Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tempo map import
Hi, this is my first post on this board.

1. Is there a way to import a tempo map from a midi file into Mixbus?

2. I read in the Mixbus manual that a tempo change can only occur at the beginning of a bar.
Does it mean that it is then not possible to import and accurately place a track (midi or audio) containing tempo changes that do not occur at the beginning of a bar or containing continuous tempo changes?

My aim is to import projects created in Cubase.
I find it quite easy to import and place audio tracks in Mixbus with projects with only one tempo but as soon as a project has several tempo changes or continuous tempo changes I must confess that I am lost.
Importing a midi track who has a tempo map inside does not help.
It seems as if the tempo map of the midi file is not read or recognized by Mixbus.
Windows 10 - 64 bit || Mixbus 32c - 64 bit || Mixbus 3 - 64 bit || Cubase 8.5 - 64 bit || Finale 2014.5 || RME Raydat + RME ADI-8 AE || Mobo Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI || Intel Core i7-3930K ||
(01-07-2016, 03:09 PM)teacue Wrote: Hi, this is my first post on this board.

1. Is there a way to import a tempo map from a midi file into Mixbus?

2. I read in the Mixbus manual that a tempo change can only occur at the beginning of a bar.
Does it mean that it is then not possible to import and accurately place a track (midi or audio) containing tempo changes that do not occur at the beginning of a bar or containing continuous tempo changes?

My aim is to import projects created in Cubase.
I find it quite easy to import and place audio tracks in Mixbus with projects with only one tempo but as soon as a project has several tempo changes or continuous tempo changes I must confess that I am lost.
Importing a midi track who has a tempo map inside does not help.
It seems as if the tempo map of the midi file is not read or recognized by Mixbus.

I too would be very interested in knowing if importing midi w/ a tempo map is supported somehow(or will be at some point in time - 3.1 perhaps....)? I've not had any luck importing MIDI containing one and retaining the tempo mapping.

D
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

(01-08-2016, 10:10 PM)deefedor Wrote: I too would be very interested in knowing if importing midi w/ a tempo map is supported somehow(or will be at some point in time - 3.1 perhaps....)? I've not had any luck importing MIDI containing one and retaining the tempo mapping.

I suppose it is indeed not possible to import a midi tempo map.
I also can't see any possibility in Mixbus to set a tempo change at any SMPTE time code position, one can only choose the beat of a bar.
This makes it not possible to manually recreate a complex tempo map.
It's a pity.
I can only hope that the announced alliance between Harisson, Yamaha and Steinberg will lead to something like including Mixbus into Cubase.
That would be really great for Cubase users Smile
Right click on the tempo marker lane at any point you want (bar, SMPTE etc) and you can change the bpm, does that help ?
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-09-2016, 05:37 AM)Dingo Wrote: Right click on the tempo marker lane at any point you want (bar, SMPTE etc) and you can change the bpm, does that help ?

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Indeed, right clicking on the tempo marker lane is the way I try to insert a new tempo in order to (re)create a tempo map.
Inserting a new tempo this way leads to a window where you can set the BPM value and set where the new tempo begins.
As far as I can see the tempo value can be set with two digits after comma.
And the value of the tempo begin can be set with the bar number and the beat number.
I see no other option to set SMPTE value or others.
Do I miss something?
Please correct me if other values are possible.

Of course I am aware that a Bar/Beat resolution and a two digits after comma resolution for tempo value can be extremely usefull and enough in a lot of situations.
Cubase allows extremely high resolution for time value:
. up to 1000 ticks for one-sixteenth
. tempo values with 3 digits after comma

I often made use of these high resolution values for a lot of my music.
I am also aware that there are other ways to work with Mixbus despite of a different resolutions concept, I am simply checking what kind of my already existing music projects I can work with in Mixbus.
1) There is currently no way to import an external tempo-map.
2) correct. Currently Tempo and Metrum are internally linked. The restriction to only allow tempo changes on each bars comes from the fact that the Metrum can only change at full bars.

(2) is being worked on along with Tempo-ramps and will likely show up in future 3.X versions.
(1) some creative solutions exist for this case, which basically involves scripting or editing the Mixbus session-file directly (look for "TempoMap" in the XML). Adding support to import Tempo/Metrum will have to be revisited after (2) is implemented.
(01-09-2016, 08:28 AM)x42 Wrote: 1) There is currently no way to import an external tempo-map.
2) correct. Currently Tempo and Metrum are internally linked. The restriction to only allow tempo changes on each bars comes from the fact that the Metrum can only change at full bars.

(2) is being worked on along with Tempo-ramps and will likely show up in future 3.X versions.
(1) some creative solutions exist for this case, which basically involves scripting or editing the Mixbus session-file directly (look for "TempoMap" in the XML). Adding support to import Tempo/Metrum will have to be revisited after (2) is implemented.

This is good news - thanks! (Does a project need to have a tempo change defined in MB in order to generate an initial "TempoMap" element in the XML?)
MB, MB32C, V10, Win 7/10, MacOS Catalina and Ventura, MBP & Ryzen platforms, nVidia and Radeon GPU’s, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Mackie Onyx 1640, X-Touch, 43” UHD, x2 27” 4K

(01-09-2016, 09:56 AM)deefedor Wrote: Does a project need to have a tempo change defined in MB in order to generate an initial "TempoMap" element in the XML?

No. There is always the default tempo. (120bpm, 4/4)

Code:
<TempoMap>
  <Tempo start="1|1|0" beats-per-minute="120.000000" note-type="4.000000" movable="no"/>
  <Meter start="1|1|0" note-type="4.000000" divisions-per-bar="4.000000" movable="no"/>
</TempoMap>
(01-09-2016, 02:55 PM)x42 Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 09:56 AM)deefedor Wrote: Does a project need to have a tempo change defined in MB in order to generate an initial "TempoMap" element in the XML?

No. There is always the default tempo. (120bpm, 4/4)

Code:
<TempoMap>
  <Tempo start="1|1|0" beats-per-minute="120.000000" note-type="4.000000" movable="no"/>
  <Meter start="1|1|0" note-type="4.000000" divisions-per-bar="4.000000" movable="no"/>
</TempoMap>

Thanks for these informations.
I first looked at a document with .xml ending and only found instant.xml that does not contain any tempo map, but after looking at the other documents (project title.ardour) I see now the tempo map.
I will try to experiment and find a "creative solution" Wink
After trying to edit the Tempo Map in the XML file, I was not able to recreate a tempo ramp that was created in Cubase.
I guess at this time it is better not to try to deal with this and wait until a midi tempo map import function is implemented.
There is always the solution to import audio tracks and to ignore meter and tempo during the mix process.
I must say that I am quite amazed about the sound that can be achieved with Mixbus!