 to record under Linux which now gives me 8 simultaneous inputs should I need them and midi control of the faders/solo and transport.

Plum

Hi Plum - registered just to tack onto this thread - I'd certainly be interested in your control surface tweaks. I just tried recently and was surprised to find my R24 working as well. Didn't realize it was so recently fixed.
(08-10-2016, 11:30 AM)Nates Wrote:
(08-04-2016, 08:19 AM)Plumocelot Wrote: I successfully got the R24 to record under Linux which now gives me 8 simultaneous inputs should I need them and midi control of the faders/solo and transport.

Plum

Hi Plum - registered just to tack onto this thread - I'd certainly be interested in your control surface tweaks. I just tried recently and was surprised to find my R24 working as well. Didn't realize it was so recently fixed.

Hello, My modifications were fairly minimal (see attached) - I mapped the F2 to F5 keys to my own preference so I can now move to the start and end of the session quickly and use A-B Repeat to loop a range (useful when recording on my own for an overdub as no more jumping up from the keyboard). F5 I mapped for Mark/Clear which is useful for labeling up sections where there are choruses or changes mainly as what I record has no fixed tempo or grid. F1 I guess you could also map but this is enough for my uses. Everything else works more or less out of the box with the standard Mackie setup.

I just got a feature accepted into Ardour for "Toggle Mark" that enables the Zoom's standalone behavior for F5 - if you're stopped on a Mark, it will erase it. If there's not a mark under the playhead it will create one.

I've also written (a C++ version - but I think this one probably belongs in lua scripting) for F1 Auto Punch In/Out support:

Press it once - if Punch In is not set, it creates a Punch In range from the playhead to the end of the session and sets Punch In. Press it again - if playhead is after the punch in mark, it will set the punch out mark and enable Punch Out. If you rewound past the Punch In mark, it moves that mark to the new playhead position.
Press it a third time, and it clears punch In/Out and removes the range.

It would be similar to support the standalone Zoom behavior for F2 - but I'm not sure if that's better than just calling "Play Loop Range" as you've done.

I also went through the list of channel strip midi controls on the MCP, to see if maybe the Red LED was hiding under a different command - but it appears that only the Green "Solo" is supported. I'd hoped to implement a tri-state strip button to work like the Zoom, but it doesn't appear possible unless Zoom were to expose that.