Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing preferences in git repository
I've been using Mixbus 9 on two computers, a desktop and a laptop. I got tired of trying to wrangle my licences for MB and plugins, so I put the license files in a git repository (actually a yadm dotfiles manager repository). I then added my control surface user profile so my x-touch controls would be the same on both computers. Apart from keeping these prefs synced between multiple computers, it gives me an audit trail for changes.

Does anyone else do this for general preferences? The prefs in MB are so deep that I'm conflicted as to whether to share them between computers with different hardware (monitor size, etc.) But I sure do like the thought of having lots of these preferences synced and being able to revert if I forgot about a change I made.
@mkindred: cool idea!

there's a page in the manual called "power user topics" which explains which settings are stored in which files. Many files will be completely syncable across different computers. But as you mention, the system-specific differences like monitor size and audio/midi/sync connections, might not transfer. In these cases I would not expect a crash but you might have to re-set those preferences for the current system, every time you change.
(02-21-2024, 12:21 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @mkindred:  cool idea!

there's a page in the manual called "power user topics" which explains which settings are stored in which files.  Many files will be completely syncable across different computers.  But as you mention,  the system-specific differences like monitor size and audio/midi/sync connections, might not transfer.  In these cases I would not expect a crash but you might have to re-set those preferences for the current system, every time you change.

Thanks for the info, Ben. I'm not sure it's worth it, but if I decide to do it, I'll review the power user topics.
(02-21-2024, 12:29 PM)mkindred Wrote:
(02-21-2024, 12:21 PM)Ben@Harrison Wrote: @mkindred:  cool idea!

there's a page in the manual called "power user topics" which explains which settings are stored in which files.  Many files will be completely syncable across different computers.  But as you mention,  the system-specific differences like monitor size and audio/midi/sync connections, might not transfer.  In these cases I would not expect a crash but you might have to re-set those preferences for the current system, every time you change.

Thanks for the info, Ben. I'm not sure it's worth it, but if I decide to do it, I'll review the power user topics.

You could use a script to start Mixbus: have the syncable files in your repo and in your script rsync them first with the local versions, then it starts Mixbus.
MMM
Linux throughout!
Main PC: XEON, 64GB DDR4, 1x SATA SSD, 1x NVME, MOTU UltraLite AVB

Mixbus 32C, Hydrogen, Jack... and Behringer synths