Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Monitor MIDI Input and Track Audio Simultaneously
On the mixer channels, I see that you use the 'Disk' button to monitor a tracks already-recorded material, and the 'In' button to monitor incoming MIDI (e.g., using a MIDI keyboard to record to a VST). But-- when I have the 'In' button depressed, I can't hear what's already been recorded on the track. How do I monitor the track's material and 'live' MIDI input at the same time?

Thanks!
Bryan
It is currently impossible to hear the track's playback and 'live' MIDI at the same time. MIDI tracks operate just like audio tracks.

However I understand that for certain tasks ( like drum programming ) it can be highly desirable to hear the track while you "overdub" on it. So we might change this operation in the future.

A quick workaround is to record to a scratch track and drag the regions down to the main track when you get a good take. This requires 2 instances of the plugin instrument, though.
(08-25-2015, 04:42 PM)Support@Harrison Wrote: It is currently impossible to hear the track's playback and 'live' MIDI at the same time. MIDI tracks operate just like audio tracks.

However I understand that for certain tasks ( like drum programming ) it can be highly desirable to hear the track while you "overdub" on it. So we might change this operation in the future.

A quick workaround is to record to a scratch track and drag the regions down to the main track when you get a good take. This requires 2 instances of the plugin instrument, though.

Not just for 'certain tasks'-- for ALL tasks! So if I have a synth line I've recorded, and I want to 'overdub' some new notes (live) into the region, I can't do that, since I won't be able to hear the region as I'm 'playing into it'...