Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plugin Latency with VST - How to resolve???
[System Specs]

iMac Pro
3GHz 10-Core Intel
64GB RAM
Ventura 13.6.1

The first plugin I loaded into Mixbus was one of the packaged Organs that were included. Sounded amazing and 0 latency so I suppose I was caught by surprise when I tried running a few different VST plugins I owned and got a 1 second delay from trigger to sound.

In logic there is a feature called Low Latency mode which basically does some fancy bypassing on some of the routing for some plugins and Voila! latency issue gone. Of course you have to turn it off after recording your VST track but it resolves the immediate issue of latency.

I'm suspecting I already know what the answer to my first question is but I'm shooting out anyway. Is there a comparable feature within Mixbus that can alleviate the latency issue?

If not, what are my options here? I know I could reduce the buffer size but in this particular case I have quite a few tracks so lowering the buffer would likely allow me to reduce the latency issue; but then I'd have another issue with playback.

I have noted that there is an option in the upper left corner of my VST plugins that allows you to "Edit Plugin Delay/Latency Compensation" but it only allows you to enter positive values for the samples/milliseconds which simply makes the issue worse. I believe if it would allow negative values to be entered that would present a more feasible solution that just may work but it doesn't.

Also tried toggling the "Disable PDC" feature and increasing/decreasing the buffer size. Neither has any effect for resolving the problem.

I've searched this forum, online and the manual and cannot find anything for addressing this in MixBus. Yet I can't believe I am the only one ever seeing this issue.

Suggestions? What's the remedy?? At present, attempting to record any VST instruments with my comps is totally unusable b/c I cannot record in time. There has to be something I'm missing.

UPDATE:

Seems this problem is only happening with a session I created having 50 tracks. Which isn't a lot of tracks
- 50 audio tracks
- 2 VST Instruments
- 18 FX plugins (No more than 2 max on any given channel)
6 plugins on the Master bus
4 UAD so no DSP being used by the system. These are UAD powered plugins
8 Native plugins

All audio was imported from a Logic session where I originally did the mix

When I open a brand new session and drop a VST track in it, no latency issues at all.

Can't understand why and how such a stellar piece of software with so much dedicated detail in reproducing the original analog hardware and nice UI can lack in such a trivial area.

I'm liking the Mixbus sound but looks like it simply going to cut it as a replacement of my main DAW for creating mixes.

Very disappointed with this find though.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

iMac Pro 27, 3.2GHz 8-Core Intel XEON, 256GB RAM • iMac Pro 27, 3GHz 10-Core XEON, 64GB RAM • Apollo x8p, UAD Satellite Octo • Yamaha XF8 • KORG Oasis • OSX Monterey • OSX Ventura • MixBus 32c • Logic • StudioOne • Cubase
(11-18-2023, 04:11 PM)maestro777 Wrote: [System Specs]

iMac Pro
3GHz 10-Core Intel
64GB RAM
Ventura 13.6.1

The first plugin I loaded into Mixbus was one of the packaged Organs that were included. Sounded amazing and 0 latency so I suppose I was caught by surprise when I tried running a few different VST plugins I owned and got a 1 second delay from trigger to sound.

In logic there is a feature called Low Latency mode which basically does some fancy bypassing on some of the routing for some plugins and Voila! latency issue gone. Of course you have to turn it off after recording your VST track but it resolves the immediate issue of latency.

I'm suspecting I already know what the answer to my first question is but I'm shooting out anyway. Is there a comparable feature within Mixbus that can alleviate the latency issue?

If not, what are my options here? I know I could reduce the buffer size but in this particular case I have quite a few tracks so lowering the buffer would likely allow me to reduce the latency issue; but then I'd have another issue with playback.

I have noted that there is an option in the upper left corner of my VST plugins that allows you to "Edit Plugin Delay/Latency Compensation" but it only allows you to enter positive values for the samples/milliseconds which simply makes the issue worse. I believe if it would allow negative values to be entered that would present a more feasible solution that just may work but it doesn't.

Also tried toggling the "Disable PDC" feature and increasing/decreasing the buffer size. Neither has any effect for resolving the problem.

I've searched this forum, online and the manual and cannot find anything for addressing this in MixBus. Yet I can't believe I am the only one ever seeing this issue.

Suggestions? What's the remedy?? At present, attempting to record any VST instruments with my comps is totally unusable b/c I cannot record in time. There has to be something I'm missing.

UPDATE:

Seems this problem is only happening with a session I created having 50 tracks. Which isn't a lot of tracks
- 50 audio tracks
- 2 VST Instruments
- 18 FX plugins (No more than 2 max on any given channel)
    6 plugins on the Master bus
    4 UAD so no DSP being used by the system. These are UAD powered plugins
    8 Native plugins

All audio was imported from a Logic session where I originally did the mix

When I open a brand new session and drop a VST track in it, no latency issues at all.

Can't understand why and how such a stellar piece of software with so much dedicated detail in reproducing the original analog hardware and nice UI can lack in such a trivial area.

I'm liking the Mixbus sound but looks like it simply going to cut it as a replacement of my main DAW for creating mixes.

Very disappointed with this find though.
If a plugin has latency, then there os nothing you can abou the latency. I don't know what Logic does, but even Logic can not change the latency of a plugin. What a DAW can do is compensate the latency. That meeans, 'feed the plugin x samples or milliseconds before time' - or in other words delay everything by that amount. That's, what this latency compensation means.
I suspect, that one ore more of your plugins does has about one cecond latency and reports this, then everything will be delayed by that amount. 
You can try to disable all plugins and enable them one by one to find the culprit.
MB 32C 9.1.324 / Ubuntu 22.04 LTS - KDE / Kernel 5.14.0 / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core / NVIDIA GP108 Driver 390.147 / Focusrite Scarlett 18i20