Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse vs Control Surface
I'm interested to hear other views on this subject, because I've got this uneasy feeling that I might have missed something. I grew up with large-format consoles, where if I wanted to adjust something I reached out and did it - easy. Now I'm working with Mixbus 32C on a 65in 4k monitor and if I want to do the same thing I reach out with the mouse instead - even easier because I don't have to get out of my chair to lean over the console. I can see all the controls and access anything in about 2 seconds using one hand. To do the same adjustment with pretty much all the control surfaces I've tried, I have to press several buttons first, to locate the bank, the track and the parameter I want to change, before actually doing what I could have done quicker with the mouse. What am I missing here? If you have a control surface you like and hold an opposing view, I'd love to hear your perspective on this. Many thanks.
(01-18-2024, 01:32 PM)ROG Wrote: I'm interested to hear other views on this subject, because I've got this uneasy feeling that I might have missed something. I grew up with large-format consoles, where if I wanted to adjust something I reached out and did it - easy. Now I'm working with Mixbus 32C on a 65in 4k monitor and if I want to do the same thing I reach out with the mouse instead - even easier because I don't have to get out of my chair to lean over the console. I can see all the controls and access anything in about 2 seconds using one hand. To do the same adjustment with pretty much all the control surfaces I've tried, I have to press several buttons first, to locate the bank, the track and the parameter I want to change, before actually doing what I could have done quicker with the mouse. What am I missing here? If you have a control surface you like and hold an opposing view, I'd love to hear your perspective on this. Many thanks.

I use control surfaces as well, I was using X-Touch's, now using Icon V1-M/X's.
I know where you are coming from on the console controls.
Of course the mouse is easier, don't even have to lean forward and touch the control surface.
And getting used to where the gate, compressor, eq, and sends are at, the buttons you have to switch back and forth to have them display on the screen, and translate from the in-line view of the channel, vs. the across the control surface right to left is not the easiest, no.

I would love a channel strip styled control for Mixbus that has all the knobs in the same layout as the channel strip on the screen, along with any button/switches as well, and the LEDs to follow what is showing on the screen.

But what I fine nicer with a control surface:

1. The record arm, select, mute, and solo buttons on the track are way easier to punch things in and out, and especially when going back and forth muting or soloing different tracks to compare which one you like better!

2. It is nicer to be able to work more than one fader at a time with the hands, try turning one track up while turning another down at the same time with a mouse on the screen.

3. The responsiveness is faster on the control surface (meter lights) than on the screen when using a big ole' 4k monitor in Mixbus.

4. The focus feature of the jog wheel... with one hand on the jog wheel, and another on the mouse, I can point the mouse at the knob on the track control, and turn the wheel with the other hand to adjust the setting. Without that feature, you have to click and drag, or use the mouse wheel, but that takes (roll, lift finger, roll again, etc.) The Jog wheel gives a better feel of "turning" a button.

5. As sad as it may be, there is way more "wow factor" in a studio with a lot of buttons and faders. (And automated faders especially!) 
Sure, some is eye candy for the engineer too, I certainly enjoy looking at my "tricked out" desk better than I would just seeing a keyboard and mouse.
The wow factor can help attract prospective clients, and when working with them on their mix, letting them touch the console and adjust things themselves gives them a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, where I would be a lot more hesitant to let them have the mouse.... way more they can mess up that way.
Mixbus 10 Pro 10.0.0
Apple Mac Studio M1 Ventura 13.6.7
PreSonus Quantum 2626
iCON V1-M & 2 Extenders
X-Touch & 2 Extenders
I said it quite often already but here we go:
I'm on Mixbus since version 1.
Many controllers tested. Best buy imho is RuControl. Russel is a nice guy and can do any kind of custom builts:
http://rucoproaudio.com/product-category/hardware/

My personal workflow favorites still are Trackpad, Streamdeck and a one knob thing like Griffin Powermate.
Mac Pro 5,1 | 6x 3,4Ghz | 48GB | OS X 10.14  | Macbook Pro M1 | 16GB | OS X 14.4 | Metric Halo 2882 3d 
http://www.sounddesign-pro.com
I still use a single-channel Presonus Faderport v. 1 (have an unopened v. 2 as a spare) together with the keyboard and that's it. I have total control without dancing too much in front of the video monitor and always maintaining the right distance from my main audio monitors.

One thing I miss is controls for the EQ, but I consider it a minor inconvenience, and I can probably add a Midi Fighter Twister for that.  The form factor is great and I also bring it with me for live recording. There's usually a place for it on the left side of the keyboard wherever I am and the mouse to the right, then I can use both hands on the keyboard whenever I want within a small space. I'm a little surprised that my old Faderport still works after all these years, but this will be the last v. 1, I've run out of them.
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
I use the console 1 system which make it feel very console like.
@Analog4Lyfe
The ability to adjust an EQ band's frequency and gain at the same time is a significant improvement.

Also, for me there's a world of difference between turning a physical knob and doing it with the mouse. I can't explain why because in reality they're the same thing, just different physical actions.

I love DAWs and the very idea of DAWs. They give me way more power than I could hope to afford to buy - and maintain - in a physical console. But using them has always been a detached experience, like I'm trying to control a console with only tweezers, or some kind of biohazard surgery setup where the console is inside a glass cabinet and my only access is a rubber sleeve for my hand/arm (and only one!).

I have a few knobs at my disposal but still only one physical fader and I miss being able to change two faders at once.
I use 2 artist mix and console one in midi mode and its integration with console 1 is fantastic.

I FLY through mixes. I would like to see how uc1 integration would work.
@Analog4Lyfe
a jog/shuttle wheel is really a good help for navigation. Next to the other useful things mentioned before, some controllers have a mouse-wheel emulation for one knob. When the mouse pointer is located over a plugin or mixer parameter, this knob controls it instantly.

I use an SSL UF1. It is very well integrated in Mixbus 32c. I do not plan to add the SSL UF8 yet. The integrated level meter in the UF1 is a clever innovation.
Mixbus32c, Mackie Onyx 1640, Neumann km1, WA 47 jr..MadronaLabs, Samplemodeling, UA, etc., iPad2/4/Pro
(01-25-2024, 03:51 PM)Phil999 Wrote: a jog/shuttle wheel is really a good help for navigation. Next to the other useful things mentioned before, some controllers have a mouse-wheel emulation for one knob. When the mouse pointer is located over a plugin or mixer parameter, this knob controls it instantly.

I use an SSL UF1. It is very well integrated in Mixbus 32c. I do not plan to add the SSL UF8 yet. The integrated level meter in the UF1 is a clever innovation.

Does the uc1 react with the compressor vu ?
@Analog4Lyfe
I have an Audient iD44. The iD knob works well for modifying the parameters. I have a trackball in my right hand, and the iD knob in my left. I just point the mouse at a knob or fader and turn the iD knob. The resolution of the knob isn't quite as fine as I would like but the shift key allows fine control. Rough in is fast, fine tweaks are good, but fader automation could use an "in-between" version.
Tech specs: Windows 11, Asus Prime Z790-A, I7-12700K @ 7.7K; Hyper-threading enabled, G.Skill DDR5-5600 64GB RAM, Integrated GPU, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 1TB SSD, Benq 32" 4K Monitor
Mixbus 32C versions: 9.2