Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto snapshot daily
Hi

I always want to do a snapshot when opening an existing session on a new days before I start working. Unfortunately I very often forget to do this. 

Is it an idea to put a checkbox in preferences that enables automatic snapshot when a session is opened and its a new day? Then you get a daily backup of what you have done so far in a existing projects before you start ruin your mix. he, he ;-)

The logic could be something simple as this:
---------------------
If there is an existing session file in the directory and the session file date is smaller than today's date then do
         create auto snapshot
end
open session
--------------------

Date format used to get correct results is  YYYYMMDD

Steinar :-)

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(03-19-2024, 01:01 PM)Sthauge Wrote: Hi

I always want to do a snapshot when opening an existing session on a new days before I start working. Unfortunately I very often forget to do this. 

Is it an idea to put a checkbox in preferences that enables automatic snapshot when a session is opened and its a new day? Then you get a daily backup of what you have done so far in a existing projects before you start ruin your mix. he, he ;-)

The logic could be something simple as this:
---------------------
If there is an existing session file in the directory and the session file date is smaller than today's date then do
         create auto snapshot
end
open session
--------------------

Date format used to get correct results is  YYYYMMDD

Steinar :-)

Hello, Sthauge -

I presume that you would want that snapshot to be labeled with the date it was last used so...
Instead of doing that during the start-up phase, why not do it when you exit that session?

So, new options for Exit:
[v] Take snapshot of session.

Does that work any better?

Cheers!
Patrick
Hi Patrick

Yes, just labeled with date and time stamp, and maybe a genetic name as well so the snapshot differ from other snapshots 

The problem doing a snapshot when you save your session is that there's no way for a program to determine that it's the last time you close that session in that particular day. You can use only the date as the snapshot name so that you only get one file a day, but the DAW have to update the snapshot every time you exit a session until it's a new date.

If you do the snapshot first thing in the morning the next day, the DAW can snapshot once a day.

Steinar ?

Mixbus Pro 10.0, Kubuntu Linux 64 23.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM CPU@2.60GHz, 12 Gb RAM, nvidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, X.org nouveau driver, Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface