Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Mixbus, experiencing a lot of instability.
Hello guys,

This is my first post here, so, hi everyone.

Well, I'm new to Mixbus 3. I've bought it just yesterday.

I've been trying to test it since then, but I'm becoming very frustrated, mostly because it's crashing all the time, literally.

Try to change the ASIO configuration? It crashes. Try to add a virtual instrument? It crashes. Click practically anywhere on the menu? It crashes. Remove a track? Crash.

Most of the time it freezes and stops responding even before opening a session, right in the audio/midi setup screen. If have three instances of this screen frozen right now in front of me, and I can't get them to terminate even via task manager's forced quit command.

So, with all due respect, Mixbus 3 is unusable in my setup right now, and I've got a fairly new and solid PC. To sum up, it's behaving like an Alpha software, not even Beta. I'm running Windows 8, by the way.

But I'm sure the guys from Harrison are already addressing these extreme instability issues, since apparently I'm not the only one experiencing them.

Anyway, I've got a few things I need your help with, if possible.

1-Is there any specific recommended video or tutorial to get me started with Mixbus/Ardour Workflow? I'm mostly on Studio One, which is a very intuitive DAW, so I'm having a bit of a hard time.

2- How do I change the menu's language? Since I'm Brazilian, I believe it's auto-detected my idiom somehow and now the menu is a mess of Portuguese and English words. I guess the Portuguese translation isn't complete, so it's all mixed up right now. How can I configure it to English only?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance. I hope to become an active part of this community from now on.

My best regards,

Morgan.
Hi Rmorgan and welcome to the great forum of a great DAW.
With regards to your problem, check out my thread: Why I think mixbus crashes on windows .
See if this helps you

Jouvert
Mixbus/Windows- VST Plugins
(07-18-2015, 06:52 AM)Jouvert Wrote: Hi Rmorgan and welcome to the great forum of a great DAW.
With regards to your problem, check out my thread: Why I think mixbus crashes on windows .
See if this helps you

Jouvert

Hey Jouvert,

Thank you!

Yes, I did read your post and you're right. There seems to be an ASIO sample rate sync issue.

Anyway, I tried your suggested workaround and it works somehow.

However, once I open a session, it's highly unstable.

Being brutally honest, it's being a long time since I last experienced such level of instability in any kind of non-beta music related software.

I've bought Mixbus to bring back the fun into mixing. So far, I only got frustration. I think I'll just stop using it for now until they release a serious bug fixing update.
(07-18-2015, 07:11 AM)RMorgan Wrote: I've bought Mixbus to bring back the fun into mixing. So far, I only got frustration. I think I'll just stop using it for now until they release a serious bug fixing update.

+1

I drop Mixbus currently.
I think that there's a big problem with ASIO drivers and software stability.
I will wait for the next update to see if all the problems faced by users are over (at least the most important ...)
I do not like bought without testing, but now he has no choice no trial version...

Win7 64bit - Eleven rack or Roland Quad Capture.
Thierry - France/Suisse
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eleven rack - M-Audio audiophile 2496 / Hoonteck DSP24 - Tracktion 6 - Mixbus 3 - Mixbus 2.5 - KXStudio
Ok so let's try it again. Tongue
HP Prodesk 400 CoreI5
internal HD (not good Tongue )
chipset audio (for testing only)
ASIO4ALL driver (for testing)
Session from cambridge Mt 19 tracks + a lot of plugins
W10 preview (beta)
so the worst conditions you can have. OS in beta state+a chipset audio+ low cost internal HD + no pro soundcard.
Opened, working fine, no crash.
As already said, people thinks MB3 crashes all time because session needs 2 mn to load. It's a known bug, Ben Loftis said harrison is already working on it. See screenshots. Launch at 16:23, opened at 16h25. It takes too long but it works great even on worst conditions. DSP 19,6% for 19 tracks with a lot of groups/Mixbusses and plugins (includes 3d party) on a chipset audio and ASIO4ALL driver. And at the same time posting here as you can see.

You know what ?
I did better yesterday. As I had big pbs with my laptop (HD is dying because of warm weather) I switched the laptop to Linux. With a dying HD (I can hear a tic every min. I must change it monday), it goes well.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Rmorgan,

I'm really sorry to hear you are having such trouble. We have a wide range of Windows systems here for testing, and we have a LOT of users on Windows. Generally, nobody takes time to write if things are working well, so you might see more negative comments on the forum, than positive.

However I've worked with a lot of our users and I don't think your experience is normal. It certainly doesn't match our experience with our test systems.

That said, Mixbus v3 is only 9 days old, and of course we have some unanticipated issues to resolve.

There's also a natural learning curve when you adopt a new, complicated piece of software. I think you'll find that, after a few hours of use, you don't have the same problems you are experiencing now. New users have a tendency to "click stuff just to see what it does", which a practiced user won't do.

Without naming names, I downloaded "the popular daw mentioned in this thread" and crashed it within 3 clicks when I first tried it (and I can still demonstrate that anytime). But I don't think that's a fair comment on the overall stability of that app. DAWS are complicated apps for artistic people. There are LOTS of ways to interact with a DAW, so you have to take time to train yourself on the DAW's workflow. Of course there's also a responsibilty on the DAW maker to adapt to user's expectations.

We are working on Mixbus v3.1 as we speak, and we'll try to wrangle these issues as quickly as we can.

Best,
-Ben
(07-18-2015, 10:19 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Rmorgan,

I'm really sorry to hear you are having such trouble. We have a wide range of Windows systems here for testing, and we have a LOT of users on Windows. Generally, nobody takes time to write if things are working well, so you might see more negative comments on the forum, than positive.

Hey Ben,

Thanks for your swift reply.

Yes, I completely understand that Mixbus 3 is in its infancy right now, and I'm glad you're already working on solutions.

The funny thing is that my system is very stable but, as you've mentioned, there's a multitude of variables to consider when you're coding for Windows. You can't really predict eventual incompatibilities with practically an infinite number of hardware combinations out there.

That being said, if you want more details about my instability issues, I'll be glad to help. Just tell me what you want me to do, if you want me to run some tests or things like that.

For all that matters, I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett interface right now; I've tested Mixbus with both ASIO4ALL and its native ASIO drivers. Mixbus is behaving very erratically independently of the drivers. I was not exaggerating when I mentioned the frequency of the crashes in the OP.

About the DAW itself, you're right. I'm already feeling more familiar with it. I'm aware that it can take a while until you overcome the initial learning curve bump.

Anyway, how about the language issue I've mentioned in the OP ? Is there any way to fix it?

Regards,

Rafael Morgan.
Hi Rafael, visit Mixbus->Preferences->User Interaction, and you should find a button to enable/disable translations.
(07-18-2015, 10:19 AM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @Rmorgan,

Generally, nobody takes time to write if things are working well, so you might see more negative comments on the forum, than positive.

Best,
-Ben

Hi Ben

Hey Ben, that comment is a bit unfair. Sure, people can be negative, but you must realize that if you wish to put out a product that is marketed as a working product and it has these many problems, that you have to take the backlash on the chin, and not criticize your customers because they are 'negative'....

You know Ben, Mixbus 2 is an excellent product and you have probably heard that often and its true! But come on Ben, stop whinging about those who have a right to feel a little miffed at paying for, and not having a stable product. Your sales blurb does not mention any of these software issues... And don't you think it would be a little more transparent and honest if it did?

As my first post asked, 'Don't you beta test?' It was a fair question considering the poor quality of your product. You should never have released the Windows version with such issues. Ben, I cant even load my old projects into MB3 because (and I have been told this by your devs) of a few odd characters in the file-names? Surely, that should of been beta tested? Even the hyperlinks in your about section don't work, its mostly really poor at the moment.

So, yes Ben, some of us might appear to be a little negative in your eyes, but we all want a working product. And as your product improves, the positive will increase along with the plaudits.

Best,
Dave
The tone, Dave (and others here), the tone makes the music. Many comments here are the written equivalent to kicking someone in the groin without warning. If that's the intention, well, then... If the intention is getting help and helping all the others out there with similar issues it might be helpful to give a detailful error report and a similarly detailed report of which actions lead to the issue.
Starting a post with "don't you beta test?" and keeping after-kicking in later posts helps nobody but your ego. Find a boxing bag to work up your emotions.
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths