Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
microphone suggestion
Can anyone suggest a good mic to record violin?
For my budget.... Røde NT5 or if cash no issue the much pricier DPA 4099
Look around for a microphone rental mob in your area - often worth hiring so you can test before buying if it is a big outlay.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
On a budget - Audio Technica AT2020, but if price is no barrier then there's only one choice for me - Neuman U87.
Thanks Dingo and ROG. Yes, "on a budget" I use the AT2020 and an SM57 for everything.
I recommend "Weissklang" they have 3 very very nice and affordable mics.
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
There are a number of alternatives to the U87. The JZ BH1 (or BH2 with just cardiod pattern), the Warm Audio WA-87, the TLM 103.
That DPA 4099 (violin version) would seem to be the perfect option, and checking it out online is less expensive than I expected.
The main thing is it attaches to the violin so sound would be consistent. Any stand-mounted microphone would be susceptible to slight variations as the artist moves.
Mixbus 32C, Debian Bookworm/KDE, EVE SC205 + ADAM Sub 8 monitors, Soundcraft Compact 4, M-Audio 2496, i5 6500, 16GB RAM, WD Blue SSD 1TB, 48" LG OLED, other stuff.
Work as house engineer at a popular venue in Melbourne AU. On a quest for the holy grail, the perfect amount of cowbell.

In my experience, small diaphragm condenser microphones are in general better than the big and often very expensive ones for violins and many other instruments, especially when they are together with other instruments, they stand out better in the mix. So Dingo's suggestion of NT5 is excellent - all this IMO.

I do have the Røde mics and also NT4s but it's many other cheaper and good-sounding 1/2" condenser mics on the market. One of my favorite mics for for example violins, mandolins, and acoustic guitars (especially classic nylon) are Line Audio Design's CM3 (CM4 is currently the new model), and they cost approx $130 (US) per mic. Despite the low price, they are partially handmade and are not always easy to get a hand on, but a list of resellers (I suspect it's partial) can be found here. But they have a lover output and demand good pre-amps. The Røde mics have higher output.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
in my experience with violin the most important thing is the position of your microfon. Put it in front of the violin and it easily gets a sharp sound, which cuts through the mix. If you want a more pleasant sounding violing move the mic in the back of the violin (although it looks strange).
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
Good resource at DPA microphones with advice on recording a number of instruments - you don't need to buy their mics... but the information is solid from a very respected manufacturer.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5