Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VCA Fader in MB
Simulating a VCA style fader in Mixbus 3

e.g. Drums

1) Group all of the individual drum channels together and name the new group “drums”
2) Create a utility buss and select the “drums” group in the setup dialogue box
3) Viola! You could now control all of the drums faders with this one bus fader

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
I haven't tried it seems a good workaround. I am not around my computer, does this applies for automation? If you automate the utility bus, does the automation only affect the bus or all in unity?
(03-31-2016, 08:55 AM)BHBstudio Wrote: I haven't tried it seems a good workaround. I am not around my computer, does this applies for automation? If you automate the utility bus, does the automation only affect the bus or all in unity?
I am very glad to say YES! I just tried it and it WORKS GREAT!

Process:
change the VCA fader (utility bus) and the individual drum channels to "write mode"
There is no need to change the mode again, because when you finish your fader riding (automation), all channels will automatically switch to "touch mode".
just sit back and watch you faders ride up and down Smile

P.S I wish there was a way to have all the individual channels change to write mode automatically by just selecting it from the utility bus (utility bus as master)

Jouvert
So in this case I must say Thank you Jouvert. For the first time this utility bus will be useful for me.
I'm not sure why you need the extra utility bus. Group faders all move together by default anyway. VCA is different in that it could be automated separately from the channels which this method doesn't offer unless you route the group through the utility bus. I enable / disable groups on the fly depending on if I'm tweaking mostly single channels or the group, so there's a fair chance of the group 'vca' not doing what I expected unless I check the group is enabled every time. Main use for vca for me would be to have different VCAs to control specific sections of the mix, like "everything but kick and bass" or "chorus boost" and as tracks can only be in one group, that kills it as an option for my intended workflow.
I guess it would not be for everyone's work flow. It's just as BHB said "a work around" until we get dedicated VCA faders.
Just thought I'd pit it out there anyway, if anyone's interested.
Jouvert
The question is how the solo/mute knobs work in utility buses when pressed. What is exactly I hear? (considering that we may have solo or mute buttons engaged on other tracks or mixbuses) It was an issue (a bit chaotic) in MB2 and I think still has some complications. I would be happy if I were mistaken on this but I remember some threads dealt with it.
VCA will be great because only velocity task so not much DSP or CPU it would consume. I think the best would be an option to add VCA if needed.
Tassy