Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Solved] Rare but extreme DSP spikes during playback
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, with Steinberg UR22 audio interface, buffer size set to 198. The system is optimized for audio in all imaginable ways - no unnecessary background services, etc.

MB3 works fine except that during playback there are infrequent but extreme DSP spikes. The DSP percentage goes from 40% to 120% for about a second. Playback does not stop but stutters and there is some nasty loud "tick tick" noise, then it is back to normal. The spikes occur about every minute, at least once in a song. Confused This problem doesn't occur in other DAWs, neither in Reaper nor in Sonar, and all latency monitoring tools I've used so far have reported no problems and no spikes.

My questions:

1.) How can I diagnose the source of this problem?

2.) Is there some tool that allows me to see what happens during a spike? Something to record process activity, for instance?

Normal latency monitors show nothing unusual so I'm at a loss.

Good news: Problem solved.

Solution: Turn off the regular session backup.

The fact that the problem occurred only during playback but not during recording made me suspicious. It's caused by saving data to the same partition as the one used for playback and seems to be a particular misfeature of my hard disk/motherboard combination.
I'm unfamiliar with the term "regular session backup".

Is that a Windows or Mixbuss function/setting?
My Studio Specs

I track, edit and manage tracks in Studio One Pro V6/CbB. I try to always mix in Mixbus32C.

β€œIt did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.”
― David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
Sorry I wasn't precise. It's a Mixbus setting called "Make periodic backups of the session file" in the preferences dialog.