Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweaks to increase performance? (A preferences question).
I have a project with 6 or 7 audio tracks. These were recorded in Sonar...so they are wav files. I was playing around with recording a guitar with S-Gear and 3 other plugins and the dsp was getting pretty high. It blinked red a few times.
Is there a specific setting I should be setting differently than the default Mixbus settings?
I have a quad core i7, but I believe Mixbus is set to use one thread or core? Does that sound right? I'm not at my daw PC at the moment, but I was sitting here thinking about it so thought I would ask if you guys remember a tweak or two you made which helped. Thanks.
No one has any tweaks to increase performance beyond the default configurations? Maybe I should change the name of the thread?
A quad-core i7 should play 100+ tracks with "many" plugins. I think you should visit the "Windows installation" section of the Mixbus manual. Windows requires a few tweaks to have decent audio performance.

By default, Mixbus is configured to use all of your CPU cores for audio processing, except one. ( avoiding one core helps your desktop remain responsive, even if Mixbus is playing a lot of tracks ). You can change that setting in the Preferences/Misc tab.

Best,
-Ben
Thanks Ben. I'll check that. My PC was built by ADK Pro Audio, so I'm sure it's configured correctly. I wonder if I set Mixbus to run on less cores. Something to look for. Thanks!

Everything seems to be setup correctly. I was recording at 128 buffers, maybe that was too low. I increase the buffers to 256 and the dsp dropped to around 15%.

What are xruns?
(11-23-2015, 10:56 PM)clintmartin Wrote: Thanks Ben. I'll check that. My PC was built by ADK Pro Audio, so I'm sure it's configured correctly. I wonder if I set Mixbus to run on less cores. Something to look for. Thanks!

"*fewer"
- Stannis Baratheon (I couldn't help myself) Smile
Helpful.
(11-24-2015, 06:19 AM)clintmartin Wrote: Helpful.

Lighten up, guy! It was just a lighthearted jape! Smile
Make sure you have priority and affinity settings set to the highest possible in your task manager. Also, if you are on a laptop; adjusting the power-settings to maximum (advanced powersettings) will give you a boost in performance for CPU-heavy tasks if your CPU is not already set to 100%.

Setting to "maximum performance" in the control panel's "system performance"-panel will also give you more resources for the DAW. There are many tweaks that you can do to imporve oerall performance in Windows that will help Mixbus.
xruns are glitches.

A computer must process audio in regular intervals: Read N samples from the soundcard, process the audio, send it back out.
If processing takes longer than the time corresponding to the given number of audio-samples, the input buffer will overflow and the output buffer underrun and there's a glitch in the audio (crackles, pops, ...).

If a system cannot reliably meet the process deadline, you'll get x-runs, where "X" is a placeholder for "audio/midi buffer over/under".

You can right click on the status-bar (next to DSP load,...) and show "x-run counter". Shift+click to reset it.
The DSP-load indicator shows max ( time-required-to-process-an-audio-block / duration-of-the-audio-block ). It displays the worst-case maximum (not average) over the last 10 seconds (or so). You're good as long as it's below 100%.

Increasing the buffersize (Audio/Midi setup) usually helps, but there is no straight-foward recipe to tweak a generic PC system for realtime-safety (realtime safe means that a system can reliably meet the process deadline). It's also not unheard of that there's a sweet-spot for a given system and buffersizes/sample-rates (esp for USB).

Disabling some power-saving options (e.g C1E halt states in the BIOS, set the system to "performance", etc) can help, using a different USB/PCI slot for the soundcard (IRQ sharing), .. configuring the software to only use one core (results in consistent load, rather than variable load on multiple CPUs -> some CPUs enter sleep/powersafe modes).

This is where Apple has an edge: one knows exactly what hardware is in the box, how it's wired up and how it behaves. It's also how some PC vendors make a living e.g. carillonac1.com, the ADK Pro Audio that you mentioned or the Harrison x-range hardware: hand-pick and properly assemble components suitable for realtime audio.
Some further info: http://manual.ardour.org/setting-up-your...tal-audio/

PS. an x-run can also occur for non-realtime operations (eg. adding a plugin, add tracks,...). This is normal. Analogy: Insert a distortion between a guitar and an amp while playing: the audio will glitch while you re-plug the cables.
(11-24-2015, 07:24 AM)Overmann Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 06:19 AM)clintmartin Wrote: Helpful.

Lighten up, guy! It was just a lighthearted jape! Smile
Make sure you have priority and affinity settings set to the highest possible in your task manager. Also, if you are on a laptop; adjusting the power-settings to maximum (advanced powersettings) will give you a boost in performance for CPU-heavy tasks if your CPU is not already set to 100%.

Setting to "maximum performance" in the control panel's "system performance"-panel will also give you more resources for the DAW. There are many tweaks that you can do to imporve oerall performance in Windows that will help Mixbus.
It was a light hearted response (My daughter is an English teacher. She would have laughed at your jape!). I appreciate the ideas you guys have written about. I'll look into this tonight and double check that ADK has things setup properly. I only noticed this when trying to record a guitar with the buffer set at 128.