Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording Latency Problem MB v3
Question 
Hi. Whenever I make a recording it ends up being slightly ahead of what I have recorded before.

To check it wasn't my playing, I tested it by loading in a drum loop and then recording it back through a mic onto another track in Mixbus; and, sure enough, the recording was slightly ahead (maybe half a second) of the drum loop.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Wow, a half-second is a really long time. That sounds like something is terribly wrong.

In the "Audio setup" window, there's a function at the bottom which "calibrates" your I/O latency. Click that button and follow the directions to calibrate your system.

Note that some devices, such as USB, inherently change latency with each reboot of your computer.

Then re-run your test with a simple, brand-new session. If you still have the problem, I suggest that you write our support email (mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com) directly so we can work on the problem more closely.

Best,
-Ben
Thanks for your reply.

I restarted and the latency reduced a bit - but it's still not in sync.

I tried the calibration and it says I have inverted wiring as it comes up with a negative figure. (I'm 99% sure I have the wiring the right way around)

I'm using an Audient ID22 USB interface by the way. It works fine in an old copy of Cubase I have. So I wonder if it's something to do with the Port Audio and the Audient ID22 (if I select the direct ASIO Audio System option instead of the Port Audio ASIO option it crashes).

I think I might need to email support with this one.
AFAIK the calibration is only to calibrate for ADDITIONAL latency (apart form the buffers) - for example the one caused by the converters. So as the recording is AHEAD it's not the right tool here.

The recording being ahead seems more like Mixbus thinks your interface is using a higher buffer size than it actually does. So a first step might be to compare the settings in Mixbus' audio setup with those of the control software of your interface.
Disclaimer: Any resemblance of my nick with a given engineer is purely coincidental!
Desktop: AMD Phenom II x6, 4 GB RAM, Radeon graphics, RME HDSP 9652
Laptop: Thinkpad E560, i3 6100U, 8 GB RAM, Intel graphics, Tascam US-2x2
X32 Rack - Debian GNU/Linux - 32c
Thanks. I thought the same about the calibration tool.

I've just checked and the buffer rate in Mixbus and on my soundcard seem to match up.

I also tested with a new session. My recordings are advanced by (what looks like) 1312 samples - and my sound card buffer is set to 1024 samples.

Very odd indeed Confused

I've just tested another new session at a different sample rate (44.1 instead of 48) and I now have a delay of around 1570 samples. Huh
1024 samples buffer seems to high for recording, i usually use a buffer at 256 samples, that gives me decent latency
An Audio interface with good written drivers should have no problem using 256 samples or even 128 samples..
jan_krakeli@hotmail.com
Hey, thanks for your reply.

You know what.... it actually seems to have fixed the problem!

I dropped the buffer size to 256 samples and everything is in sync now. Funny how it's only an issue with Mixbus and not other DAWs; but its no issue for my system running with the lower buffer size and I'm just happy the problem appears to be sorted. Smile
Wink 
(11-25-2015, 07:44 AM)chrisk Wrote: Hey, thanks for your reply.

You know what.... it actually seems to have fixed the problem!

I dropped the buffer size to 256 samples and everything is in sync now.

Great, Happy mixing.. Wink
jan_krakeli@hotmail.com