Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] No audio output with Focusrite Scarlett
(05-08-2016, 04:36 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: This is the output of adevices.sh (when Mixbus 32C is running (else card 1 is also "closed" but I guess thats normal).

yes, that's normal.

The output looks fine.

A buffersize of 64 with USB devices can be problematic and also Mixbus will use a lot of CPU.
It can work but it greatly depends on the hardware and system-tweaking if works reliably.

I'm curious what is the idle DSP load (indicator top-right in the Mixbus editor widow) with an empty session: just mixbusses + master?

(05-08-2016, 04:36 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: That AlsaJsonMixer looks promising, I'll give it a look.

I did found some basic settings in alsamixer for the Scarlett but changing those settings did work.

I understand that you get sound, now, right?

All the mixer-controls should be there (supported by the driver in the kernel) 164 in total. `amixer --card 1 controls` list them.

When looking at those controls, it will help to visualize the signal-flow through this device:

"Matrix [01-18] Input" controls are for "Mixer Router" in that diagram. Each of the 18 inputs to the mixer-matrix can be assigned a source.
Possible values for each channel are the 6 DAW outputs (PCM1,6), any of the analog inputs (Analog 1..8) or the 10 Digital inputs (SPDIF, ADAT).

The matrix mixer's 18x6 grid is represented by the "Matrix [1-18] Mix [A-F] Playback Volume" gain controls where A,B,..,F are the 6 outputs and the inputs are the ones selected above.

The 6 "Master .. Source" control select which channels go into the Router.
Possible values are the same as above with addition of the matrix-mixer "Mix A,..F" outs.

Last but not least there are 6 master gain controls (5,6 is headphone) and a few switches for clock-source and impedance.

It's definitely easier to use a GUI for a DAW setup, then again this devices allow for fancy zero-latency mixing, some combinations of which are not even exposed by Scarlett Mixcontrol ™.

PS. I'm not sure if the the 18 "Input Source" capture assignments currently do anything, They are for the built-in meters which the alsa-team decided to not expose via the mixer-interface.
Finally got it working ! (Now I need to see if it survives a reboot Big Grin).

Installing the Gateway was a breeze, the Mixer was a bit harder.
Both had some dependency issues that I needed to sort out, and I had to restart the gateway to be able to get the Mixer to show/work in Iceweasel.

I've added some screenshots.

[Image: ajm-Alsa-Mixer%20-%20Iceweasel_001.png]

[Image: ajm-Alsa-Mixer%20-%20Iceweasel_002.png]

I think the things I needed to change were.

- increase volume "Playback Master Volume) since they were at zero
- Set "Master Playback Route" to All at PCM1 for Left and PCM2 for right (since Mixbus only exported to those 2 ports).
- Toggle the " Playback Switch to mute/un-mute some of the outputs).

I hope this helps other people since I've spent a few days searching for the correct answer.

Kudos to x42 for pointing me in the right direction, and also thanks to the other members who contributed to this thread.

Patrick

(05-08-2016, 06:00 AM)x42 Wrote:
(05-08-2016, 04:36 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: This is the output of adevices.sh (when Mixbus 32C is running (else card 1 is also "closed" but I guess thats normal).

yes, that's normal.

The output looks fine.

A buffersize of 64 with USB devices can be problematic and also Mixbus will use a lot of CPU.
It can work but it greatly depends on the hardware and system-tweaking if works reliably.

I'm curious what is the idle DSP load (indicator top-right in the Mixbus editor widow) with an empty session: just mixbusses + master?

(05-08-2016, 04:36 AM)Patrick Kox Wrote: That AlsaJsonMixer looks promising, I'll give it a look.

I did found some basic settings in alsamixer for the Scarlett but changing those settings did work.

I understand that you get sound, now, right?

All the mixer-controls should be there (supported by the driver in the kernel) 164 in total. `amixer --card 1 controls` list them.

When looking at those controls, it will help to visualize the signal-flow through this device:

"Matrix [01-18] Input" controls are for "Mixer Router" in that diagram. Each of the 18 inputs to the mixer-matrix can be assigned a source.
Possible values for each channel are the 6 DAW outputs (PCM1,6), any of the analog inputs (Analog 1..8) or the 10 Digital inputs (SPDIF, ADAT).

The matrix mixer's 18x6 grid is represented by the "Matrix [1-18] Mix [A-F] Playback Volume" gain controls where A,B,..,F are the 6 outputs and the inputs are the ones selected above.

The 6 "Master .. Source" control select which channels go into the Router.
Possible values are the same as above with addition of the matrix-mixer "Mix A,..F" outs.

Last but not least there are 6 master gain controls (5,6 is headphone) and a few switches for clock-source and impedance.

It's definitely easier to use a GUI for a DAW setup, then again this devices allow for fancy zero-latency mixing, some combinations of which are not even exposed by Scarlett Mixcontrol ™.

PS. I'm not sure if the the 18 "Input Source" capture assignments currently do anything, They are for the built-in meters which the alsa-team decided to not expose via the mixer-interface.

x42 I see we were both replying at the same time. But to answer your questions/remarques

1. Buffer size 64 :
I've set mixbus to halt on xrun and it didn't stop yet so I guess it works. But as I said I try to run nothing else on this system (plain Debian 8.4 with Openbox so no Gnome, KDE, ... running).

2. idle DSP load is around 25%

3. I didn't have sound when I replied (before I installed the Gateway and Mixer) but I guess that's because The "Playback" settings were output 1 -> Analog 1 ,output 2 -> Analog 2 and so on, While with the HTML5 mixer I had to set them to PCM1 for Left and PCM2 for Right.

4. Thanks for all the information.
I'll keep it stored somewhere incase I need it again in the future.
MIX3US 32C | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 | Debian GNU/Linux with OpenBox
[Image: 4280.png]
Cool.

I just saw 18i8 (not 18i6) but the routing is pretty much the same (only 8 instead of 6 PCM + MIx channels for the internal router). I don't know how the web-interface GUI translates the 0..128 gain to the soundcard's settings, but all the way to the top is probably +6dB in which case ~100 corresponds to "0dB". (you can check with `alsamixer` which does show dB Levels).
Thanks for the mixer. I had to finish the configuration by unmuting Master (and also Master 2 for Headphones in my case) by hand in alsamixer. Is the mute switch exposed in the UI? Could not find it. Thanks!