Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No new sessions while using JACK
Hi there,
just ran into a very "intersting" issue since the latest 3.3.67 interim: When I use JACK with my Ubuntu 16 its not possible to create a session anywhere on my system. With ALSA there are no issues at all.
With ALSA I get random Audio Backend Errors and Shutdowns.

Anyone knows about this behaviour?
3.3.67 + kxstudio 14.04 (Ubuntu) has no problems creating new sessions. Can you be more specific about the error - what specifically prevents you from opening new sessions?
(05-17-2016, 11:20 AM)varpa Wrote: what specifically prevents you from opening new sessions?

A dialog after inserting the name for the new session. It happens on sda and sdb everywhere.

(05-18-2016, 01:28 AM)sonnie Wrote:
(05-17-2016, 11:20 AM)varpa Wrote: what specifically prevents you from opening new sessions?

A dialog after inserting the name for the new session. It happens on sda and sdb everywhere.

Hi Sonnie
Looks like you are new to Linux
There are no drives in linux

Try you permissions : can you create a map in the location you want to create a session ?
Logically as you should be able to do on your desktop : although is that a proper place for your sessions?

How do you start Mixbus? from the installed icon, or from a shell ?

and did you start Jack properly ? How do you do that ?

s we have a clear view..

regards

Frank
Just tell how you do everything,
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
Got the same error with Mixbus on Slackware Linux and Jack. I think it has to do with the realtime priority setting of Jack and Mixbus and the user rights for using realtime threads. When I disable the realtime flag in the Jack settings Mixbus can create and open sessions. When the realtime setting is on Mixbus cannot create a new session or open an existing one. The same Jack settings works with other Audio programs, it's just Mixbus or Ardour.
You don't run mixbus or jack as sudo?
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
(05-18-2016, 06:31 AM)Frank Wrote: Hi Sonnie

Eh, not really. What do you call your hard DRIVES then? Volumes? Just another term for exact the same thing.

(05-18-2016, 06:31 AM)Frank Wrote: Logically as you should be able to do on your desktop : although is that a proper place for your sessions?

/home, Desktop, /media/user/XYZ - don't work
MB - shell and docker icon tried
jack - qjackctl

(05-18-2016, 08:16 AM)rutsch Wrote: Got the same error with Mixbus on Slackware Linux and Jack. I think it has to do with the realtime priority setting of Jack and Mixbus and the user rights for using realtime threads. When I disable the realtime flag in the Jack settings Mixbus can create and open sessions. When the realtime setting is on Mixbus cannot create a new session or open an existing one. The same Jack settings works with other Audio programs, it's just Mixbus or Ardour.

Interesting. And not meaningful at all. But I think, I used the realtime flag. I'll check it. Ty. Smile

(05-19-2016, 02:16 PM)sonik Wrote: You don't run mixbus or jack as sudo?

Nope. Never thought of it because they should not have any sudo rights. Do they?
Let me explain it a little more. On Debian and Ubuntu there is PAM to give a user or a group rights for realtime audio threads ( http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html ). On Slackware there is no PAM but you can archive the same thing using so called Linux capabilities ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Capabilities ). When I use capabilities Mixbus will start with the realtime flag enabled in Jack but cannot create any project file or open an existing file and I got the same error message like you. Without any capablilties settings Mixbus cannot create any realtime threads and does not start at all. The same capabilities settings work with other hosts like Renoise and realtime threads can be created. Running Mixbus as root does indeed work but I think that this is not the way to go.

@sonnie
Maybe this is not the solution for your problem but this is the first time I saw someone else with this error. So this can be a hint for the Mixbus/Ardour developers.
Check the page at jackaudio.com ( http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/linux_rt_config.html ), maybe this leads to a solution for your problem on Ubuntu.
No, you never should run MB or jack as sudo, but sometimes people do. It's for that, i asked.
Did you check that your user is in the audio-group? (In a terminal: "groups")
What is in your /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf? In my archlinux with stock jack2 i have:
Quote:@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock unlimited
I didn't do any tweaking
;
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
(05-19-2016, 11:35 PM)sonnie Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 06:31 AM)Frank Wrote: Hi Sonnie

(05-19-2016, 11:35 PM)sonnie Wrote: Eh, not really. What do you call your hard DRIVES then? Volumes? Just another term for exact the same thing.

In Linux you do not write to a drive: you write to a filing system. Irrelevant of the actual drives: you system does not even need to have drives.

But you seem to persist: and it fails. It should trigger an idea with you that your perception of the system is wrong.

(05-19-2016, 11:35 PM)sonnie Wrote:
(05-18-2016, 06:31 AM)Frank Wrote: Logically as you should be able to do on your desktop : although is that a proper place for your sessions?

(05-19-2016, 11:35 PM)sonnie Wrote: /home, Desktop, /media/user/XYZ - don't work
/home is a location where you cannot write, create folders: Linux is not a system like Windows where you can dump your stuff just anywhere
Desktop by itself is not apart of a filing system
/media/¨username¨/ is a place where temporary devices are automatically places : like CDroms, DVD, sticks. when you insert them: bij itself not a handy place to deposite files: and intrinsically you cannot.
(05-19-2016, 11:35 PM)sonnie Wrote: MB - shell and docker icon tried
jack - qjackctl
what exactly did you do : MB docker icon: and than choose a location you cannot write too ?
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1