Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
32C - Soloing a track assigned to a mixbus
Hello,

When having a number of tracks, say 3, all assigned to the same mixbus, soloing one of them, track # 2, will still let track # 1 pass through. It is not soloing. To solo track 2, solo must be pressed, then track # 1 must be switched off the mixbus assignment.

Same with track # 3. I mean, exactly the same. In that case track # 2 will not be heard when # 3 is solo, that's OK, but track # 1 will still be heard and must be cut off from the mixbus in order to have a real solo of track # 3.
Did you try SIP (Solo in place) ?
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
(04-30-2016, 06:06 AM)jonetsu Wrote: When having a number of tracks, say 3, all assigned to the same mixbus, soloing one of them, track # 2, will still let track # 1 pass through. It is not soloing. To solo track 2, solo must be pressed, then track # 1 must be switched off the mixbus assignment.

Same with track # 3. I mean, exactly the same. In that case track # 2 will not be heard when # 3 is solo, that's OK, but track # 1 will still be heard and must be cut off from the mixbus in order to have a real solo of track # 3.

Do you maybe have "Iso" enabled on some of those tracks? Might be happening accidentally by Ctrl+clicking on the solo buttons, IIRC.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
(04-30-2016, 06:26 AM)sonik Wrote: Did you try SIP (Solo in place) ?
SIP is enabled by default. I'm not familiar with these options since I never used them so far in Ardour/Mixbus. In this case, when AFL instead is enabled then the soloing has the expected outcome. The track explicitly solo'ed will be the only one heard.

Just reading the manual now Smile ... SiP would give the result described above, with the other tracks still being (less) heard. I'm OK with using AFL.
You have a pot called SiP-Cut in the monitorsection, at 0 you will not hear any other tracks.
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
(04-30-2016, 11:36 AM)sonik Wrote: You have a pot called SiP-Cut in the monitorsection, at 0 you will not hear any other tracks.
Thanks. It's nice to learn about this although OTOH I have never needed that when working with Ardour/Mixbus.

(04-30-2016, 07:54 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Do you maybe have "Iso" enabled on some of those tracks? Might be happening accidentally by Ctrl+clicking on the solo buttons, IIRC.
If you mean the "Isolated" button at the top of the monitoring section, no. Actually pressing this button does not activate it.
(04-30-2016, 03:03 PM)jonetsu Wrote:
(04-30-2016, 07:54 AM)the C.L.A. Wrote: Do you maybe have "Iso" enabled on some of those tracks? Might be happening accidentally by Ctrl+clicking on the solo buttons, IIRC.
If you mean the "Isolated" button at the top of the monitoring section, no. Actually pressing this button does not activate it.

I meant the "Iso" buttons at the bottom of the mixer strips. But you would also see that "isolated" button in the monitor section blinking as soon as you solo a track, if any of those "Iso" buttons is active. Generally the "Iso" buttons should be deactivated.

These would for example make sense on an utility bus you add for FX, so you still hear the FX bus when tracks get soloed.

[Edit] Or are these hidden by default? This could be changed in "Preferences -> GUI -> Mixer Strip" then.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c