Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording at Different Speeds?
Sometimes it's fun to record at different speeds (like on an old tape machine) as an effect. Is this possible with Mixbus? I tried using the shuttle, but that didn't seem suited and I couldn't engage record while using it anyway. I suppose it's possible with a pitch shifter plugin anyway, but was hoping for something simpler.
The only (and actually the best-quality) way is to change the clock on your soundcard. For example, if you open a session at 48k, but then convince your soundcard to run at 24k, you'll be recording at half-speed. Some cards can do this easily ( I think the older RME cards could do this ). And some cards can be fed from an external clock so they think they are running at 48k (or whatever) but the external clock is driving them at a different rate.

For Mixbus to record at half-speed, we would have to resample all the inputs and outputs; it's not impossible but it requires quite a lot of cpu horsepower.

-Ben
I believe you can adjust the playback speed in reaper. Never played with it. So I don't know if it actually varies the pitch. But I have seen it.
(10-23-2015, 11:11 AM)joshs Wrote: Sometimes it's fun to record at different speeds (like on an old tape machine) as an effect. Is this possible with Mixbus? I tried using the shuttle, but that didn't seem suited and I couldn't engage record while using it anyway. I suppose it's possible with a pitch shifter plugin anyway, but was hoping for something simpler.

Ummm there's probably no direct way. But you could play with "Play it slowly" and record the result.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/play-it-slowly...pitch.html

Cheers,
MMM
(10-23-2015, 11:11 AM)joshs Wrote: Sometimes it's fun to record at different speeds (like on an old tape machine) as an effect. Is this possible with Mixbus? I tried using the shuttle, but that didn't seem suited and I couldn't engage record while using it anyway. I suppose it's possible with a pitch shifter plugin anyway, but was hoping for something simpler.
I use shuttle to set my speed warp, then bus out analog from Mix3us into another DAW and re-record the warped audio, then re-import to my session.
This technique has been great on Sound Effects and I can get a speed warp with less artifacts than pretty much every pitch/warp plug in I have found.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5