Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Playback speed
Is there a way to change the playback speed?
On my MPCs and in Ableton (even YouTube) one can easily change the playback speed.
On an MPC, if the track is at 120 BPM, I simply change it to 60 BPM and it plays back at half speed (or 90 BPM for 3/4 speed).
I'm not talking about or concerned with pitch changes!
When I'm editing I use my ears as well as my eyes. 16th notes at 120 BPM or higher) are much easier to hear whether they are behind, ahead of, or on the beat at half-speed.
I understand Varispeed for recording. I simply want to change the playback speed.
Thank you.
https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...nsport-bar
Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
but does this not only make it faster (1.5 to 8x), I think Robert needs slower playback..
2023 Mac mini m2pro with 32GB RAM with audient id44mk2
(12-05-2023, 04:50 AM)Dingo Wrote: https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...nsport-bar

Hi Dingo,
And thank you for your reply. I did read the manual in that area concentrating on the VS possibilities. The VS will slow down playback, but the mouse must hold it in place, with no latch; as soon as you release the button, it returns. I am looking to truly slow down the playback to half or three-quarter speed. So far I have not found the technique. This is a bit bizarre because it is so simple to accomplish in other DAWs...
(12-07-2023, 02:56 AM)Robert Wrote:
(12-05-2023, 04:50 AM)Dingo Wrote: https://rsrc.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus...nsport-bar

Hi Dingo,
And thank you for your reply. I did read the manual in that area concentrating on the VS possibilities. The VS will slow down playback, but the mouse must hold it in place, with no latch; as soon as you release the button, it returns. I am looking to truly slow down the playback to half or three-quarter speed. So far I have not found the technique. This is a bit bizarre because it is so simple to accomplish in other DAWs...

Hi Robert,
I assume from your response that you are running Mixbus Standard, with Mixbus 32C there is a VariSpeed key that allows persistent varispeed play.

Macmini 8,1 | OS X 13.6.3 | 3 GHz i5 32G | Scarlett 18i20 | Mixbus 10 | PT_2024.3.1 .....  Macmini 9,1 | OS X 14.4.1 | M1 2020 | Mixbus 10 | Resolve 18.6.5
Hi Dingo,
No, I am running 32c.
It appears to allow the choice to speed up the playback, but not to slow it down, as Arthie pointed out in an earlier reply.
Robert
@ Robert...
What version of Mixbus 32C are you running and on what OS ? From memory Varispeed Play / Record came in v7 or maybe 8.

I am running Mixbus32C v9.2.172 and I can successfully run Varispeed playback fast or slow.#

If you right click on the shuttle bar, that will give you options for fastest scrolling speed.
If you click on the Varispeed VS button, a pop-up will appear, dial in your varispeed rate as % or semitone etc, then press the VS button and it will start flashing red.

You can now play (or record) in Varispeed mode.

Check Preferences / Transport and make sure that reset default speed is disabled.

#Note = This function is only available in 32C.
(12-07-2023, 03:58 PM)Dingo Wrote: @ Robert...
What version of Mixbus 32C are you running and on what OS ? From memory Varispeed Play / Record came in v7 or maybe 8.

I am running Mixbus32C v9.2.172 and I can successfully run Varispeed playback fast or slow.#

If you right click on the shuttle bar, that will give you options for fastest scrolling speed.
If you click on the Varispeed VS button, a pop-up will appear, dial in your varispeed rate as % or semitone etc, then press the VS button and it will start flashing red.

You can now play (or record) in Varispeed mode.

Check Preferences / Transport and make sure that reset default speed is disabled.

#Note = This function is only available in 32C.
Hi Dingo,
Mixbus 32c V9.2.150 (I see yours is 9.2.172, should I update somehow?) Windows 11, 32 GB RAM.
I followed your instructions. Here's the piece I was getting wrong: When you click on VS and enter your new percentage, you must leave that dialogue box open, and then it runs slower. If you close the dialogue box, as you would a preference setting, it resumes normal speed. Thank you for working through this with me!
Kind regards,
Robert
Updates are available via the Harrison website...bottom of page are download links.

https://store.harrisonaudio.com/all-products/mixbus32c
Thank you!