Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'in Your Eyes"
This was my first effort with Mixbus. I met a guitar player at an open mic. I want to collaborate with him, so I added drums, acoustic bass and piano to his guitar and vocals video demo:

vimeo.com/166208527

Added tracks start at the second verse.
Nice One! The parts you did enhance the vibes of the original Solo Recording really in a positive way, it's a fine arrangement now.
Thanks Lars. With finger style guitar, the thumb is already playing a bass line, so the overdubbed bass needs to hit the same notes. The bass part is of course more complex than what the thumb played, but those notes have to be the accents of the new part. Once it goes into the strummed parts you can l t loose a little. I used a hohner acoustic guitar style bass with black nylon coated flat wound strings that I just love with acoustic guitar.

The kick drum has to also match the thumb bass notes, so I early much of the arrangement's feel is already dictated by the guitar part. I used Superior Drummer with the "Roots" brushes kit and played the kick and snare by hand. I step entered the rest of the kit because I couldn't figure out how to do the MIDI overdubs on the same part. Now I do: You just use several MIDI tracks as a source for the drum MIDI track. When you're done, you can bounce them all to the MIDI drum track.

A big thing was doing the tempo map. At first I tried doing this in Melodyne Studio and importing the MIDI tempo map, but Mixbus/Ardour strips tempo info from MIDI files on import, so that didn't work. Fortunately the tempo justification tools in Mixbus/Ardour are really good. It took about a half hour to do the tempo map.

The piano is the physically modeled and incredible Pianoteq. I have a number of top sampled pianos but I pretty much go for Pianoteq every time. It follows piano technique perfectly and let's you do those really subtle light parts. I actually prefer it to the real thing.
Nice.
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

β€œIt did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
Love this!! why not add a guitar more, a picking guitar :-)
Mac Pro i7 3,4Ghz (Hackintosh)| OS X 10.12.6 | 16GB | 500GB SSD/2TB SATA | Interface: Audinst HUD-MX2 DAC | Mixbus 32c & Mixbus 4| Russell Cottier Mixbus Controller | OLLOaudio Play2Me Headphone System |
Wow, this is great! Thanks for sharing!
(05-11-2016, 10:43 AM)lkingston Wrote: This was my first effort with Mixbus. I met a guitar player at an open mic. I want to collaborate with him, so I added drums, acoustic bass and piano to his guitar and vocals video demo:

vimeo.com/166208527

Added tracks start at the second verse.

Really nice. Really appropriate voice.