Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
feed signal into sidechain 3rd party plugin
Hi,

Is this possible to do from a source in a channel, into the sidechain input of my Hornet Autogain pro or any given compressor that has a sidechain input, and not use a mixbus for it?
I'd love to write automation to even out performances, this way I could let the plugin write the lions share of the automation and manually do the rest.
I read the manual and the part about sidechain feeds into 3rd party plugins was very vague, referring to a routing matrix... but I can't get my head around doing such thing in this matrix.
Does anyone know how to do this, or is it impossible?

Benny.
In such a matrix you have your outputs as one axis and all possible inputs as the other axis. It's like a diagram. Where the horizontal amd vertical lines cross there will be the connection. Hm that sounds confusing, too. Maybe someone can make a screenshot of the routing matrix and give an example on a connection, I'm now putting my tablet away and get some sleep Smile
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(11-11-2015, 08:23 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: In such a matrix you have your outputs as one axis and all possible inputs as the other axis. It's like a diagram. Where the horizontal amd vertical lines cross there will be the connection. Hm that sounds confusing, too. Maybe someone can make a screenshot of the routing matrix and give an example on a connection, I'm now putting my tablet away and get some sleep Smile

Hi MMM,

I understand the concept of the matrix, but I wonder where the sidechain input would be, and if I could route it to a plugin in a channel instead of from a channel to the compressor of a mixbus.

Benny
The trick is to create a new audio port on the track that has the compressor. Click on the input button near the very top and there should be an Add Port option. This will create a third (assuming a stereo track) input port. If your compressor is wired to use the third port as the SC input, then all you need to do is send that port the SC signal from wherever it is. You can do this via an external send plugin, or from the output of the track, in either case using the routing grid.

I've done this with the ReaComp compressor, which has options for how to use the extra ports for side-chaining.

As far as I can tell, the Mixbus SC ports are not available as either inputs or outputs in the routing grids.
Question 
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, but I can't even get a signal into the sidechain of an external sidechain- equiped compressor.
I tried every posibillity in the routinggrid, I even tried to add several extra outputs of the sourcetrack into the plugin containing track.
I have absolutely no clue what I do wrong.
Maybe Harrison or somebody feels free to upload a nice Youtube video on this?
I wish the manual were a lot deeper.

Benny.