Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPU Lockup
Just about all of my XT plugins that have any sort of fancy graphic thing happening is freezing my session so that the track continues to play, but the program/computer is completely unresponsive. When I exit to TTY I see that there has been a GPU lockup... nvidia card, but using the open source driver.
We use OpenGL to draw our plugins; this allows us to write the plugin code once, and it can be compiled and run on mac, windows, and linux.

Unfortunately this puts us at the mercy of the OpenGL implementation being correct. Problems are exceeding rare in Mac (due to Apple's control of the hardware and software), and still rare in Windows (because lots of gamers test opengl very thoroughly there), but unfortunately problems are fairly common on linux.

Sometimes it is beneficial to use the proprietary drivers, and sometimes it works better to use the open-source ones. Depending on the hardware, linux version, etc etc.

There is a way to force your system to use software opengl rendering. This might fix the problem ( or might not )

Assuming you are using mixbus v3.2.22, try launching Mixbus from a terminal like this:

set LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
/opt/Mixbus-3.2.22/bin/mixbus

Let me know if this solves your issue.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I've already switched to the propriety driver, so I'll check that first.
I had this exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago, and I am racking my brain trying to remember what I did to solve it. It was locking up on ANY plugin with a GUI. When I get home this evening I will look at my system and see if I can pull it back out of my head.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
(03-29-2016, 09:35 PM)hhtt Wrote: Just about all of my XT plugins that have any sort of fancy graphic thing happening is freezing my session so that the track continues to play, but the program/computer is completely unresponsive. When I exit to TTY I see that there has been a GPU lockup... nvidia card, but using the open source driver.

I have an nvidia graphics card in my computer also but don't bother to use it on my linux/debian stable system as even nvidia's latest drivers (nvidia seems to have only a token interest in supporting Linux users to date Sad ) cause issues with my system... If you are running a multi OS (ie Windows/OSX and Linux) system and don't mind bypassing your nvidia card on Linux - you might find it best/more stable to just run your monitor/s straight from your mother boards GPU (I'm using HDMI ports) bypassing the nvidia card altogether on Linux and using the OpenGL option.
So, with UbuntuStudio, the proprietary driver was needed... updated system to KXStudio and all ran fine out of the box.