Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound card & Linux
Hello dear Mixbus users,

I enjoy using Mixbus for monthes now, and I need to upgrade my nearly useless Firewire soundcard for my "on the go" setup. At the moment, I use a good old Echo Audiofirewire. And I would like to replace it by something equivalent.

I don't know what to buy, to go with the quality of the software... Would you have some recommanded sound card, for Linux ? I think that now, USB sound card would be the right choice ?

Best,

Antoine
The best would be to explain your needs (how many ins and outs) and your budget.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
Sonik,

The Echo Audiofire 2 has 2 symmetric in, 2 symmetric out, one headphone mini jack, and options for digital i/o and midi that I don't use. I need a new card to replace it, for firewire is not available anymore on laptops. So I was thinking about buying a usb sound card. I don't need the sound card to have mic-preamp, but if they are good, I am ok with that.

So, in resume:
- 2 symmetric in
- 2 symmetric out
- headphone jack with volume controller
- good mic pre-amps are not mandatory, but could be a plus

What I do with that:
- record output of consoles at gigs
- record stereo output of tape recorders
- record the direct out of preamps, or the stereo output with TL Audio Fat Track

Then I edit and mix my records my Mixbus, I use some LinusDSP plugins when needed. And I send that to the artist(s). Most of my work are demos and/or rehearsal. Sometime, I record acoustic artists, Like does "Handsome Lady Records". And sometimes, it is mixed by other sound engineers, who love discovering Mixbus mixer (like a console).
I recently downsized from an 8 channel firewire interface to to a simple 2i/o usb interface, the Focusrite Scarlett2i2. I've been really happy with it so far and I know it can sometimes be difficult to find a device that works reliably in Linux but I've had no problems at all connecting in Ubuntu Studio. The price is also very reasonable. I can definitely recommend checking it out.
Hello Gabriel,

I know that Focusrite is doing good hardware, thank you. I didn"t know their hardware work with Linux.

Is it better than a Presonus Audiobox USB, in the same range of price ? I own one and the sound is not as very good as the Echo, RME or Apogee...