Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Safari Documentary- Edited, Sound Designed, Scored, and Mixed in Mixbus
Video 
Hey comrades!

Just wanted to put a posting up to raise some awareness for a really awesome documentary I worked on last year at my studio here in Brooklyn.

This was my first attempt at doing audio-post for a film in a DAW other than Pro Tools. This started from an experiment with ArdourXChange to see how well OMF/AAF files could be imported. That worked flawlessly, and then I started toying with the Mixbus EQ's on dialog and was blown away by how quickly and easily I could get what I was looking for with the simple 3-band EQ (and surprisingly tape saturation as well!)

I know Mixbus is nowhere near the convenience of working on an MPC5, or even just doing a mix in Pro Tools (lots of workarounds to make this thing come together in Mixbus), but the SOUND is just right. With some work, I believe Mixbus could be a post-production powerhouse DAW. Harrison is starting to introduce XTools plugins for Mixbus now, which I believe is a huge step in the right direction. I can't wait until all of the plugins get ported over! I have a laundry list of personal feature requests that would make my job much easier working with Mixbus for post, hopefully more of those will become a reality soon.

Despite those shortcomings, working on a feature-length film in Mixbus was still a real treat. Let's do more of that!

The Last Safari documents three parallel stories - The personal journey of Liz Gilbert as she sets out to discover what is left of traditional Africa; the young African crew members who accompany her, most of whom have never been outside Kenya's capital city of Nairobi; and the individual stories of some of the tribal people Gilbert photographed as they reflect on how they see themselves and the rapidly changing world around them.

It is a really powerful documentary, and hopefully it'll be widely distributed soon for you all to see.

The forums, unfortunately, won't let me post clickable links. If you are interested, talk to Google. I bet they can find it for you. You'll find a trailer as well as fantastic reviews and interviews in Vanity Fair, The Huffington Post, The Hamptons Film Festival, and lots of others.
Owner/Engineer at Dungeon Beach Brooklyn
http://www.dungeonbeach.com
Recording/Mixing/Mastering/Post-Production/Acoustic Design/Destruction
(11-15-2013, 11:43 AM)analogexplosions Wrote: Hey comrades!

Just wanted to put a posting up to raise some awareness for a really awesome documentary I worked on last year at my studio here in Brooklyn.

This was my first attempt at doing audio-post for a film in a DAW other than Pro Tools. This started from an experiment with ArdourXChange to see how well OMF/AAF files could be imported. That worked flawlessly, and then I started toying with the Mixbus EQ's on dialog and was blown away by how quickly and easily I could get what I was looking for with the simple 3-band EQ (and surprisingly tape saturation as well!)

I know Mixbus is nowhere near the convenience of working on an MPC5, or even just doing a mix in Pro Tools (lots of workarounds to make this thing come together in Mixbus), but the SOUND is just right. With some work, I believe Mixbus could be a post-production powerhouse DAW. Harrison is starting to introduce XTools plugins for Mixbus now, which I believe is a huge step in the right direction. I can't wait until all of the plugins get ported over! I have a laundry list of personal feature requests that would make my job much easier working with Mixbus for post, hopefully more of those will become a reality soon.

Despite those shortcomings, working on a feature-length film in Mixbus was still a real treat. Let's do more of that!

The Last Safari documents three parallel stories - The personal journey of Liz Gilbert as she sets out to discover what is left of traditional Africa; the young African crew members who accompany her, most of whom have never been outside Kenya's capital city of Nairobi; and the individual stories of some of the tribal people Gilbert photographed as they reflect on how they see themselves and the rapidly changing world around them.

It is a really powerful documentary, and hopefully it'll be widely distributed soon for you all to see.

The forums, unfortunately, won't let me post clickable links. If you are interested, talk to Google. I bet they can find it for you. You'll find a trailer as well as fantastic reviews and interviews in Vanity Fair, The Huffington Post, The Hamptons Film Festival, and lots of others.

Thank you for posting your story! We disabled links on the forum unless a user has more than 3 posts to combat spam (which has run rampant on other boards similar to ours).

I made a modification to the setting. Try editing your post and see if you can link the community up to your documentary Smile
Hey man that's awesome. Glad you shared this
Use my referral link and get 20GB free cloud storage at copy.com!
https://copy.com?r=2CbEo6

Blog & More Music Here www.intalik.co