Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixbus on ARM CPU support
i have a question, is it possible to run mixbus on a device with a ARM CPU,
i know I'm able to use ardour but i guess since mixbus is not open source i don't think it's supported, i think thats why there is no mixbus ports only ardour on various linux distributions.
it's highly unlikely that the Harrison DSP will run efficiently on ARM (even with NEON).
PS. Harrison Mixbus is (nearly [1]) identical to Ardour. All the DAW side features are part of the free (GPLv2) Ardour codebase.
What is closed source is the "Channelstrip DSP", a plugin that is loaded at runtime and provides the processing for the channelstrips and Mixbusses.

[1] there are a couple of #ifdef's and options need to be set when compiling and packaging Ardour to produce the Mixbus binary. You can compile your own version of Mixbus, it'll run but without the plugin be somewhat useless.
oh ok i understand, ardour is able to run for sure but i guess i won't be able to enjoy mixbus, i agree I'm not sure on the performance, i was planning on using the mobile device boards from ODROID which feature 4 core and even 8 core arm CPU, they won't be nowhere near the same performance as my intel i5 quad core but i wanted a low powered device for audio mixing, i guess ardour will do for now thanks.
(04-28-2016, 11:51 AM)mrskytown11 Wrote: oh ok i understand, ardour is able to run for sure but i guess i won't be able to enjoy mixbus, i agree I'm not sure on the performance, i was planning on using the mobile device boards from ODROID which feature 4 core and even 8 core arm CPU, they won't be nowhere near the same performance as my intel i5 quad core but i wanted a low powered device for audio mixing, i guess ardour will do for now thanks.
You could go for a jaguarboard.
http://www.jaguarboard.org/index.php/pro...etail.html
Mixbus / Linux 64bit
thanks,
i was also looking at the up board
http://www.up-board.org

they have much updated hardware and specs, which would i guess handle mixbus better, but the intel chips are more costly, and high import fees since its not sold locally in my country,