Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another question about delay compansation
If I send a few tracks each with it's own set of plug-ins to a utility bus will the signal incurr delay even if there is no plug-ins on the bus?
For example. I have three tracks of vocals: Lead' A double and a triple with a delay and a pitch shift. I want to use an aux to control the overall balance of the vocals. Maybe even use the equipment and compressor on the aux. Will it cause delay?
Cheers
-Matt
The tracks going into the bus will be aligned with each other, yes.

I think you can expect the bus to cause one "period" of delay. If you are running at 256 sample buffer size, you will get a 256 sample delay.

This isn't a big deal ( it's about the same as those instruments being 6' further from the listener ), as long as those signals aren't also showing up in another parallel path.

You can use the EQ and compressor on the bus without adding any further delay.

Best,
Ben
(02-24-2014, 10:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: The tracks going into the bus will be aligned with each other, yes.

I think you can expect the bus to cause one "period" of delay. If you are running at 256 sample buffer size, you will get a 256 sample delay.

This isn't a big deal ( it's about the same as those instruments being 6' further from the listener ), as long as those signals aren't also showing up in another parallel path.

Best,
Ben

Thanks Ben.
with vox a little delay is no big thing.
(02-24-2014, 02:02 PM)metrobot Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 10:22 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: The tracks going into the bus will be aligned with each other, yes.

Best,
Ben

Thanks Ben.
with vox a little delay is no big thing.

Phase SadSadSad It's a huge deal to some of your users. Phase is one of the biggest reasons why digital mixing has significant problems compared to analog. Even the DAWS with delay compensation still take a hit sonically as its still not aligning the 1's and zero's as well as the electrical domain.

You guys have figured out a way to lead the pack as far as emulating analog sound quality in a DAW and seem to be very proud of that. But why stop there? It would be pretty sweet to be able to advertise Harrison as a truly phase coherent digital mixing system, no?
(02-24-2014, 02:02 PM)metrobot Wrote: …..with vox a little delay is no big thing.

Or maybe is?
Windows 10, Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro, UAD 2 octo, http://www.youtube.com/user/NikosPitloglou/videos
Having at least a time adjuster plugin and an accurate readout of how much delay individual third party plugins are adding would be a good start for aligning individual tracks.
(03-18-2014, 03:43 PM)Arionas Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 02:02 PM)metrobot Wrote: …..with vox a little delay is no big thing.

Or maybe is?
In this case it isn't, I can just nudge the vocals forward if they feel wrong.
it's not parallel processing. Anyway I opted to just feed the tracks to a bus.
Hey Surrey.
How would you get an accurate readout on the added delay and how would you adjust the difference?
I know that this can be done in ProTools but how would you do that in Mixbus? Your point on phase coherency is spot on as well.
Thanks for your time
-Matt
(03-18-2014, 05:25 PM)metrobot Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 03:43 PM)Arionas Wrote:

Or maybe is?
In this case it isn't, I can just nudge the vocals forward if they feel wrong.
it's not parallel processing. Anyway I opted to just feed the tracks to a bus.
Hey Surrey.
How would you get an accurate readout on the added delay and how would you adjust the difference?
I know that this can be done in ProTools but how would you do that in Mixbus? Your point on phase coherency is spot on as well.
Thanks for your time
-Matt

Other than listening I have no idea how to measure plugin latency other than printing it and having a visual reference to measure and shift the 2 tracks around to re-align. If you are running a session that requires a larger buffer size then having identical plugin/s in across all the individual audio tracks would align them. When going into a non-Harrison buses I have no idea

This is what I'll do when using any UAD plugins that cause a large delay. In a situation where there are multiple mics with leakage like an acoustic drum kit I duplicate every plugin whether they're UAD or not.
Cheers Surrey