Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Win VS. Linux
(03-17-2024, 11:31 AM)ROG Wrote: I have two audio programs which won't run under Linux and don't behave well with Wine, so Windows here is the only option. I take Max's point about the aggressive update policy, but by running off-line you can avoid them - my Win 10 Pro machine hasn't seen an update since I installed it many years ago! What I like about this system is that I can switch seamlessly between the three programs and the machine looks the same every time I boot it up.

Yeah I'm strictly no-wine, I always recommend "if you must run a Windows program, run it under Windows".
Like Dingo, I need to run some iZotope now and then, namely RX. I will also use Arturia synths (have the V collection) or the Spitfire BBC Orchestra - I do this on a Windows machine which is sitting in a corner and which I control via remote desktop. Sound and Midi go smoothly and transparently through Jack, practically the Windows box is the outboard gear for my Linux Mixbus machine.

The best of both worlds, but not necessarily for beginners Smile
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths
(03-18-2024, 06:43 AM)madmaxmiller Wrote: Yeah I'm strictly no-wine, I always recommend "if you must run a Windows program, run it under Windows".
Like Dingo, I need to run some iZotope now and then, namely RX. I will also use Arturia synths (have the V collection) or the Spitfire BBC Orchestra - I do this on a Windows machine which is sitting in a corner and which I control via remote desktop. Sound and Midi go smoothly and transparently through Jack, practically the Windows box is the outboard gear for my Linux Mixbus machine.

The best of both worlds, but not necessarily for beginners Smile
MMM

Or by using:
https://audiogridder.com/
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

(03-18-2024, 06:53 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Or by using:

Is it something you've used Sojuzstudio or just heard about..?

I tried audiogridder when it first came out and it was brilliant - especially at reducing my DSP readings - but it had one HUGE drawback...

It could only animate one plugin at a time. So if you opened 4 plugins and they each had meters, the meters would work fine on one plugin but they'd be frozen for all the others  Sad
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit...
Wisdom is knowing you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad !!
(03-18-2024, 06:59 AM)johne53 Wrote:
(03-18-2024, 06:53 AM)Sojuzstudio Wrote: Or by using:

Is it something you've used Sojuzstudio or just heard about..?

I tried audiogridder when it first came out and it was brilliant - especially at reducing my DSP readings - but it had one HUGE drawback...

It could only animate one plugin at a time. So if you opened 4 plugins and they each had meters, the meters would work fine on one plugin but they'd be frozen for all the others  Sad

I have tested. I have not used in production. That seems to be still in the early stages. Such problems can indeed occur. On the other hand, there hasn't been a real need for it yet. But now I could start using. But I would have to set up one Windows machine for it. If I have more time in the summer...
Small recordingstudio in Finland countryside. Mixbus 10 Pro, AvLinux AVL-MXe 23.2, Rme UFX+, Rme 802, Adam A77X, Genelec 8020c, Genelec 7050b, Yamaha HS7

Woow everyone! what an answer to my question. I have learned a great deal, but I would like to add that I have used Ubuntu commercially as an IT manager for 50 employees back in 2008. A bit of a pioneer for commercial use in Sweden, so should be able to handle it. Anyhow, extremely valuable shares by all of you. Many thanks to you
Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core Icon ProX and a lot of tube gear. Mixbus 10 & protools