Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record input seems to be recording from Mixbus input AND Hardware input.
No matter what I do to the input channel (turn master off, all mixbusses off, trim down, fader to zero, no plugins, etc) I STILL get full volume coming from somewhere - I suspect it's directly from the hardware input, which in this case, is the SSL 12.

WHY??? This is infuriating. I should be recording NOTHING, with everything off on the Mixbus32C input channel.  Everything else is muted, and in fact, I deleted all other channels just to be sure nothing else was somehow feeding the recording input.
32C which Version? Full volume of what? What is in the SSL 12 input? What is the MB audio engine, ASIO or SSL in, motherboard ? Master out hadware or what?
What happens when you record your mic from the motherboard mic in, and do not use the usb outboard innterface?

Just a trick: If wou want to use some plugins or bult in compr etc.. for recoeding put the plugins in an additional bus/track and arm it for recording then rout its out to a "record track in".
Some pictures might help
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
(04-14-2024, 11:24 PM)mande95747@yahoo.com Wrote: No matter what I do to the input channel (turn master off, all mixbusses off, trim down, fader to zero, no plugins, etc) I STILL get full volume coming from somewhere - I suspect it's directly from the hardware input, which in this case, is the SSL 12.

WHY??? This is infuriating. I should be recording NOTHING, with everything off on the Mixbus32C input channel.  Everything else is muted, and in fact, I deleted all other channels just to be sure nothing else was somehow feeding the recording input.

Hi mande95747 welcome to the Mixbus Forum...

Not being in front of your computer makes it a bit hard... and I might be barking up the wrong tree....
But from what you are saying I assume that you are getting your microphone (or instrument) going directly to your speakers as well as going into Mixbus ???
That may be why you cannot control the level from Mixbus ?

If this is the case then I would look into your SSL12 audio interface setup.
The SSL12 is controlled via the SSL 360 software application.

It may be that you have setup a monitor path in 360 that was allowing you to monitor direct microphone and DAW return ?
The SSL12 allows for multiple monitor paths including speakers and headphones. I would check that out first.

If you are getting nowhere then email support: mixbus@harrisonconsoles.com

Since the SSL / Harrison get together support now has a lot of SSL people in the loop and I assume your issue falls somewhere between your Harrison setup and SSL setup.

Good luck let us know how you go... also general note to all first posters details like MB version, OS version and Hardwares in your post will help speed up resolutions
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
No setting in the DAW will change your input level. That can only be controlled by the preamp gain on the interface or the volume coming from a line level source.
The Doctor
Getting Surgical with Audio
If you rout the channels as I suggested the first income track/bus can set the input of the recording track by fader, trim, or any gain plugin so the daw can do that if you do it routed and not direct input for the recordding track.
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
But its never level pre AD and that is the important part. If your level clips AD you have no chance to change that in any DAW, just adjusting your preamp gain helps..
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Sometimes I got a similar situation when I load an old recording template. I saved it with all the PFL activated on the Recorder window.
Guess you already check it, but just in case...

By the way, I should fix that template someday...
(04-15-2024, 08:03 AM)Nathan@Harrison Wrote: No setting in the DAW will change your input level.  That can only be controlled by the preamp gain on the interface or the volume coming from a line level source.

Are you saying that when recording, the entire DAW input channel in the mixer section 100% irrelevant?  
So, I can't gate, compress, EQ or anything else BEFORE recording into the input track?  

That would be very strange, and nothing at all like a real analog console, which is what Harrison keeps claiming about Mixbus32C  (version 9, BTW)
(04-14-2024, 11:24 PM)mande95747@yahoo.com Wrote: No matter what I do to the input channel (turn master off, all mixbusses off, trim down, fader to zero, no plugins, etc) I STILL get full volume coming from somewhere - I suspect it's directly from the hardware input, which in this case, is the SSL 12.

Some thoughts that I don't see yet expressed:

It definitely seems that your issue is pre-Mixbus.

1) I suspect that you've got some sort of hardware monitoring configured on your audio interface (SSL)?
Am I correct to presume that you are actually hearing this signal through your speakers? 
If yes, then where do you adjust that volume level? Over on the SSL?
If so then that is your issue and you WON'T be able to adjust it via Mixbus.

2) If you are hearing it headphones, then the same summary as above applies.

3) However, I you are NOT actually HEARING the signal and, instead, seeing its presence via one or more meters when Mixbus is running,
THEN we're agreed that the issue is somewhere in your Mixbus configuration.

Would you please confirm the above?

Thanks and Cheers!
Patrick
(04-16-2024, 07:06 PM)PBuryk Wrote:

Ofr everyone who assumes I'm having some sort of monitoring issue - I am in no way referring to monitoringI'M NOT TALKING ABOUT WHAT I'M HEARING - I'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT'S RECORDING.

It seems like it's bypassing the input channel in Mixbus32C, and recording directly from the SSL 12 INPUT to the TRACK. 
I shut down everything in the Mixbus channel, yet I still end up with the waverform recorded on that track, with full signal anyway. 

Some thoughts that I don't see yet expressed:

It definitely seems that your issue is pre-Mixbus.

1) I suspect that you've got some sort of hardware monitoring configured on your audio interface (SSL)?
Am I correct to presume that you are actually hearing this signal through your speakers? 
If yes, then where do you adjust that volume level? Over on the SSL?
If so then that is your issue and you WON'T be able to adjust it via Mixbus.

2) If you are hearing it headphones, then the same summary as above applies.

3) However, I you are NOT actually HEARING the signal and, instead, seeing its presence via one or more meters when Mixbus is running,
THEN we're agreed that the issue is somewhere in your Mixbus configuration.

Would you please confirm the above?

Thanks and Cheers!
Patrick