Poll: What service(s) do you use to share sessions when collaborating?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Gobbler
0%
0 0%
DropBox
27.27%
6 27.27%
Google Drive
22.73%
5 22.73%
iCloud
0%
0 0%
BitTorrent Sync
0%
0 0%
WeTransfer
22.73%
5 22.73%
OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive)
0%
0 0%
4.55%
1 4.55%
Other
9.09%
2 9.09%
My Own Server
13.64%
3 13.64%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What cloud service(s) do you use to collaborate?
The internet has now made it easier than ever before for audio engineers to collaborate on sessions. A song is no longer locked to a specific studio / machine / hard drive - users from all over the world can work together on music.

When collaborating with other artists / engineers, what service(s) do you prefer to use for sharing your sessions? Please answer our poll at the top of the page.

If you would like to add more information, please post about your experiences in this thread.
I will start this one off...

While working as a mastering engineer, I would typically receive mixes via WeTransfer. This worked well for me as I only needed the stereo wave file. There has been a time or two where someone sent me the entire session as a zip file via WeTransfer as well.
Hey there, I always use wetransfer or maybe mediafire for file's sharing. I find wetransfer to be reliable, intuitive and professional.

I would like to share with you a sharing workflow I developed for my studio that I think is awesome.

When I finish a mix or a master I upload it to my studio's Soundcloud in private mode, so only the client can see the link and stream the audio. Then he may comment on the exact point where he wants something changed.
If you like, you can disable the download of the file until he has made the payment, so he can review it in a mp3 like quality.

The cool thing about SC is that when you enable the download of the file, the file that is made available is the original 24/16 bit .wav file you had uploaded. So you have to upload the file only once for the client to preview and comment, and finally delivering if you like.

Hope someone find it useful!
See you!

Ignacio
(03-10-2014, 01:59 PM)ignaceland Wrote: Hey there, I always use wetransfer or maybe mediafire for file's sharing. I find wetransfer to be reliable, intuitive and professional.

I would like to share with you a sharing workflow I developed for my studio that I think is awesome.

When I finish a mix or a master I upload it to my studio's Soundcloud in private mode, so only the client can see the link and stream the audio. Then he may comment on the exact point where he wants something changed.
If you like, you can disable the download of the file until he has made the payment, so he can review it in a mp3 like quality.

The cool thing about SC is that when you enable the download of the file, the file that is made available is the original 24/16 bit .wav file you had uploaded. So you have to upload the file only once for the client to preview and comment, and finally delivering if you like.

Hope someone find it useful!
See you!

Ignacio

Thanks for sharing Ignacio!

So SoundCloud can be used as both a preview and delivery service? That sounds convenient for both the artist and the engineer.
(03-11-2014, 10:19 AM)Tim@Harrison Wrote: So SoundCloud can be used as both a preview and delivery service? That sounds convenient for both the artist and the engineer.

I've been using it for a while and find it useful and fun to work.
However when I'm doing a final delivery I prefer to use an e-mail with details of the project and links to wetransfer.
I found Dropbox very useful for this purpose. During last months I've been collaborating with some friends of mine to start a new studio project, we all use Dropbox with a shared folder, great results. In the meantime I'm also trying Google Drive for the same purpose, I'm trying to understand which one is the best. Thought about OneDrive, I already have an account but I still have to give it a try.
Quote:“A mix is never finished, you just have to abandon it!”
George Massenburg

Santo Clemenzi
www.santoclemenzi.com
Hi Ben!
on my side! I use "MediaFire"
There is a big 16Gb free !

This is enough for big projects!
You can use it to share the folder project if you need it.
and there an apps compatible with iOS and of course an osX application too.

Great for me!
Great for you too!

Thx!

Ray!

https://www.mediafire.com
Cool
Hi Ben,

We've been using Google Drive for the last couple of projects.... seems to work fine for our purposes.

Regards,

Dmitri
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

While I've never used it to share files I am a Gobbler user. I know it can be used to share sessions. I really like the sound could workflow mentioned above. Will try and remember that.
Gobbler don't have a Linux client. They say that it can run under the Wine emulator, but I don't care.

I used DropBox, but they reduced the HD space, and everything goes very slowly. So from a strategic point and technical point of wiew: I don't consider them to be reliable.

SoundCloud's sound quality is really bad, I believe everything is converted to 128 bit MP3, so that doesn't work very well as a preview server.

So right now, I',m running OwnCloud on a server I have full access to.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox