Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Mixbus setup
Would anyone like to share how they use the 8 mixbuses? I have used them many different ways and here is basically what I do now:
1-5: mixbus processing
6-8: fx
mixbus1: [lows] usually drums & bass
mixbus2: [mids] usually guitars
mixbus3: [highs] keys
mixbus4: [bgv] background vocals
mixbus5: [lvox] lead vocals
mixbus6: [delay]
mixbus7: [plate]
mixbus8: [room]

I'm curious as to how others use these.
Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave

First I used MBs for grouping instruments but added buses seemed less practical for me for processing.

Now I use for grouping the groups optionSmile

and the MBs as follows:
1-3 three layers of raverb: room, plate. hall
4 delay
5 drum smack
6 aditional tape or tube saturation
7-8 FX for any instrument or group that needs it

- They in my template (plugs inserted, active, faders down)
- The template containes also some stereo tracks for instruments which mostly need 3dt party plugs (they are inserted but not active) (kick, snare, base, gtr, because I save time inserting st tracks later if it comes to use plugs that have no mono version and the mono record shoud be draged into stereo track to use them.)
- And containing some stero added busses if more than 8 MBs required.
This template proved to be offering a quick and smooth wokflow for me.

Best
Tassy
Good deal, Tassy. I like it. I, too have a template set up with the verbs & delay along with some 2-bus processing (disabled until needed). I like using the groups also, especially on large projects. Another option that I used in Ardour was to create stereo busses and route groups of tracks to them. Sorta like you would see Kevin Ward do in PT. I had a template set up in Ardour in which I attempted to mirror what I saw in Mixbus, only I didn't have all the nice channel strips that Mixbus provided, but it still worked fine.
Thanks,

Dave
good template Tassy, i will have to get into templates as soon as possible, hehe!!!
(12-20-2013, 01:38 AM)ignaceland Wrote: good template Tassy, i will have to get into templates as soon as possible, hehe!!!
If you spend a week and still have not found how to save, modify and where to find your template I may be of help. haha...
Hmmmmm. I thought the idea was to bus instruments so you get the tape saturation?

Thanks for starting this post.....it's making me think....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Hudson
check out my music @
http://capitalcband.bandcamp.com - my band
http://ianhudson.bandcamp.com - just me
(12-20-2013, 09:02 PM)Suds Wrote: Hmmmmm. I thought the idea was to bus instruments so you get the tape saturation?

Interesting idea..the uad tape machines are still an asset Wink...off load processing on group busses...a limitation bypass at least until multi processor support, and in the Immortal words of Buzz Lightyear, 'And Beyond' lol
(12-20-2013, 09:02 PM)Suds Wrote: Hmmmmm. I thought the idea was to bus instruments so you get the tape saturation?

Hi Suds
Sure you are right on the idea of bussing instruments. That it is made for.
I tried also the other template where the 1-6 effects are on added buses and I group instruments to the mixbuses, but for the time being (mute/solo problems on added bus) and one click routing to mixbuses I have found it much more simpler faster as my present workflow. I compared the two ways on some projects and even like this Mixbus provides great sound and still have 2 free mixbuses to send instruments that would need more saturation.
Usually I had this setup:

1) Drums
2) Drums Parallel Compression
3) All Guitars
4) Keys
5) Lead Vocals
6) Background Vocals
7) Delay
8) Reverb
Quote:“A mix is never finished, you just have to abandon it!”
George Massenburg

Santo Clemenzi
www.santoclemenzi.com
My typical setup:

1: drums
2: bass
3: all guitars
4: synths and others
5: main vocals
6: backing vocals
7: delay
8: global reverb

I dedicate one mixbus for the bass as I often have a sub bass track; grouping them together makes it easier for me to sculpt the bottom end as a whole.

Having all the guitars and synths grouped together lets me apply a low shelf filter to make space for the bass, all in one go. Not needed all the time, but handy nonetheless.

I seldom use parallel compression, but if I do then I'd usually have the drums on busses 1 and 2, with the bass and guitars on 3.