Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Linux Distro?
I was using MixBus on AVLinux for a while, and I liked it. Sound was consistent, rock solid platform, and MixBus is great. Earlier this year I fell in love with another DAW (unfortunately on Windows) and I haven't used MixBus much since then.

However, I'd like to give it another go and install MixBus on my laptop. What distribution are people using these days? Should I use UbuntuStudio? They were having issues a year or two ago, but maybe they are solved now?
AVLinux is still a great choice.

But why don't you just install Mixbus on your Windows box?
P.S. Nice to see you back Smile
For me, the whole point is to escape the windows paradigm. If I'm in Windows, then I'll just use the other DAW honestly, since it is more capable than Mixbus 2 (MIDI, better included plugins, etc).

Mixbus running on Linux could well be good enough that I can leave Windows behind. That's my goal, hoping to achieve it at some point.

Looks like AVLinux is 32 bit only. I generally use 64bit distros these days. Hmm.... that's another new thing, wondering how Mixbus plays on 64bit Linux. Also, last time I used AVLinux (can't remember which version it was) it was using a pretty old window manager. I'd prefer something more modern using KDE or GNOME.
So maybe you should try KXStudio.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/
Whoa, thanks for that. The Calf plugins look great, they've progressed a lot since the last I saw them. Do the calf plugs play well with Mixbus?

Wow, I haven't run Debian in probably a decade. But Debian with KX studio looks intriguing....
(10-02-2013, 07:46 PM)JWL Wrote: Whoa, thanks for that. The Calf plugins look great, they've progressed a lot since the last I saw them. Do the calf plugs play well with Mixbus?

Wow, I haven't run Debian in probably a decade. But Debian with KX studio looks intriguing....

CALF plugins work perfectly well and smooth for me in Mixbus with pure Debian, so you should have no issues at all...

Cheers!
Joe Giampaoli
===============
Never tie a ship to a single anchor
nor life to a single hope...
AVLinux 6.01 is a step-up from 6.0. More than the numbering scheme might suggest.

And if your reason for going to 64 bits is to be able to use more than 4G of RAM, perhaps this link might let you use AVLinux and still access lots of RAM.

best,

john
+1 for Kxstudio. The amazing set of OWN tools and plugins
Like Ben said: AVLinux (6.01) is still cool and the number of Demos gives you an idea where to go when you have tried all the free software (lol) - that way i learned about Mixbus first Idea
I also use Ubuntustudio, after fiddling to remove that superfluous PulseAudio it behaves pretty well, too. Like I wrote in another thread: My exotic screen configuration worked out of the box with Ustudio.
If you go for AVLinux - it's easy to install a PAE kernel, so there's no 4GB barrier.

Cheers,
MMM