Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Templates and Screen settings
Now that I've got my 18i8 working I'm playing around with the Templates in MB32C and I've noticed something weird.

I'm using a 2-monitor setup with the Editor on the Main display and the Mixer on the 2nd. Both are set at full screen with the "maximise space" option.

When I don't use a template starting a new session restores my previous settings, but when I use a template I only get the Editor window on screen 1 and it's not in full-screen (so I need to maximise the window and set the "maximise space" option again.

Also, I had mix busses 11 and 12 set to be displayed (mix busses 1,2,3,4 and 11 and 12) but only 1,2,3 and 4 were shown.

Am I missing something ? or is this a bug ?
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
Nobody else experiencing this behaviour ?
(05-19-2016, 12:08 PM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Nobody else experiencing this behaviour ?

Hi Patrick

i was planning to check, but had hardisk failures : reinstallling Sad

By the way i never use the full screen settings: this way you can add more channels than your screen width

Iĺl try later

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(05-19-2016, 03:04 PM)Frank Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 12:08 PM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Nobody else experiencing this behaviour ?

Hi Patrick

By the way i never use the full screen settings: this way you can add more channels than your screen width

Iĺl try later

regards

I'm sorry to hear that you having problems.
I don't know what distro you are using, but in my experience installing Debian (from the net-installer) is a LOT faster compared to install Windows (and the endless updates).

Are you talking about full screen as using the "maximise editor window" option or the "maximize" the window ?

I never thought of your method, but since I'm only running Mixbus in Openbox (dual-screen setup with 1 monitor @ 1920x1080 and an older one @ 1680x1050 or something like that) I have no need to see other windows/programs or the window title. This gives me the most real-estate

I guess with your method it's possible to make the mixer and editor windows span across the entire 2 displays (I will loose some space due to the difference in resolution) and use the control+M (I think) to switch between the Mixer and Editor.

Anyway, I just want all my programs to be maximised or full-screen.
Maybe I'm just weird or something Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 03:04 PM)Frank Wrote: Hi Patrick

(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that you having problems.

Just some bad luck : i had some serious performance problems with my macbook: which i used for Mixbus live : eventually i could run only two channels with a stereo plugin, an Instrument from Native instruments in Reaktor. I decided to make a performance comparison with Mixbus on Linux and i was shocked..
I used an old machine which i pallend to do some Solaris / ZFS tests on.

So now i am changing my setup : a Fixed linuxbox dual screen for Mixbus mixdowns, a Linux laptop for mixbus recordings and mixes, and a Macbook for Native Instruments , instruments to play. They have no linux versions Sad
Despite the founder of Native Instruments is making a new hardware synth based on Linux, just the code generator, Reaktor, runs on a separate windows device.
(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: I don't know what distro you are using, but in my experience installing Debian (from the net-installer) is a LOT faster compared to install Windows (and the endless updates).
Smile : you do not tell me anything new. I have been responsible for producing productions masters, windows for quite some time. I think i have installed more windows machines than anybody will do in his whole life. Never saw such a bizarre bad product being sold so good. Monopoly ...

(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Are you talking about full screen as using the "maximise editor window" option or the "maximize" the window ?

Let me explain: I have two monitors on each machine : 1920x1200
On each monitor i have 8 desktops
So i have one desktop spanning two monitors, for the mixer, one for the editor.So that desktop has 3840 x1200 pixels.
If you maximize the window(s) you are limited to the screen size: and also you cannot switch desktops easily .
So in 32C if i need 38 stereo channels with 12 Mixbusses : i can I just shift the window left and right . To alter the view.
On a separate desktop i have the meter bridge and the connection windows...

[/quote]

(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: I never thought of your method, but since I'm only running Mixbus in Openbox (dual-screen setup with 1 monitor @ 1920x1080 and an older one @ 1680x1050 or something like that) I have no need to see other windows/programs or the window title. This gives me the most real-estate

Cute Openbox
right now I am evaluating AVLlinux and Ubuntu Studio with KXstudio extensions.
AVL is just new and 16.04 Ubuntu is new too. I am tired building from scratch. Too many notes to make.
In the old times we used to build all from source code. take a long weekend from friday to monday morning.. Black Russian to keep us happy and ...
(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: I guess with your method it's possible to make the mixer and editor windows span across the entire 2 displays (I will loose some space due to the difference in resolution) and use the control+M (I think) to switch between the Mixer and Editor.
:

I do not control m switch desktops ,
(05-20-2016, 06:50 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: Anyway, I just want all my programs to be maximised or full-screen.
Maybe I'm just weird or something Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I just want 8 desktops over two screens ...

when thay have come down in price, and and i can get a proper video card : two 4 K screens.

Under X window, and a heavy headless server in a separate room... Wink

regards
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(05-20-2016, 10:06 AM)Frank Wrote: Smile : you do not tell me anything new. I have been responsible for producing productions masters, windows for quite some time. I think i have installed more windows machines than anybody will do in his whole life. Never saw such a bizarre bad product being sold so good. Monopoly ...

LOL, I know that feeling, I tinker just too much with my systems and always end-up having to do a full format and re-install.
I didn't count the times I did it but only the activation by phone is a hell and that's followed by a day or more of upgrades, to end up with some BSOD and another re-install.

I'm also in the habbit of re-installing my Linux boxes quite often but since the recent problems with my Scarlett 18i8 I will safe that for my laptop and keep my desktop untouched.

(05-20-2016, 10:06 AM)Frank Wrote: Let me explain: I have two monitors on each machine : 1920x1200
On each monitor i have 8 desktops
So i have one desktop spanning two monitors, for the mixer, one for the editor.So that desktop has 3840 x1200 pixels.
If you maximize the window(s) you are limited to the screen size: and also you cannot switch desktops easily .
So in 32C if i need 38 stereo channels with 12 Mixbusses : i can I just shift the window left and right . To alter the view.
On a separate desktop i have the meter bridge and the connection windows...

Ah the multiple desktops, I once heard that Micro$soft was going to take a patent on it (while it was being used on $nix for years and years).

What I'm looking for is more the "console" setup I guess,
Boot the system (autologin with lightdm) and start Mixbus (I actually start QJackCTL minimized and once Jack is loaded the script for Mixbus is called)

Trying to give me the least number of distractions (so no email client or anything like that (just the Opera browser for the HTML5 mixer for the 18i8

(05-20-2016, 10:06 AM)Frank Wrote: Cute Openbox
right now I am evaluating AVLlinux and Ubuntu Studio with KXstudio extensions.
AVL is just new and 16.04 Ubuntu is new too. I am tired building from scratch. Too many notes to make.
In the old times we used to build all from source code. take a long weekend from friday to monday morning.. Black Russian to keep us happy and ...

I'm a huge Debian fan, don't know why. I've tried a lot of other distro''s (starting with debian 2.x IIRC) but keep coming back to Debian.

I actually like the new Gnome, but for my studio system I decided to take the minimalistic route (not even a wallpaper unless you use nitrogen in the autorun script).

LFS was never someting for me Big Grin

(05-20-2016, 10:06 AM)Frank Wrote: I do not control m switch desktops ,
Sorry, I was at the wrong system Big Grin
It's ALT + M to switch mixer/editor view

(05-20-2016, 10:06 AM)Frank Wrote: I just want 8 desktops over two screens ...

when thay have come down in price, and and i can get a proper video card : two 4 K screens.

Under X window, and a heavy headless server in a separate room... Wink

regards
at the moment I don't have those needs Big Grin but 2 4 K (or 5 K) screens sounds great !

You could go for those new OLED 4 K screens but those are much too expensive for a simple home user Big Grin