Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is perfection?
In my world, I would have lost a customer or gotten a message to redo and do things right if I made the mistakes that I described below, but it turns up that the songs below live good and well with them.

I just happened to listen to Whitney Houston's version of I Will Always Love You, and suddenly, I noticed the very prominent plosives that appear in the beginning where she sings a cappella. The first plosive already appears on the first word in the song, and it's the "f" in "If". I listened to the official 4K YouTube Video and started to wonder if she sang live from the scene in the movie, the same thing goes on in the original version of the recording, but it is a little less prominent to me, so the video is probably a little more compressed and or loaded; I just used my ears here, so it's my very subjective feeling.

My respect for the name of the artist and the recording staff behind the recording has prevented me from hearing this, but now it stands out. Up to now, I would never record or let the plosives be as prominent as on this recording but with Whitney's stunning vocals and the fact that this recording also serves as a golden moment in the music history, I must reconsider and think a little bit. Here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/3JWTaaS7LdU?si=kwYzM3vbmoD7boSp

The next examples are something I have noticed for years and the artists I mention here are these days hot and actual again with new releases. Let's begin with the Rolling Stones and Honky Tonk Woman. Here, the tempo varies like crazy. The cowbell in the intro starts at around 108 BPM, and the drums continue steeply at 112 BPM (rounding up to integers here). If I recall it right, the maximum speed on this song is around 125 and the speed varies very much throughout the whole song. In addition to the tempo flaws, the musicians are making mistakes here and there which would make me crazy in the studio or in the practice room, but the history proves that it works. This is a perfect song for training tempo-mapping in Mixbus32C. Again: -This is among the most popular songs in modern history and I love it.

https://youtu.be/hqqkGxZ1_8I?si=rWYEoFxEfrnAwnAe

Last but not least, we have John Lennon and Working Class Hero. From 1:25 to 1:45, you can hear they have glued in another take of the song. Phil Spector was among the producers here and I wonder what happened during this recording. They must certainly have had the resources to make this better, if not there, at least at a later point, and I wonder what happened. What is just good enough? I notice that someone has tried to make the difference less prominent in later mixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMewtlmkV6c

It's clear that human performance has been the winner over perfection here, something to be aware of if a customer or producer lets us as engineers or musicians slip through in these razor-sharp times of accurate rhythms and surgical cutting and adjustments. What do you think, are there more well-known examples?
Mixbus/Mixbus32C on Linux (Kubuntu)/KXStudio repositories.
GUI: KDE and Fluxbox
You are very right in two things. 1. the performance is the driving factor in any song. and 2. nothing is perfect. In any recording i make, or any things i write ot draw i see the little mistakes as glaring as the mid day sun. that is the nature of the creative mind. In my secular work i find that i have learned to live with less that perfect. I strive for "wow that is pretty darned good!" Seriously when you finish any project you will hear small imperfections in the mix. Some you can try to fix others are just there sometimes as a result of the performance. If performance were not the key, and perfection was some artist would not exist. examples Kris Kristoferson, i have never hear a perfect vocal from him, he is always slightly struggling with the key. Still i love some of his recordings, and certainly admire his song writing. the late great Jimmy Buffett was not a great singer far from it, but the overall product was fun and created a empire.

i guess the moto should be strive for excellence not perfection!
Older Mac Mini 16 gig 1TB drive. MixBus32c latest version, Reaper 6, Band in a Box 2023, Presonus Audiobox VSL1818, several guitars. 
In nowadays world all values are being destroyed. I have examples about our history, about famous people etc to appear on youtube eg. to say nor being famous, not being rightful, not being good hearted..... and all lies...

Although what you noticed is true, nevertheless, it is supporting the nowadays "Kill-value trend" idea...that you for sure did not want
So in your place I would prefer deleting this post.

we know that "done is better than perfect" and the whole worls is not perfect...
So skip being negativeSmile
best
Tassy
Win7/64, Mixbus32C, Mixbus2.5 the QueenSmile UR22, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Pc all SSD,
I see (4) different areas in the pursuit of perfection:
1) The song itself
2) The song's arrangement
3) The performance of the song
4) The capture of the performance

1) The song itself is a representation of someone's state of mind. Does the melody provoke feelings? Do the lyrics make sense?
When the song is captured (later) Does the author feel it should have been improved somehow? A change of words perhaps?

2) Does the song's arranger (could be the song's author or someone else) have any remorse after the capture?
Would the middle-8th have sounded better in another key? Maybe a different string arrangement? BG Vocals on the last chorus?

3) The performers were doubling vocals and sang different words (Re: "Please Please Me" - the Beatles)

4) The Final Mix of the recording is just a bit too bright. There's just a tad too much bass.

Any of the above areas are subject to imperfection, and open to anyone's criticism:
    - The vocalist might feel he/she delivered a perfect take, yet the critics felt it was compressed too much.
    - The band felt they finally nailed a take only to find that their tempo was all over the place.

How is perfection gauged? And by Whom is it declared?  You can edit just about any questionable passage to be perfect in your ears but,
in doing do, you've (possibly) taken the "life" out of it. You've spent hours getting rid of all the plosives in the vocal track, stray noises in between instrumentation,
EQ'd for exquisite frequency balance and then the producer decides to use a different take.

I guess the bottom line is .... Try your best not to put out crap, but accept the fact that perfection, in the final product
is an illusive animal, one that few few have ever captured.

Cheers,
Patrick