Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugins not remembered
Hi Forum!

I've been a Mixbus user from the first version, and have ALWAYS encountered the same issue:   plugins have to be constantly rescanned.  I am a regular user of Cubase, Nuendo, Dorico, in their latest versions, and NEVER encounter this problem.

I open a session in Mixbus 10, rescan the plugins, and all the favourites appear in the right place.  I re-open the session the next day .... plugins are not remembered, have to be rescanned.  And on Mixbus, this takes a LONG LONG time, even though my plugin list is not so extensive.

I am on a Mac silicon system (running Ventura).  Is it possible that a routine clean-up process on my Mac is clearing the plugin cache?  Can someone please tell me where the cache can be found on a Mac, and whether there is some way of protecting it?

I LOVE Mixbus and would love to move on from this recurring problem.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.
Post production audio and music production

Mixbus (latest version)
Nuendo, Cubase and Dorico (latest versions)
M1 Mac with Ventura
lots of coffee
I've never had that problem, same specs.
What kind of clean-up process? Something you created or implemented?

By the way, "...latest Mac OS" is not Ventura...
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
Hi,

I have the same problem on Linux, but in my case the reason is that I have soft-linked ~/.cache to a ramfs directory in order to not collect so much mostly unneeded cache data over time.

You may find the location where Mixbus stores your data in the scan_log file, in my case located under ~/.config/mixbus9/plugin_metadata (this might be a good place for a persistent cache, too?).

If you look for "cache" in the "scan_log" file, you may find something like:
<PluginScanLogEntry type="LXVST" path="/usr/local/lib/vst/32C-VIP.so" scan-log="[Info]: Scanning: /usr/local/lib/vst/32C-VIP.so
[Info]: Found Plugin: 'PIVH' 32C Vocal Intensity Processor
[Info]: Saved VST2 plugin cache to ~/.cache/mixbus9/vst/5795717f6182c5ca421d61e5cfd72cc0f9ace43a-x64.v2i
" scan-result="1"/>
MBP M1 pro 16 Go - OSX Monterey 12.6.3
This also happens randomly at least since Mixbus 8 for me. This seems random, like you describe it, and repeated scannings can bring different results.
(04-29-2024, 07:52 AM)GlobalHiccup Wrote: Is it possible that a routine clean-up process on my Mac is clearing the plugin cache? 

Are you using some form of Mac Cleaner ?

My advice (and that of many others) would be don't - they just mess things up.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
I have had the same issue in Linux occasionally. Fired up a session I hadn't worked on for a while in MB 32C v.9 the other day and some plugins weren't detected. Ran plugin scan and restarted MB and all was good again.
Never really thought about it much as it's easy to remedy.
So it's not exclusively a Mac thing.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(04-29-2024, 08:53 PM)Dingo Wrote:
(04-29-2024, 07:52 AM)GlobalHiccup Wrote: Is it possible that a routine clean-up process on my Mac is clearing the plugin cache? 

As far as I'm concerned, I don't...
I should add that some VST3 plugins that were validated in 9.2.176 and weren't updated since (if my memory's ok) don't pass it anymore (lindell 7x, Denise slappy, etc).
(04-29-2024, 02:54 PM)axh Wrote: Hi,

I have the same problem on Linux, but in my case the reason is that I have soft-linked ~/.cache to a ramfs directory in order to not collect so much mostly unneeded cache data over time.

You may find the location where Mixbus stores your data in the scan_log file, in my case located under ~/.config/mixbus9/plugin_metadata (this might be a good place for a persistent cache, too?).

If you look for "cache" in the "scan_log" file, you may find something like:
<PluginScanLogEntry type="LXVST" path="/usr/local/lib/vst/32C-VIP.so" scan-log="[Info]: Scanning: /usr/local/lib/vst/32C-VIP.so
[Info]: Found Plugin: 'PIVH' 32C Vocal Intensity Processor
[Info]: Saved VST2 plugin cache to ~/.cache/mixbus9/vst/5795717f6182c5ca421d61e5cfd72cc0f9ace43a-x64.v2i
" scan-result="1"/>

Thanks axh, I will look into that!  Appreciated.

Mixbus (latest version)
M1 Mac with Ventura
lots of coffee
(04-29-2024, 08:53 PM)Dingo Wrote:

I've been using a program called Buho Cleaner.  Maybe this is the culprit - thank you Dingo!

Mixbus (latest version)
M1 Mac with Ventura
lots of coffee