Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crop a song from live recording
How can I crop a song - from a long live recording - including all data / automation / bite volume etc ?
If I select 'all in region' from a range marker,
crop and consolidate is greyed out
?
Thanks for help

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
http://www.redmountain.ch/X32CoreFOHandBandclient.jpg
did you try setting your start end markers (or make a region) and use stem export and afterwards reimport those files?
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Stem export will print automation etc, correct ?
I want to keep automation etc editable...
edit:
just deleted unwanted audio
and save as
maybe I'll have to clean afterwards...
edit2:
It would be great if MB would save everything in the virtual project like
consolidated / merged -audio / automation / fades / bite volumes that are present
and visible
but not save 'as' all that is not cleaned up...
> time and disk space saver
;-)
Best
Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
Folks,
somebody help me please step by step creating a project from a ling live recording for only 1 song in a current edired state with virtual automation / fades etc that is not printed to disk yet...
- edited / deleted regions from all other songs
- saved as
- cleaned regions, sources, flushed waste bin and still the project is
73GB ( original 75 GB )
???

TIA
Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
Hm, if your source files are that big there will be no possibility in a non destructive DAW (as most of them are).. but I probably don‘t get exactly your problem, so I can‘t really help you, sorry but I hope someone else can help you.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(04-26-2024, 11:59 AM)Klaus Wrote: Folks,
somebody help me please step by step creating a project from a ling live recording for only 1 song in a current edired state with virtual automation / fades etc that is not printed to disk yet...
- edited / deleted regions from all other songs
- saved as
- cleaned regions, sources, flushed waste bin and still the project is
73GB ( original 75 GB )
???

TIA
Klaus

You can make a snapshot of the session then edit out what you don't need.  So you can have one snapshot that inlcudes the full live show then separate snapshots that only shows one song.  Each snapshot is independent of each other.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
I only need the data for 1 song out of about 10 or so from different bands...
Want to keep that project mobile...and small
Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13
I haven't done that for a while but IIRC, it's easiest to do before any editing. Export stems of the required time range then import to a new session.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

(04-26-2024, 03:22 PM)Klaus Wrote: I only need the data for 1 song out of about 10 or so from different bands...
Want to keep that project mobile...and small
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

It has been a very long time since I tried this (Caveat Emptor*) but there is a way to do what you want, but it does require a disciplined approach.
  • Start by copying your entire project to another drive as a safety
  • Set Start and End markers for the range you want to keep
  • Seperate and remove tops and tails
  • Rename every track with a new naming code - it can be a 1.(old name) 2.(old Name) etc
  • Select all the regions within your Start End boundaries
  • From the menu list Regions / Bounce (without processing)
  • Do not check any of the options in Bounce... they will all appear in the Source list.
  • Delete all the regions on your timeline.
  • From the Source list drag the 1.(old name) 2.(old Name) etc onto their respective tracks.
  • The Bounced regions have new names that appear in the Captured For column

• Note that existing automation will stay on the tracks even if the region is deleted.

• Now time to cleanup...
  • Session / Cleanup / Remove all unwanted regions (this will clear the unwanted tops and tails)
  • Session / Cleanup / Remove all unwanted Sources (this will move the longform audio out of your interchange folder into the dead folder)
  • Save and Close the session, re-open then Session / Cleanup / Flush Wastebasket (this will delete all unused audio from the dead folder)

You should now have a fully cut down session with only the bounced material and your automation should be in tact.

* I would agree with @sunrat the way best to handle long form cut downs is to export the wanted regions / ranges  and re-import to a new session before doing anything else.

@ben - it would be great if Bounce had a 'bounce and replace' option.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Tank you all !
I think I found the culprit...
'Set Start and End markers for the range you want to keep'
> was set to the whole live recording
I selected regions by song markers...

I'll giv it another try...

edit:
I re-read the last v9 manual, and don't understand,
- which operation(s) do just create a new ( merged) audio file and nothing else,
no region volume or the like included...

Maybe MB could do it like
- create needed regions
- select unneeded regions
- remove unneeded regions ( not delete )
- save as new project
- undo till the step before

TADA
done like Digital Performer

Best

Klaus
Macmini core2duo / i7
OS 10.10-10.13