Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Import Bounce Audio to a Track???
I've been bouncing VST MIDI regions using the "bounce without processing" option. It tells me that the audio will show up in my source list, which it does. But I can't drag the audio from the source list onto any audio track.

I could probably search for the audio wherever its stored in the Mixbus directory folder and import it into my session but I'm thinking (hoping) that I shouldn't have to go outside of the UI to import audio that was bounced right within the session just to use it?

So far I haven't been able to figure out how this should work.

So the alternative I've been using is:

Create an audio track
Use the Routing Grid to send the VST audio as an input
Record Enable the track and perform the recording

It works but it is so counter productive b/c I am recording the entire session sometimes just to get the audio.

Logic bounces the VST audio to an audio track.... done.

How to do this in Mixbus???
iMac Pro 27, 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel XEON, 256GB RAM • iMac Pro 27, 3GHz 10-Core XEON, 64GB RAM • Apollo x8p, UAD Satellite Octo • Yamaha XF8 • KORG Oasis • OSX Monterey • OSX Ventura • MixBus 32c • Logic • StudioOne • Cubase
(12-24-2023, 08:32 AM)maestro777 Wrote: I've been bouncing VST MIDI regions using the "bounce without processing" option. It tells me that the audio will show up in my source list, which it does. But I can't drag the audio from the source list onto any audio track.

When you bounce a MIDI sequence, it appears in the Source list as a MIDI sequence. It can be dragged from the list onto a MIDI track, but not audio.

(12-24-2023, 08:32 AM)maestro777 Wrote: I could probably search for the audio wherever its stored in the Mixbus directory folder and import it into my session but I'm thinking (hoping) that I shouldn't have to go outside of the UI to import audio that was bounced right within the session just to use it?

So far I haven't been able to figure out how this should work.

So the alternative I've been using is:

Create an audio track
Use the Routing Grid to send the VST audio as an input
Record Enable the track and perform the recording

It works but it is so counter productive b/c I am recording the entire session sometimes just to get the audio.

Logic bounces the VST audio to an audio track.... done.

How to do this in Mixbus???

Have a look at stem exporting and using the re-import to session option.
Use source selection to define the MIDI track you want to export, then use selection or define loop range to define the export time span.

https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...ting-files
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(12-24-2023, 11:11 PM)Dingo Wrote: When you bounce a MIDI sequence, it appears in the Source list as a MIDI sequence. It can be dragged from the list onto a MIDI track, but not audio.

Thanks for providing the stem export alternative. I'll use that or simply do it in my other DAW. BUT I don't understand the purpose of bouncing MIDI if it's only going to give me a MIDI sequence instead of the audio Huh

And if it can only be dragged from the list to a MIDI track, I could do the same thing by copying the MIDI and pasting it to another MIDI track. There may be some use case for that, but I really don't see the benefit over having the audio produced from the bounce instead.

Especially since my experience so far has been that Mixbus doesn't handle VST resource allocation very well. In mostly every session I have, I'm fortunate to get just 1 VST playing w/o peaking the DSP.
iMac Pro 27, 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel XEON, 256GB RAM • iMac Pro 27, 3GHz 10-Core XEON, 64GB RAM • Apollo x8p, UAD Satellite Octo • Yamaha XF8 • KORG Oasis • OSX Monterey • OSX Ventura • MixBus 32c • Logic • StudioOne • Cubase
(01-02-2024, 07:30 AM)maestro777 Wrote: Thanks for providing the stem export alternative. I'll use that or simply do it in my other DAW. BUT I don't understand the purpose of bouncing MIDI if it's only going to give me a MIDI sequence instead of the audio Huh

If you want to create audio from a MIDI track then in Mixbus you Export that sequence.
The word bounce might mean different things in different DAW's...

(01-02-2024, 07:30 AM)maestro777 Wrote: Especially since my experience so far has been that Mixbus doesn't handle VST resource allocation very well. In mostly every session I have, I'm fortunate to get just 1 VST playing w/o peaking the DSP.

I have absolutely no issue running multiple VST audio and MIDI plugins on either of my two macOS systems.
I can run multiple VST instruments without issue: SSD5 Drums, MODO Drums, MODO Bass and any number of keyboard instruments.
You might want to trash all your preferences, do a full factory re-install and get back to basics.
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
(01-03-2024, 05:04 PM)Dingo Wrote: If you want to create audio from a MIDI track then in Mixbus you Export that sequence.
The word bounce might mean different things in different DAW's...

Sure, perhaps you're right but it seems to imply the same meaning in this case only the manner in which it's performed is different.

In Logic, bouncing the MIDI creates the audio file rendered from the MIDI and it's immediately available as an audio track within the UI.

In Mixbus the MIDI bounce is apparently a 2 step process where I'm presented to "bounce" the MIDI whereas it actually exports the generated audio file. Which I subsequently have to browse to outside of the UI and import it back into my session.

Not a big deal and now that you've explained it and I'm certainly not loosing sleep over it.

(01-03-2024, 05:04 PM)Dingo Wrote: I have absolutely no issue running multiple VST audio and MIDI plugins on either of my two macOS systems.
I can run multiple VST instruments without issue: SSD5 Drums, MODO Drums, MODO Bass and any number of keyboard instruments.
You might want to trash all your preferences, do a full factory re-install and get back to basics.

Thanks for the tip.

The default preferences were hardly modified at all. Maybe 1 or 2 settings at most but for whatever reason deleting the preferences, trashing the Mixbus Installations (b/c I had both Mixbus and Mixbus 32C installed) and re-installing only Mixbus 32C seems to have resolved quite a few issues.

Overally performance seems to have improved signficantly over what I was previously noting.

There is still an issue with latency where there is a delay between the time a MIDI note is triggered to when the sound is actually heard. But I know this is typical in every DAW. The delay is now very minimal in comparison with what it was still enough present to where I can't play the VST instruments in real time with my audio while recording even when balancing between the buffer sizes and audio playback. So I'm just going to stick with Logic for this.

Logic has a feature called Low Latency Mode where when enabled there is zero latency recording and hearing VST's while audio is playing. I thought that PDC button in Mixbus might offer the same if not similar functionality but it doesn't appear to.

Per Apple, "In Low Latency mode, audio is routed around latency-inducing plug-ins to ensure that all delays (across the entire signal flow of the current track) remain under the Limit slider value in the Plug-in Latency"

Guess I'm a bit spoiled having that feature. Again, no big deal. What I can't comfortable acheive in Mixbus I'll do in Logic.

Thanks for your help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_ZbFXZFVg
(01-05-2024, 11:48 AM)mixbuswlk Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW_ZbFXZFVg

Thanks! Typical case of not seeing the forest for the trees. Big Grin
Plus I hadn't considered this as an alternative to bouncing.