Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C - How to unzip a '64bit.run' ?
AVLinux 2016 (x64) gives me two choices: "Mousepad" and "LibreOffice Writer,(???)" and when I use the right-click to unzip under "Mousepad" I get:
"The document was not UTF-8 valid"

The default is highlighted (center) 'System (UTF-8)' but the left (UTF-8) and right choices don't seem to work either. Any suggestions?

best, john
(05-19-2016, 03:07 AM)jabney Wrote: AVLinux 2016 (x64) gives me two choices: "Mousepad" and "LibreOffice Writer,(???)" and when I use the right-click to unzip under "Mousepad" I get:

The default is highlighted (center) 'System (UTF-8)' but the left (UTF-8) and right choices don't seem to work either. Any suggestions?

best, john

Hi John

it is a runable script. probably not on executable mode.
First you must check you have the right version : AVlinux has a newer library GCC5 : check if you have that version.

If you have : the easyist way is run it via a shell
download the .run : and remember where you put it
open a terminal
get superuser permissions : sudo su
type in your password for super user
move you self to the directory where you put the file
cd file location
check the permlsissions of the file : ls -l
you see some rw-rw-rw : or rwxrw-rw in front of the filename
If not make the file executable
this way : chmod 755 Mi*run
than run the file : ./Mi press tab , return

adacadabra ?

complain here Wink

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Or just open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and drag and drop the .run file into the terminal and press enter.
Smile
(05-19-2016, 04:44 AM)Frank Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 03:07 AM)jabney Wrote: AVLinux 2016 (x64) gives me two choices: "Mousepad" and "LibreOffice Writer,(???)" and when I use the right-click to unzip under "Mousepad" I get:

best, john

Hi John

First you must check you have the right version : AVlinux has a newer library GCC5 : check if you have that version.
The installer will actually check that and print a warning if there's a mismatch

(05-19-2016, 04:44 AM)Frank Wrote: [..]

You do not need superuser permissions (the installer asks itself if needed).
Also Mixbus files are intentionally wrapped in a .tar so that the executable permissions are kept.

On the vast majority of distros one can just double-click on the .run and it'll run + install. On some desktop environments, right-click, select "Run" or "Open". If either fails, Qualitymix' suggestion will work.

Given that NVidia drivers, VirtualBox, Google Earth, a lot of games and other Linux software comes as .run, most GNU/Linux Desktop Environment provide a convenient way to launch those (after confirmation) these days. I'll ask Glenn to fix this for AVLinux.

PS .If you actually wanted to know how to literally "unzip" it (without installing), run it with the --help option. The installer will tell you about --extract and --no-exec options.
(05-19-2016, 09:52 AM)x42 Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 04:44 AM)Frank Wrote:

best, john

Hi John

The installer will actually check that and print a warning if there's a mismatch

(05-19-2016, 04:44 AM)Frank Wrote: [..]

You do not need superuser permissions (the installer asks itself if needed).
Also Mixbus files are intentionally wrapped in a .tar so that the executable permissions are kept.

On the vast majority of distros one can just double-click on the .run and it'll run + install. On some desktop environments, right-click, select "Run" or "Open". If either fails, Qualitymix' suggestion will work.

Given that NVidia drivers, VirtualBox, Google Earth, a lot of games and other Linux software comes as .run, most GNU/Linux Desktop Environment provide a convenient way to launch those (after confirmation) these days. I'll ask Glenn to fix this for AVLinux.

PS .If you actually wanted to know how to literally "unzip" it (without installing), run it with the --help option. The installer will tell you about --extract and --no-exec options.

Well, we are spoiled nowadays, with scripts which do a lot. I come from the time, where, if one gets a shell script, one investigates with vi what it will do.
-------
I know my method was superfluous, but it worked with me.

Wondering why both John and did not have a tar file, containing a run file with the right permissions, i checked the procedure i followed to get it.

The letter one receives after purchase, Your Mixbus 32C DAW Delivery Information, contains the following instruction:

Linux Users:
For Linux 64bit click here (Linux 64bit)
To install on Linux: first right-click on the zipfile and choose "Extract Here" to extract the Mixbus installer. Then double-click the installer, or use Terminal to navigate to the installer and run it.

When you click on here a download start from Fastspring: a .run file with rw-rw-r permissions. Not a zip (as mentioned) or a tar file.

I guess this needs some fine tuning, and without a chmod i do not think it will run in a terminal/shell

regards !
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Hi,

After an IRC discussion with x42 the cause and solution have been determined...

AV Linux 2016 uses Thunar as a file manager, at some point in the past the ability to execute miscellaneous scripts was disabled in Thunar most likely as a security feature. Other File Managers like Nautilus still have this ability and it is possible to switch it back on in Thunar.

To fix this and have a '.run' file run in a terminal when you double-click copy and paste the following into a regular (not Root) terminal:

Code:
xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true
(05-19-2016, 11:23 PM)GMaq Wrote: Hi,

After an IRC discussion with x42 the cause and solution have been determined...

AV Linux 2016 uses Thunar as a file manager, at some point in the past the ability to execute miscellaneous scripts was disabled in Thunar most likely as a security feature. Other File Managers like Nautilus still have this ability and it is possible to switch it back on in Thunar.

To fix this and have a '.run' file run in a terminal when you double-click copy and paste the following into a regular (not Root) terminal:

Code:
xfconf-query --channel thunar --property /misc-exec-shell-scripts-by-default --create --type bool --set true

Thanks for the effort guys !! I do appreciate

On Thunar

In the properties => permissions tab in Thunar , the is a possibility to allow the running of a program :

Program: [] Allow running as a program

with below a security risk guide

The code line makes this tick permanent ?

As a proof i tried to run the MB run shell script: Thunar flags it as a shell script: but does not run it but tries to determine the utf font type.
Thunar does not change the program type ( to a shell) one has to do that by hand...

I will try the setting later and include my experience

executed the code : it comes back with a nonassuring error message :

Failed to init libxfconf: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken..

End result : I could run the MB install run file !!! Feels good !!

Regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(05-19-2016, 02:38 PM)Frank Wrote: Wondering why both John and did not have a tar file, containing a run file with the right permissions, i checked the procedure i followed to get it.

The letter one receives after purchase, Your Mixbus 32C DAW Delivery Information, contains the following instruction:

Linux Users:
To install on Linux: first right-click on the zipfile and choose "Extract Here" to extract the Mixbus installer. Then double-click the installer, or use Terminal to navigate to the installer and run it.

When you click on here a download start from Fastspring: a .run file with rw-rw-r permissions. Not a zip (as mentioned) or a tar file.

I guess this needs some fine tuning, and without a chmod i do not think it will run in a terminal/shell

regards !

I think this is a leftover from older versions of MB.
The 2.5 installer for Mixbus is a .tar.gz archive
but both 3 and 32C-3 are .run scripts.

so I'm guessing they changed from the tarball to the script when releasing MB 3 but forgot to edit the delivery email.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
(05-20-2016, 10:40 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 02:38 PM)Frank Wrote: Wondering why both John and did not have a tar file, containing a run file with the right permissions, i checked the procedure i followed to get it.

Linux Users:

regards !

I think this is a leftover from older versions of MB.
The 2.5 installer for Mixbus is a .tar.gz archive
but both 3 and 32C-3 are .run scripts.

so I'm guessing they changed from the tarball to the script when releasing MB 3 but forgot to edit the delivery email.

Nahh as X42.5 said :

something goes wrong in the delivery process: maybe a stamp collector steals the envelope...

But it should be an compressed tarball

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

(05-20-2016, 11:09 AM)Frank Wrote: Nahh as X42.5 said :

something goes wrong in the delivery process: maybe a stamp collector steals the envelope...

But it should be an compressed tarball

regards

Guess I looked over his reply.

I know Mac by default extracts .zip files after downloading them (had to disable this a few times before) but to my knowledge Linux doesn't do that.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]