Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is too much chaining of XLR inputs
I have a small, 3 room studio. Nothing spectacular, but pretty nice for project status.

The control room is fed by two xlr snakes. However I now have a need/want to possibly move the board to the other side of the control room which the snakes will not reach. Would adding another 5-10 ft of xlr snake plus the connectors spell a bad idea?

Here's how it would look coming from the live rooms into the control room based on what I'm proposing:

Mic(s)-->10-20 ft XLR cable-->20 ft XLR snake-->10 ft XLR cable--->Mixer

I assumed decent quality cables will help, but even so I worry I'm going to introduce noise. If that's the case the mixer stays where it's at.

Thoughts?
(03-28-2016, 04:19 PM)billparcells Wrote: I have a small, 3 room studio. Nothing spectacular, but pretty nice for project status.

The control room is fed by two xlr snakes. However I now have a need/want to possibly move the board to the other side of the control room which the snakes will not reach. Would adding another 5-10 ft of xlr snake plus the connectors spell a bad idea?

Here's how it would look coming from the live rooms into the control room based on what I'm proposing:

Mic(s)-->10-20 ft XLR cable-->20 ft XLR snake-->10 ft XLR cable--->Mixer

I assumed decent quality cables will help, but even so I worry I'm going to introduce noise. If that's the case the mixer stays where it's at.

Thoughts?
Nothing to worry about
ever been to a live concert ?
seen the distances covert ?
From stage to front of house mixer ?

actually i should have come with impedances : cable resistance

But

you can do a pragmatic test and couple a mike : and use all the cables you have
Frank W. Kooistra

- MMB32C 9.1, AD/DA: Motu:1248, 8A, 8D, Monitor8. X-Touch,, Mini M1 11.6.2, venture 13.3 plugins melda fabfilter harrison No Harrison CP-1 
(03-28-2016, 06:10 PM)Frank Wrote: seen the distances covert ?
From stage to front of house mixer ?

Cable lenghts between balanced connections are not a problem. However, every connector (plug) has a resistance and resistors introduce white noise (though very low).
Make sure you have good quality plugs (gold plated maybe) and keep them maintained. Unplug/check/re-plug every 3 months or so, so the oxide layer will be destroyed = low resistance = low (inaudible) noise.

HTH
MMM
Awesome then! Thanks fellas. I'll have plenty more, appreciate it.