Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Is Just Not There Yet.
Nice update and headed in the right direction.

But dinking around with MB 3.2 all day and it is just not there yet.

Just fills incomplete. To much fanagleing to get plugins to show up the Manual is incomplete etc.

Will keep checking back with every update.

Ardour was my first DAW so I really want you guys to succeed.

Later
(03-17-2016, 10:15 PM)Philip Philips Sapp Wrote: Nice update and headed in the right direction.

But dinking around with MB 3.2 all day and it is just not there yet.

Just fills incomplete. To much fanagleing to get plugins to show up the Manual is incomplete etc.

Will keep checking back with every update.

Ardour was my first DAW so I really want you guys to succeed.

Later

I don't think it will ever "get there" so if this is what you are waiting for...well it could be an awful long wait.

The way I see it, mixbus is a mixing tool. This is what it does extremely well. All other aspects of a modern DAW are 10 years behind and I can't see ever catch up with Logic, Cubase, Reaper etc... BUT their mixing environment is second to none.

NOW I AM ASKING TO THE HARRISON GUYS HERE.... I have read you partnering with yamaha and Steinberg.

We will ever see Cubase or Nuendo with your mixer integrated?

THAT would be the ultimate DAW
(03-21-2016, 04:00 AM)gylda Wrote: The way I see it, mixbus is a mixing tool. This is what it does extremely well. All other aspects of a modern DAW are 10 years behind and I can't see ever catch up with Logic, Cubase, Reaper etc... BUT their mixing environment is second to none.

Perhaps I am just ignorant, but exactly what aspects of a modern DAW are missing in Mixbus? Mixbus does absolutely everything I need it to do for my workflow, but I will profess that my experience with other DAW's is pretty limited. So I'm curious about all this magic that I seem to be missing.

Having said that, I'm willing to miss some of this 'last ten years of DAW development' magic to keep the audio magic; after all, in the final product the end listener only cares about how it sounds. And Mixbus has The Sound.

Quote:NOW I AM ASKING TO THE HARRISON GUYS HERE.... I have read you partnering with yamaha and Steinberg.

In what ways would this be the ultimate DAW? It still wouldn't be SADiE, which many people consider the 'ultimate' DAW. The biggest feature SADiE has that Mixbus doesn't (to the best of my knowledge, at least) is mixed sampling rates within a session, which makes SADiE the choice for people like Bob Katz for mastering.
"Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again! "
-- Xenix System III 3.2, Tandy 6000, ca. 1987

Dell Precision 7740 Core i7-9750H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 3x1TB SSD 1920x1080 plus 2x1920x1200 triple-screen
Mixbus 9.2.171, and 32C 9.2.171, Debian 11 x86_64 Linux
(03-21-2016, 11:59 AM)lowen Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 04:00 AM)gylda Wrote: The way I see it, mixbus is a mixing tool. This is what it does extremely well. All other aspects of a modern DAW are 10 years behind and I can't see ever catch up with Logic, Cubase, Reaper etc... BUT their mixing environment is second to none.

Perhaps I am just ignorant, but exactly what aspects of a modern DAW are missing in Mixbus? Mixbus does absolutely everything I need it to do for my workflow, but I will profess that my experience with other DAW's is pretty limited. So I'm curious about all this magic that I seem to be missing.

Having said that, I'm willing to miss some of this 'last ten years of DAW development' magic to keep the audio magic; after all, in the final product the end listener only cares about how it sounds. And Mixbus has The Sound.

Quote:NOW I AM ASKING TO THE HARRISON GUYS HERE.... I have read you partnering with yamaha and Steinberg.

In what ways would this be the ultimate DAW? It still wouldn't be SADiE, which many people consider the 'ultimate' DAW. The biggest feature SADiE has that Mixbus doesn't (to the best of my knowledge, at least) is mixed sampling rates within a session, which makes SADiE the choice for people like Bob Katz for mastering.

A mastering workflow is different than mixing I think you would agree.

What DAWS have you used?

I have been using Pro Tools for the past 7 years. And things just work.

It took me almost a week to get my plugins to just show up in MB 3 to use them.

It reminds me of my years working on linux systems. Always chasing your tail fixing and patching someone else's creation while maintaining a mentality that what I am using is better than anything else's while it is a constant flux of HALF BAKED.

That is insanity.

But if it works for you great.

I am a paying customer who is not pigeon hold into defending any DAW.

So if I feel it is not there yet it is not.

What attracted me to MB was the incorporation of Ardour. Paul is a genius and all around good guy. I still donate to that cause from time to time. Which in turn helps this cause.
(03-21-2016, 12:57 PM)Philip Philips Sapp Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 11:59 AM)lowen Wrote:
(03-21-2016, 04:00 AM)gylda Wrote: The way I see it, mixbus is a mixing tool. ...

... but I will profess that my experience with other DAW's is pretty limited. So I'm curious about all this magic that I seem to be missing....
It still wouldn't be SADiE, which many people consider the 'ultimate' DAW. The biggest feature SADiE has that Mixbus doesn't (to the best of my knowledge, at least) is mixed sampling rates within a session, which makes SADiE the choice for people like Bob Katz for mastering.

A mastering workflow is different than mixing I think you would agree.

But the 'ultimate DAW' should be equally adept at both, and SADiE is. But you have the right idea in that what is the 'best' DAW depends on how it is going to be used.

Quote: What DAWS have you used?
What attracted me to MB was the incorporation of Ardour. Paul is a genius and all around good guy. I still donate to that cause from time to time. Which in turn helps this cause.

I have used (briefly) ProTools (an older fixed-point version, years ago), Adobe Audtion and CoolEditPro before that, the minimal, but functional, DAW that was built into The Management's Digital DJ (DOS broadcast automation software from the early 1990's), AudioFile Engineering's Wave Editor (now Triumph) and Sample Manager (now Myriad), the editor built in to Celemony Melodyne, Audacity, a bit of QTractor, and of course Ardour (in the pre-1.0 days, even). I got clued in to Mixbus through Ardour, but it is a different DAW to a degree. I have used several iZotope plugins in Triumph and in Mixbus, most notably Alloy, Ozone, and the innovative Spectron. The bundled CuBase with my Tascam US-144 didn't impress me, but I also didn't use it very much.

I use Mixbus on both Mac OS X (those times I need Melodyne and/or Ozone) and CentOS Linux (RHEL 7 rebuild from source) and I find that things that I use Just Work, even on CentOS. But I'm not trying to use hundreds of third party plugins, either, since for me the Harrison sets (paying customer here, too, and I've paid ever since Mixbus 1.0, through the 2.0 upgrade and through all of 2.x along with now up to 3.2 along with several of the Harrison Plugins) do almost all of what I need to do, and the Calf plugins do everything else. But my plugin needs are pretty minimal. And, well, I have been a Linux user for right at 20 years; I do IT for a living, and find CentOS far more stable than Windows, at least in my shop (and in my shop I am the top IT person, the CIO).

But, again, I'm just wondering what I am missing; I can't think of anything right off that the others did that I miss.
"Bughlt: Sckmud
Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again! "
-- Xenix System III 3.2, Tandy 6000, ca. 1987

Dell Precision 7740 Core i7-9750H 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 3x1TB SSD 1920x1080 plus 2x1920x1200 triple-screen
Mixbus 9.2.171, and 32C 9.2.171, Debian 11 x86_64 Linux
(03-21-2016, 04:00 AM)gylda Wrote: I don't think it will ever "get there" so if this is what you are waiting for...well it could be an awful long wait.

The way I see it, mixbus is a mixing tool. This is what it does extremely well. All other aspects of a modern DAW are 10 years behind and I can't see ever catch up with Logic, Cubase, Reaper etc... BUT their mixing environment is second to none.

I agree totally with this so far, you really can not replace your current DAW with MB3 [In my experience], it is just not up to the task, to buggy, to crashy, far to much plugin incompatibility etc etc etc. [Personal experience only, which is really all one can go on, others may say and find different, and good for them]

I basically don't even try to use MB3 anymore, I do install each update as it comes, fire it up look at a few things, shut it down. If things stay like they are, I 'll keep following MB until such time that need to pay more money to keep current, at which time I will just ditch MB altogether.

Love the way Studio One 3 is going, and with the new AWESOME 'Mix Engine FX' and the 'Console Shaper' plugin for the 'Mix Engine FX', and more plugins upcoming, my reason for wanting to use MB, the sound, is fast becoming obsolete.
I agree that at this moment in time, you really can't entirely replace your current DAW with Mixbus 3, nor do I think that you should. For me, Mixbus represents the final mixing/mastering stage at which time, your (tracking) DAW should be finished doing its job. So my workflow has two parts, tracking and mixing. It has helped me in streamlining both jobs. When tracking, I can focus on just getting all tracks done, without any distractions of which plugins to use on what channel.

Exporting stems from your DAW, kind of gives a certain finality to your first job, indicating the next leg of the process.
I use less plugins now, than I did before. Would have saved me a lot of ca$h indeed. The integrated channelstrip is something all DAWs should have, and this is where Mixbus shines. To be able to 'see' your mix is priceless and I won't trade it for anything else. Mixbus for me, is a digital mixing console. A great partner for any DAW Big Grin.