Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I started teaching myself a new workflow on Mixbus
Smile 
(02-19-2016, 05:33 AM)youki Wrote: Also, i already talked with Pro-tools users that were looking for something else due to the pricing policies of Avid. They were interested in Mixbus, but each time the lack of busses latency compensation disheartened them (kind of "we had to wait for it very long in PT, we're not going back to this situation").

If my idea about treating the FX as external gear works, then it's already latency compensation there - well, a sort of. It will not take long time to make the arrangements when you have the workflow under your fingertips.

(02-19-2016, 05:21 AM)stepaan Wrote: Well maybe you're right. I am a bedroom producer.

A lot of amazingly wonderful things have happened and happens in bedrooms - even creation and mixing of great music and big international hits! Smile
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
(02-19-2016, 05:33 AM)youki Wrote: Also, i already talked with Pro-tools users that were looking for something else due to the pricing policies of Avid. They were interested in Mixbus, but each time the lack of busses latency compensation disheartened them (kind of "we had to wait for it very long in PT, we're not going back to this situation").

Yeah that's natural... in PT you have to throw in a truckload of plugins before you can start mixing, then you are bussing the hell out of it... at least that's what most users do and audio schools/tutorials teach. So if you have done that for years it seems natural to you and you can't imagine something else.
Additionally to Jostein's mentioning using send/returns as latency compensated plugins (I did that in 2.5 but for the reason to use a channel of stereo plugins on mono tracks and also for side chaining - works like a charm) - if you put a delay or even a reverb on an AUX bus, latency compensation seems to be not such a big problem Smile

MMM
After reading how some of you are using your Mixbuses, I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned that aux buses can easily be used for reverbs and delays because the lack of latency compensation is really not a problem on a reverb or Delay.
Win 10 64 bit, intel core i7-8700, 16GB RAM, Mackie ONYX blackbird interface
Yes but the difference between the aux and the 8 bus for reverb is staggering it is just for me. The one that I put on 8 bus tend to glue the dry signal, in the other hand the aux that I put will sit kind of side by side. So I highly recommend and use the 8 busses for reverb use. Delay and all can be used by duplicating. Which is much faster and easier to manage. By naming a group of FXs and group them together. That way I can even listen the the FX by solo and decide if it needs EQ or compressor etc.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
(02-21-2016, 01:13 PM)BHBstudio Wrote: Yes but the difference between the aux and the 8 bus for reverb is staggering it is just for me.

It also runs into the Aux Send bugs, so some of us are avoiding that workflow for non-audio issues. Anyone not aware they need to use an External Send and set the send pan to match the channel pan is going to have a build up in the centre of their mix from all the mono fx.
(02-21-2016, 01:04 PM)Breeze007 Wrote: After reading how some of you are using your Mixbuses, I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned that aux buses can easily be used for reverbs and delays because the lack of latency compensation is really not a problem on a reverb or Delay.

Yes, they can. But I also mentioned use of gated reverb on snares. This particular use of reverb should be as much precise as possible. So I loose one bus only for one drum to sound good. ;-) Anyway, you're completely right.
(02-22-2016, 07:48 AM)stepaan Wrote:
(02-21-2016, 01:04 PM)Breeze007 Wrote: After reading how some of you are using your Mixbuses, I'm surprised that only one person has mentioned that aux buses can easily be used for reverbs and delays because the lack of latency compensation is really not a problem on a reverb or Delay.

Yes, they can. But I also mentioned use of gated reverb on snares. This particular use of reverb should be as much precise as possible. So I loose one bus only for one drum to sound good. ;-) Anyway, you're completely right.

Why not just put that reverb directly on the snare track then.....or perhaps you have a sn botton and Sn top.....may put on both?

Anyway, I find this thread very interesting because I am trying to come up with a great workflow as well. I mainly use Logic, and it's a piece of cake to do anything. But I can't get past the fact that Mixbus sounds better, period. No doubt about it.

One thing for me is the mixer. All the tracks look so similar.....I don't tend to have projects with many tracks, say 20 or so, but I get lost in that mixer.....in logic I can make all the drums Red the Guitars Bue etc. In Mixbus they all look the same even if you color them, so when scrolling around, I get lost.....and I would LOVE to be able to have the arrangement page with the mixer docked at the bottom of it......I only have one screen, so switching back and forth is not ideal....if not, at least have transport buttons on both.

Anyway, I think the ultimate solution for all this is to just use it more and more, and I will develop a flow.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Hudson
check out my music @
http://capitalcband.bandcamp.com - my band
http://ianhudson.bandcamp.com - just me
(02-22-2016, 07:00 PM)Suds Wrote: One thing for me is the mixer. All the tracks look so similar.....I don't tend to have projects with many tracks, say 20 or so, but I get lost in that mixer.....in logic I can make all the drums Red the Guitars Bue etc. In Mixbus they all look the same even if you color them, so when scrolling around, I get lost

Groups are your friend there. Click the G icon on a channel and create groups that share their colour. Group colouring is a bit more visible than channel ones Smile
(02-22-2016, 07:25 PM)Domino Wrote:
(02-22-2016, 07:00 PM)Suds Wrote: One thing for me is the mixer. All the tracks look so similar.....I don't tend to have projects with many tracks, say 20 or so, but I get lost in that mixer.....in logic I can make all the drums Red the Guitars Bue etc. In Mixbus they all look the same even if you color them, so when scrolling around, I get lost

Groups are your friend there. Click the G icon on a channel and create groups that share their colour. Group colouring is a bit more visible than channel ones Smile

NICE!!! that's a great way to do it.....thanks! Actually looking more into groups, it seems like a core of Mixbus workflow......

does collect group work for you? not for me.....I though that would be a GREAT was to quickly organize all my imported tracks in order, and then colour them of course......but it doesn't work?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Hudson
check out my music @
http://capitalcband.bandcamp.com - my band
http://ianhudson.bandcamp.com - just me
(02-22-2016, 07:25 PM)Domino Wrote:

Yeah, groups are absolutely necessary for organizing the Mixer Window, and for rationalizing the Editor Window - soloing, muting, arming tracks for recording another take, grabbing a fader. Speeds everything up.

But one the most important things that speeds the process up for me is the channel strip EQ and compressor. I do some simple tweaks as soon as I record some stuff - high pass filters and basic compressors and such and it gives me a sort of ballpark impression of the mix. For some reason, it helps me decide quicker whether something I've recorded makes the cut.