Hi All
I now have no sound on my PC.

Jack master is the correct usb device: SSL 2
Jack says is bridging to Pulse audio out
Carla showing pulse in and out,
The SSL 2 is the default sound card.

I did have plasma as my desktop for last 3 years
This failed a few months ago and I ended up with two desktops:

Plasma ( which fails to load complaining it needs a restart,  then doesn't Just a cursor on a black screen
Also KDE5 fails to start and hitting restart the apps fails)

I also have  ubuntu and ubuntu wayland which seems to be the same desktop.

Gnome did work up until last night. never been this stuck before on a studio machine.

Any advice before I have to reinstall  the OS ( looking at AV Linux at mo as studio seems to be getting a bit flaky)
Cheers All
Linux for years!
Ubuntu studio 24.04 LTS  Mixbus 32C  V9
Dell Precision  T3600  8 core 64gb ram.
(04-16-2024, 11:54 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All

Hi wavesound

What do you see if you open the 'Window' menu in Mixbus and then the 'Audio/MIDI setup'?

Try to stop the audio and select 'ALSA' as audio system if it's not selected. I guess you have JACK selected now.  Can you select your SSL 2 as input and output device with ALSA? Do you get sound when starting audio again? If you have sound there's probably a problem with the JACK/Pulsaudio setup.

I've skipped JACK(and pulsaudio) years ago and use ALSA direct from Mixbus and my digital mixer as input/output device. You loose the possibility to play audio from other apps when Mixbus is active and I guess Carla will not be any good either. I can live with that and this setup are simple and easy.

Steinar

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(04-16-2024, 01:55 PM)Sthauge Wrote:
(04-16-2024, 11:54 AM)wavesound Wrote: Hi All

Hi wavesound

What do you see if you open the 'Window' menu in Mixbus and then the 'Audio/MIDI setup'?

Try to stop the audio and select 'ALSA' as audio system if it's not selected. I guess you have JACK selected now.  Can you select your SSL 2 as input and output device with ALSA? Do you get sound when starting audio again? If you have sound there's probably a problem with the JACK/Pulsaudio setup.

I've skipped JACK(and pulsaudio) years ago and use ALSA direct from Mixbus and my digital mixer as input/output device. You loose the possibility to play audio from other apps when Mixbus is active and I guess Carla will not be any good either. I can live with that and this setup are simple and easy.

Steinar
Hi Thanks for the help
I use jack and always have done was all fine for the last few months but now losing sound from the desktop both plasma and Gnome.
I now have a single tone form the SSL2 when plugged in constantly.  
Think I need to reinstall OS and may try AVLinux this time.
Ubuntu studio seems to be a bit unstable of late.

Mixbus is fine with the SSL so far this is a desktop issue with the OS.
Cheers Bob
Linux for years!
@Wavesound -

Just a work of caution... The latest release of AVLinux (AVL-MXE 23.1 (updated to "20230120")) has incorporated a new desktop which takes a while to get use to.
I HIGHLY recommend watching the video that Glenn provided over on his Bandshed website. It explains A LOT. [ https://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ ]
Also, to install Mixbus I used the Terminal Window, not the GUI as a fresh install of AVL could not find the app to install Mixbus.
Once installed, however, it all seems to run fine.

Cheers!
Patrick

CRAP! I just spent a couple minutes over on the AVL-MXe website and see that Glen has released a newer version - 23.2 - 20240405 !!!!!!
Oh well...
(04-16-2024, 06:27 PM)PBuryk Wrote: @Wavesound -

Just a work of caution... The latest release of AVLinux (AVL-MXE 23.1 (updated to "20230120")) has incorporated a new desktop which takes a while to get use to.
I HIGHLY recommend watching the video that Glenn provided over on his Bandshed website. It explains A LOT. [ https://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ ]
Also, to install Mixbus I used the Terminal Window, not the GUI as a fresh install of AVL could not find the app to install Mixbus.
Once installed, however, it all seems to run fine.

Cheers!
Patrick

CRAP! I just spent a couple minutes over on the AVL-MXe website and see that Glen has released a newer version - 23.2 - 20240405 !!!!!!
Oh well...

I second that. However, I like it, as an old Windowmaker user back when. Considering Enlightenment at the next change and maybe in general for office and development as well. Bit bored with XFCE after 15 years Smile
But hey, just try the live version from USB stick until you're sure.

MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
Howdy, MMM -

I spent a bit of time over on the AVL-MXE site ("Bandshed"), the MX Linux Forum and Linux Musicians Forum.
From what I read there, AVL 23.2 (20240405) is currently available (I downloaded it) and there is an expectation of 23.3 "soon".
There were lots of suggestions for new features as well as more Desktops to try instead of Enlightenment.
I (still) have 23.1 (20240120) on my computer and may try out 23.2 as I have not yet pronounced my machine to be "Production Worthy" yet.
I'll probably flounder around for a couple weeks with it - the only thing I have installed of note is Mixbus
and some NAS Shares/Backups... and then install 23.3, if it is released by then. That should keep me satisfied for a couple years.

Cheers!
Patrick
(04-16-2024, 09:31 PM)PBuryk Wrote: Howdy, MMM -
and some NAS Shares/Backups... and then install 23.3, if it is released by then. Tat should keep me satisfied for a couple years.

Cheers!
Patrick

Howdy Pat,

thanks for the heads up.
I'll be doing more with all the Hardware synths I acquired and with VCV Rack, so I'm not heavily relying on a certain setup. And I have  day job Cool  - which gives me some freedom to experiment.

Servus!
MMM
Linux throughout!

Ok Apologies to SSL as noise was a lead into monitors!!!!
Worked for years but just made noise of late!!!
Sound was working fine on youtube but has now stopped, carla and jack seem happy.

Just got this from Mixbus testing a new session:
cannot create new session : Permission Denied
Also old session thinks its playing sound to ssl 1 and 2 but no sound.

So to recap:
Sorted noise out but no sound in chrome or anything else.
Not sure how I got 3 desktops though.
I did get the black screen and just cursor thing and reinstalled  Ubuntu desktop.

Wondering is something is capturing the sound card.
jack is showing output in the mixer from youtube so it's happy but no sound.
Reboot ssl2 and get sound for about ten mins then cuts out Pulse is showing output as normal
this is strange!!!
I Have to turn of ssl2 and then restart jack, then it works for a bit.
Any Ideas?

Cheers All
Linux for years!
(04-17-2024, 02:25 PM)wavesound Wrote: Wondering is something is capturing the sound card.
jack is showing output in the mixer from youtube so it's happy but no sound.
Reboot ssl2 and get sound for about ten mins then cuts out Pulse is showing output as normal
this is strange!!!
I Have to turn of ssl2 and then restart jack, then it works for a bit.
Any Ideas?

I would disconnect everything audio (ssl), stop Jack and reboot. Then I would try to get something from the onboard sound. Check the pulseaudio devices in "Audiomixer". Start with an ALSA-only app, like your web browser. Does it work?
I it works, there are two options from here:
Start Jack and see if the pa-jack bridge works.
or
Start Ardour or Mixbus and set it to ALSA and see if that works (close browser first).

There you have a clue where the error lays. If it's not working with onboard sound, look into your system.
If it's working with onboard but not with any of the SSLs, check there.
Maybe if SSLs are not working try with a known working USB interface.
Or try the SSL on a known working computer.

Be systematic.

HTH
MMM
Linux throughout!

(04-18-2024, 03:29 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Be systematic.

+10K
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5