Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard Drive help
(10-10-2015, 02:50 PM)deefedor Wrote: Thanks for validating my theory re. 2.5" laptop drives. I may begin a mass migration to them and keep the larger/older drives as spares, externals, etc. I've not been disappointed in the performance of the 5400 RPM one I have. Experimented with a rather high track-count project on one and never had a playback problem.

All the new Dell 1RU servers now come equipped with 2.5" SAS/SATA bays. They are actually putting 7 drives in a 1RU unit!

Here are a few of the 5.25" 4 drive bays you may want to check out:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=4222

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/...CatId=2784

The bottom one is the one I just purchased. It should be here by Monday hopefully. Presently all four of my 2.5" drives are mounted with velcro inside a 3RU case. lol
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Thanks for the correction Deefedor (So accustomed with everything in metric).
Ok, between the 2.5''SSD's and the SATA bays, things are getting exciting.
With regards to the 5400rpm ssd drives, how do they compare with a 7200rpm or even a 10,000 rpm SATA.
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
(10-09-2015, 06:35 PM)Lexridge Wrote: I just purchased a drive cage, the size of a CD/DVD ROM drive and fits nicely in your CDROM slot and holds 4 hot swappable 2.5" drives. VERY SWEET and very inexpensive too.

Hah! I was just thinking of shrinking my whole computer operation (putting my computer business to sleep), getting rid of the whole rack in favour of something slim AND silent however with some capacity... This looks like what I need for that Smile
Thanks mate.

MMM
(10-11-2015, 05:44 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Hah! I was just thinking of shrinking my whole computer operation (putting my computer business to sleep), getting rid of the whole rack in favour of something slim AND silent however with some capacity...

Maybe around 4 years ago I bought myself a Mac Mini - then configured it to dual-boot with Windows 7. So I've now got a pretty fast Mac and PC - both in the most unbelievably quiet box! Apart from a few birds outside my window I literally hear no sound at all whether my computer's switched on or off.

The downside of course is that there's no expandability. But if your priority is to find some peace and quiet, you won't go far wrong with a Mac Mini. Cool
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(10-10-2015, 09:23 PM)Jouvert Wrote: Thanks for the correction Deefedor (So accustomed with everything in metric).
Ok, between the 2.5''SSD's and the SATA bays, things are getting exciting.
With regards to the 5400rpm ssd drives, how do they compare with a 7200rpm or even a 10,000 rpm SATA.

As somebody mentioned above, he is getting great performance with a 5400 rpm drive. 10K rpms will be a demon as far as access times go, but the price for 10K rpm drives jumps to more then double of that of 7200 RPM drives. I personally would stick with the 7200 because its good performance without the added expense.

The average 7200 rpm 750MB to 1TB drive is around $100. The same drive in 10K RPMs will be close to $300.
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/AMD FX™-8350 Eight-Core Processor 32GB RAM
M-Audio Delta 1010 / Echo AudioFire 12
Mixbus v7.x on Fedora 33 64bit
Well, Thanks to everyone. I am looking at the samsung evo ssd, which also has an option to purchase a hard drive bracket with it and it's at a great price.
Thanks again to all,
Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
Samsung is a good choice for SSD, was recommended to me by a PC guru friend and have been using it ever since.
True that's what i'm using but the Pro version has better writing and reading speed.
Basically any SSD on the market currently will blitz a 10k rpm SATA..

I was an early adopter and had a very early Intel 40GB (OS) and OCZ Vector SSD 60GB (recording) in earlier builds.
I have updated a while back and have an Intel SSD 520 - 240 GB as my OS drive and a Corsair 120 GB drive as my recording drive. At the time, I bought the drive with the best IOPS for the system drive and best sequential write for the recording drive.. I have not had a problem with either of these drives.

I have also used Kingston and San Disk drives in other systems around the house (wife'ss desktop and media pc).. I even have a cheap Crucial in my work laptop.... and it is faster than the Intel 520.. (the 520 was the best available drive when I bought it, the Crucial was the cheapest when I bought it 2 years later.. gives you an idea of progress)

However, if I were buying today, I would look for the drive with the best performance consistency combined with speeds in heavy workloads , this is important with long multitrack recording sessions.. If you are a heavy user, then this is even more important.. Anandtech do great reviews and cover all the performance points, if I was buying today my choices would be;

SATA (in order of preference based on balance of performance indicators and value for money)
a) SAN DISK Extreme Pro or
b) Samsung Pro
c) Intel DC series.

NVME m.2 if your machine supports it
a) either the Samsung SM 951 NVME or the intel 750 would be fine (if you have the cash.. )

AHCI m.2
a) kingston HyperX predator.

That being said as I have mentioned SSD's will blitz any mechanical drive and have come a very long way in the last 2-3 years and you will be happy with anything you buy...
Allan  Klinbail 

Steam Mastering - www.steam-mastering.com