Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GCC5 version of Mixbus 32C please...
Hi Harrison,

can you please add a gcc5 version? I recently tested the new AVLinux (built on gcc5) and I love it. If you exchange Jack 1 for Jack2 it even runs Bitwig. However, a gcc5 version of 32C would be awesome. Dynomite hang for several seconds and I didn't even try Calf & Co yet...

Cheers,
MMM
(04-29-2016, 12:47 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Hi Harrison,

can you please add a gcc5 version? I recently tested the new AVLinux (built on gcc5) and I love it. If you exchange Jack 1 for Jack2 it even runs Bitwig. However, a gcc5 version of 32C would be awesome. Dynomite hang for several seconds and I didn't even try Calf & Co yet...

Cheers,
MMM

Hi Folks,

these Harrison guys are crazy good: I sent the same message via email to mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com - it was short after midnight in Nashville - and had a reply with a link to a gcc5 version in my mail not even 6 hours later.
Now try that with any other DAW vendor...

Thanks Harrison team,
MMM
I need the GCC5 version, too!
Just stumbled over the warning in Mixbus 32C install in AVLinux 2016.
This may be a problem if everyone needs to make a personal mail request ... for the other Mixbus, the link is automatically included.
Hm, kind of odd.
(04-30-2016, 10:17 AM)smallbutfine Wrote: I need the GCC5 version, too!
Just stumbled over the warning in Mixbus 32C install in AVLinux 2016.
This may be a problem if everyone needs to make a personal mail request ... for the other Mixbus, the link is automatically included.
Hm, kind of odd.

Well, the gcc5 version does have a GUI glitch. Some plugins jam X when opening the GUI, not every time and not for ever though... If you wait long enough (up to 1 minute) the plugin's GUI appears and everything works. (while jammed you can still control MB via control surface)
I actually re-install the "wrong" version in a minute and see how this works Smile Maybe with linking to the one gcc5-lib as described somewhere here...

But maybe this is entirely an AVLinux issue, while other distros are not affected, will try also with the UbuntuStudio 16.4.

Maybe X42 has an idea...

Cheers,
MMM
(04-30-2016, 10:43 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: But maybe this is entirely an AVLinux issue, while other distros are not affected, will try also with the UbuntuStudio 16.4.
Maybe X42 has an idea...
Cheers,
MMM

...it also happens with Mixbus 3.3-15... Maybe AVLinux is the culprit here...

MMM
(04-30-2016, 10:43 PM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Well, the gcc5 version does have a GUI glitch. Some plugins jam X when opening the GUI, not every time and not for ever though... If you wait long enough (up to 1 minute) the plugin's GUI appears and everything works. (while jammed you can still control MB via control surface)
I actually re-install the "wrong" version in a minute and see how this works Smile Maybe with linking to the one gcc5-lib as described somewhere here...

But maybe this is entirely an AVLinux issue, while other distros are not affected, will try also with the UbuntuStudio 16.4.

I have experienced similar problems when using and displaying the GUIs of multiple X42 plugins at the same time. The whole screen freezes while the tracks continue to play back. One open plugin GUI does not cause any error, only multiple meters for example. This happens in both the latest Ardour and Mixbus versions under 64 Bit AVLinux 2016 on my machine. I also tried the gcc4 and gcc5 build of Mixbus with no difference in this regard.
(05-01-2016, 05:53 AM)martinp Wrote: I have experienced similar problems when using and displaying the GUIs of multiple X42 plugins at the same time. The whole screen freezes while the tracks continue to play back. One open plugin GUI does not cause any error, only multiple meters for example. This happens in both the latest Ardour and Mixbus versions under 64 Bit AVLinux 2016 on my machine. I also tried the gcc4 and gcc5 build of Mixbus with no difference in this regard.

I didn't try Ardour...
Funny thing is, once "established" in a session (session as in actually working on it) the plugins open normally...

A few minutes ago I mixed on my laptop with AVLinux 2016 and Mixbus 3.3-15 with no problems at all...
The Lappy has nVidia graphics, the desktop is an AMD A series (CPU with builtin Radeon)... maybe the OpenGL-driver-card chain is the problem...
What are you using?

Cheers,
MMM

(edit: either the laptop or the desktop might not have 3.3.67 yet, so i can't make a statement about MB 3.3... would be interesting which graphix libs are in 32C. I need to verify, but not now... bed time for me in Australia)
(05-01-2016, 05:53 AM)martinp Wrote: I have experienced similar problems when using and displaying the GUIs of multiple X42 plugins at the same time. The whole screen freezes while the tracks continue to play back. One open plugin GUI does not cause any error, only multiple meters for example. This happens in both the latest Ardour and Mixbus versions under 64 Bit AVLinux 2016 on my machine. I also tried the gcc4 and gcc5 build of Mixbus with no difference in this regard.

gcc4/5 won't have any influence there. x42-plugins are not affected by the gcc ABI change.
The most likely issue is the openGL driver on your system.

In case of a Nvidia chipset prefer the binary-driver provided by nvidia, some cheaper AMD graphics cards also have this issue. Harrison XT plugins are likewise affected, and you should also be able to produce this when opening multiple openGL applications (glxgears for example).

Sadly there's nothing we can do about this. The problem is also not limited to GNU/Linux. If you search the Forum, there are a couple of reports of Harrison XT plugins having exactly the same problem on Windows, and they are all resolved by updating the graphics card driver.
Thanks guys, I think you're absolutely right about the OpenGL driver being the cause! The most recent version of OvertoneDSP's equalizer (which requires OpenGL 3 support) does not work at all on my system and shows just a blank purple box while the previous version works flawlessly. Hopefully the right driver configuration will solve both problems.

Update: Installing the proprietary Nvidia driver did the trick in my case. Thanks for the tip!
(05-01-2016, 08:57 AM)x42 Wrote: The most likely issue is the openGL driver on your system.

...that's what I suspected, thanks. Yes, XT plugins are heavily affected. Luckily I have a few choices with the AMD (and a free PCIe slot for an nVidia card haha), so let's see how it goes.

MMM